Author Topic: Why was Jet in on the last play?.  (Read 3803 times)

Re: Why was Jet in on the last play?.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 10:57:26 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Instead of Jet in this place has to be a big man(Perkins was before)

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 11:00:17 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Do you think any other players on the Celtics team would be capable of stopping Belinelli turn around, leaning backwards flick shot?

Yes, Green or Pierce.  Belinelli shot that from a low angle.  A bigger guy than Terry like Pierce or Green could have either blocked it or put so much pressure on the shot that Belinelli might have missed.  That's beside the point anyway.  On the final defensive possession, you want to pull your weaker defensive players if possible.  Leaving Terry on the floor to guard a guy six inches bigger than him while Green rides the bench is nonsense. 

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Do you think any other players on the Celtics team would be capable of stopping Belinelli turn around, leaning backwards flick shot?

Yes, Green or Pierce.  Belinelli shot that from a low angle.  A bigger guy than Terry like Pierce or Green could have either blocked it or put so much pressure on the shot that Belinelli might have missed.  That's beside the point anyway.  On the final defensive possession, you want to pull your weaker defensive players if possible.  Leaving Terry on the floor to guard a guy six inches bigger than him while Green rides the bench is nonsense.

Bass was the perfect solution to stop Belinelli

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 11:02:51 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Bingo!!!!  Thank you TP!!! My god you bring up a point here and everyone wants to jump down your throat. Yes it was a circus shot but if Green is in,who is a better defensive player, he doesn't get that shot off. Again you put your best defensive players in!

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 11:15:36 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I can't fault Doc for having Jet in on that last possession.  He was playing really good D down the stretch of overtime.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 11:25:08 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Besides not subbing out Terry, I can't stand Doc's constant timeouts at the end of games.  He just loves set plays, just loves them to death.  I understand this is an odd game to complