Author Topic: Watching the Red Claws vs Iowa Energy replay now: another Fab Melo monster night  (Read 15079 times)

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xNy487Gv6WA

Watching this replay right now after the very tight, somewhat disappointing loss (whatcha gonna do? Playing against one of the best frontcourts with KG cold, Pierce cold and AB out). Yes, it left a sour taste in my mouth but it was a great basketball game.

What a stat line by Fab Melo two games after his concussion (http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130118/IWAMNE/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200142). 26 points, 3 blocks, 7 boards, a steal and insane efficiency. All this against the NBA-tested Josh Boone.

I suspect Melo's production has something to do with the return of Chris Wright, him being pretty much the only NBA-ready player there. Outside of Wright you have a team of mostly shooters.

The defensive pressure on Fab Melo has been noticeably increased after his breakout games and Wright might have helped alleviate that.

Game starts at 16:00. There is an interview with their head coach (I believe?) at about 9:00 minutes. He says Fab Melo will be evaluated against certain goals (apparently some to do with conditioning) and could very well get called up once he reaches them.

Updates (all timestamps are with reference to the youtube video):

19:50 Melo hustles down the floor, ends with a nice JAM on the break.

I remember someone calling Fab slow. I'd say he's not fast but he's definitely not slow for a 7 footer. Runs the floor for a 7 footer very well. I'd say as fast as Pierce is right now.

20:30 Wright is a do-it-all kind of guy. Lost the handle there but he's probably the only player who can finish that on the team. Apart from Melo, most of these guys are D-League role players who spot up for the jumper mostly.

21:20 Boone scores against Melo. Might be one of the goals that the coach(?) was talking about at the start - the little things in post D that Fab Melo's still missing.

22:00 Fab Melo with the HUGE rejection.

Although, again, Boone with great position. I think the nuances of the game might be one of the things that they want to see from Fab before calling him up. Although that was raw athleticism by Melo there.

22:10 Chris Wright with the cut. Wish Jeff Green could cut like that.

24:00, 24:30 Here's what I was talking about. Players outside of Chris Wright are mostly jump shooters right now even at this level. 3 possessions spoiled with the ball not even sniffing the 3 point semicircle.

27:45 Very nice stroke by Melo on the jump shot after facing up his man. I love his confidence.

28:20 Here's what I was talking about. Major mismatch and they're unable to capitalize. Their offense revolves around spot up shooting. I admire their defensive effort and hustle, however, on most nights, which is half the reason they win (the other being Fab).

28:40 Bad call on Melo. Great positioning by Fab on that charge attempt though (who was a good charge taker in college too if I recall correctly).

33:00 Maine digging themselves a bit of a trench with sloppy basketball, Melo benched for foul trouble (and Wright on the bench as well I believe).

37:40 Green could also use that move. I don't think Wright's handles are amazing but that explosive first step and the left hand dribble, one dribble drive could open up Green's game a lot.

39:30 Here's how inept the roster is on offense without Melo and Wright. It's hustle, spot up shooting, fast breaks and defense but very little ability to create.

41:40 Ugly quarter for Maine. Knowing the result, I am very excited for the next three quarters and Fab Melo's takeover of the game.

44:42 Fab Melo back for the 2nd quarter.

44:48 Downs has a pretty good up and under move that he doesn't go to enough. Wish him best.

46:25 Another thing Fab Melo's good at is passing. Nice two man game. Too bad Wright wasn't able to finish. (But they get it right back for the dunk).

47:10 Good rotation by Fab I think. Guard defense was bad and Melo can't exactly defend 2 players.

47:30 Great cut by Melo leads to free throws.

48:00 1-2 on free throws by Fab. But Wright hustles for the free throw rebound. Again, Jeff Green could learn a thing or two from this guy.

49:20 Melo going for the offensive rebounds. Unsuccessful but I like.

49:44 Melo intimidates the guard into not driving then draws the charge. Great defense!

50:27-51:01 Melo fumble starts a chain of events. Micah Downs with the very nice drive, Iowa throws it up the floor, Wright rejects Boone, Micah Downs throws it away...more fumbles and Boone ends up with the bucket. Nice hustle by the Red Claws, though.

51:15 Again, Jeff Green with the Chris Wright mentality would be so awesome. Rebounds his own miss and shows hustle.

51:20 Fab Melo just appeared underneath the basket out of nowhere. More free throws. Edit: that was actually poor communication by the defense

52:10 Commentators talk about Fab Melo's rebounding. While it would be nice if he got double digit rebounds, I think he's been boxing out Boone pretty nicely so far. I'm fine with him not grabbing boards if he's denying the other team of rebounds.

54:08 Micah Downs again. This time he draws the foul. I remember him being a jump shooter mostly before today. Hope he gets a chance in the big league. And a steal after he hits the freebies (couldn't finish after going all the way though).

55:40 Fab Melo with the jump shot. If you D him up close, he can blow by you with his solid footwork.

56:43 Melo with the outlet leading to the Wright alley-oop. Fab Melo showing his passing skills again [/url]

59:40 Fab Melo out.

1:00:05 Sick rejection by Micah Downs.

1:07:30 Fab Melo, Wright back in.

1:08:00 Melo may have lost the ball but at least there's no Perk-wind-up.

1:08:30 This shot is what would be Melo's only miss for the night from the field.

1:09:00 Fab Melo draws the foul on the jumper.

1:10:17 Fab Melo slips Boone as Boone attempts to front him and gets the easy lay in. I feel like Fab has a far better feel for the game right now(not just in scoring the ball but overall. Right there was a great cut though) compared to summer league Melo.

1:10:49 Melo was scored on but he seems to be contesting a lot of shots. On top of that, his rotations seem solid so far despite his aggressive help D.

1:12:07 Micah Downs really asserting himself tonight. Very nice shot then an emphatic block on Boone as the half ends.

1:28:20 Defenders sagging off Melo caused that turnover. Might be another one of Melo's "goals".

1:29:25 And-1 by Melo. Crazy athleticism and nice awareness of Boone being out of position

1:32:04 Nice hustle by the Red Claws's PG (Andre Barrett). I like.

1:36:00 Fab Melo on the break off the turnover! Barrett with the very nice find again.

1:36:22 Another turnover! Micah Downs posterizes someone!

1:36:50 Fab with good positioning on D to complete 24 seconds of good D. Shot clock turnover.

1:39:05 Nice handles by Barrett for the layup

1:40:10 Missed dunk by Wright. Nice display of athleticism.

1:41:20 Boone dunk on the break off the long rebound miss. He's making the best of his opportunities when Melo's not all over him.

1:42:07 Fab Melo out

1:42:20 Micah Downs with the floater, again.

1:46:07 Micah Downs on the break with the flush

1:49:30 Fab Melo back in.

1:49:54 Fab Melo with the hook shot. Nice touch from a spot quite far from the basket.

1:52:00-1:55:00 4th quarter

1:55:20 Fab Melo with the block and good help on D

1:55:35 Nice try by Fab on the offensive glass but he couldn't save that.

1:56:00 Poor rotation by Fab's teammates again

1:56:20 Fab Melo fouled on the jumper. Boone is getting owned tonight.

1:57:35 Fab Melo prevented that Boone dunk.[/b] Not sure if he was awarded the block. (Edit: He's not)

Melo is just not respecting Boone as he's very aggressively helping on D, leaving Boone in good position, and using his athleticism to get back. And it's been working too.

1:58:47 Fab Melo with the easy dunk. Love how he moves without the ball.

1:59:00 Fab Melo nice steal but throws it right back. His only turnover of the night right here.

2:00:40 Fab Melo with the oop dunk! Barrett again with the assist! Nice awareness by Melo to take advantage of the sleeping defense[/b]

2:01:15 First foul from bad positioning by Fab Melo from what I've seen. He's transitioned from the 'Cuse zone very nicely in my opinion.

Melo benched.

2:03:33 Fab Melo promptly back in againfor the hurt Vandermeer.

2:05:26 Son of James Silas - Xavier Silas - tying up the game. Barrett with the Red Claws' record for assists on what I believe is his D-League season debut.

2:05:50 I like Fab Melo's positioning on the boards. Nothing for Melo but, like I've said, he prevents opposing rebounds.

2:07:57 Red Claws merchandise. Cute.

2:09:50 Downs with yet another bucket. He's been good tonight.

2:10:05 Goaltend by Fab Melo as he shows his absurd athleticism appearing out of nowhere to nail that shot.

2:10:48 Good job by Fab not fouling against the guard penetration. Good D.[/b]

2:11:07 Another block by Micah Downs.

2:11:50 Micah Downs with the weird shot that goes in somehow. Crucial shot.

2:15:00 Hard screen by Melo and Silas hits the wide open J.

2:16:08 Fab Melo with a hard foul.

2:18:10 Fab Melo with another block and Wright converts a CONTESTED alley oop on the other end! (Edit: block was awarded to Wright. Both Melo and Wright went up for the block)

2:18:38 Fab Melo with the nice rotation on the penetration and great recovery on Boone immediately after, preventing 2 potential buckets

2:20:47 Chris Wright with the sick block![/b]

2:23:30 Silas is a nice player. He should ice the game with these free throws.

2:25:40 Hard foul by Fab Melo. Nice rotation by Fab Melo against a guard with a full head of steam.

Melo fouls out.

2:29:00 foul game here on out.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:06:36 AM by bfrombleacher »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I think at some point Melo will be called up and contribute. He is better than Collins right now but he is benefiting by playing more minutes right now.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
nice game by Fab.

think he likes to score and may become a decent shot as he has nice form and soft touch.

DOn't trade him Danny . ;)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Melo seems like his game could complement Sullinger very well once he learns the ropes.

Hope we get the chance to see them flourishing together (on the Celtics) a year or three from now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
Fab Melo did most of his damage within the context of the game and within his comfort zone, not forcing things. Not the flashiest of monster games but a monster game nonetheless.

You could just about call this a perfect game as Fab has played near perfect positional D (I counted two mistakes personally) and only had one turnover on an outlet pass. He's doing all the right things on both ends of the floor otherwise (setting solid screens, cutting...etc.).

As I've pointed out, Melo's rebounding isn't great but now that he's boxing out, at least the opposing center isn't getting any rebounds either. Boone finished with 4 rebounds tonight and, as per usual, scored most of his 18 when he was not being guarded by Melo.

New addition Andre Barrett, a very traveled veteran, had a Red-Claws-record-breaking 17 assists. He certainly played a part in Melo's performance tonight as he was able to hit Melo on several of Melo's cuts as well as on the break, which Mack (or whoever the previous PG was) was unable to.

Melo was confident in the post tonight as well, hitting 2 face up jumpers and a hook (a bit further from the basket than last I saw). He's also very well aware of his limits.

Towards the very end of the game, you can see him huffing and puffing on a couple of possessions. I think conditioning and some minor tricks of trade might be the "goals" that the coach was mainly talking about in the pregame interview. (I do recommend watching part of the interview (9 minutes in).)

Certainly a promising performance. And I'm very impressed with Celtics management. Nothing conclusive can be drawn here but definitely progress was made.

As for non-Melo performances:
As mentioned before, Barrett ran the show amazingly. I think Doc talked about needing a backup point guard. This might be the reason Maine got this guy but I'm doubtful with our guard rotation so full. I really like his playmaking either way.

The return of Wright has taken a bit of a load off Melo's shoulders. Again, I'd be happy if Green could learn a thing or two from this guy.

Micah Downs made huge plays on both ends of the floor as well. He seems to be much better at getting his shot off near the basket this game.

Finally, Xavier Silas hit some big shots.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:54:05 AM by bfrombleacher »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think boxing out would help him a lot but what would help him more is working on his hands.

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Yet he rots away in the D league as The celtics continue to struggle with the need for a center ::)  Go figure.

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
never know maybe the celtics are giving him as many minutes in d league as he can get to develop (instead of sitting on bench/playing 6 minutes) and if a trade doesn't open up he is called up as 3rd string center or 4th depending on collins match up

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'm going to the game tonight. Can't wait to see Fab. Hope he isn't too tired from last night's game and plays well.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Minutes is what Fab needs.  He agile for a 7 footer , he just needs massive amounts of basketball and court time.

He looks more comfortable , not nervous , chatting with fans, ects. 

He could help some in situations I suppose, but its still too soon IMO. He needs Soooooo much work in so many aspects of the game , basically he needs to learn everything SULLY already knows.  In a NBA game he would get little chance to deveople a game and get the experience other guys have already gained by playing all their life.

Fab has a soft touch on his shot like Tim Duncan and can hit his foul shots...HUGE asset for a 7 footer. Cause he is gonna be hammered in the NBA.

Its nice to know we have promising young center . You can bet the HEAT would love to have Fab Melo.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Watched Fab 's whole game tonight,   the 2 nd game in a row with IOWA Energy.

He had an overall decent game.  One that doesn't speak of huge stats,  but of solid defense and hustle plays . His presence in the game , makes the game at least at this level a jump shooting game for the opponent.   Fab took charges , blocked shots , made a couple slick interior passes to teamates , unselfishly ( SEEING a better shot available than his own)  .

Other words he is practicing the right ideas .  Playing a Celtic like complete game or unselfish , defense intense ball with smart shots on offens end.

He had a HUGE screwup play , UGH ..at the end of the game , luck it didn't cost the team the game.  He fouled a 3 point shooter with a Maine lead and like 1 minute on the clock....up till that point he'd made mostly nice decsions .

He runs the floor nice for a big and willing to take a charge .  He goes after the guards when they get in the paint,  thye have to really shoot a difficult floater shot over him to score inside.  He protects the paint pretty nice at this level.

By playoff time , maybe he could give a few nice defensive minutes or breaks for KG in the paint . Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Yet he rots away in the D league as The celtics continue to struggle with the need for a center ::)  Go figure.

This is the same D league that Luke Harangody currently leads in rebounding?

::)

(I never use emoticons, but I just couldn't resist).

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

This is the same D league that Luke Harangody currently leads in rebounding?

::)

(I never use emoticons, but I just couldn't resist).
Yeah he's not even considered one of the top 30 players in the D-league right now... there are about 40 players outperforming him.  The most dominant player in the D-League was Chris Douglas-Roberts... he was the Lebron James of that children's league... and so far since being called up by the Mavericks he's averaging 2.8 points and 1 rebound on 36% shooting ...

In other words... he's rotting away in the d-league for good reason.

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
Watched Fab 's whole game tonight,   the 2 nd game in a row with IOWA Energy.

He had an overall decent game.  One that doesn't speak of huge stats,  but of solid defense and hustle plays . His presence in the game , makes the game at least at this level a jump shooting game for the opponent.   Fab took charges , blocked shots , made a couple slick interior passes to teamates , unselfishly ( SEEING a better shot available than his own)  .

Other words he is practicing the right ideas .  Playing a Celtic like complete game or unselfish , defense intense ball with smart shots on offens end.

He had a HUGE screwup play , UGH ..at the end of the game , luck it didn't cost the team the game.  He fouled a 3 point shooter with a Maine lead and like 1 minute on the clock....up till that point he'd made mostly nice decsions .

He runs the floor nice for a big and willing to take a charge .  He goes after the guards when they get in the paint,  thye have to really shoot a difficult floater shot over him to score inside.  He protects the paint pretty nice at this level.

By playoff time , maybe he could give a few nice defensive minutes or breaks for KG in the paint . Keeping my fingers crossed.

Caught the fourth quarter, watching the first three now.

At one point he had 7 boards in 14, 15, 16 minutes or so if my memory serves right.

And, yes, he's been doing all the right things that don't show up on the stat sheet. Boxing out, setting screens, rotations, hustle plays, deflecting shots, being in the right place on offense.

There's definitely progress since the summer league and even from previous games.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
basically he needs to learn everything SULLY already knows.

The thing is, there are 10 year veterans in the league who don't know half of what Sully knows.  Would you say Dwight Howard or Andrew Bynum have even half the basketball IQ Sully has?  I don't think so, but they are still top 5 centers in the NBA.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Fab's IQ to ever get on Sully's level, but then it ever has to be.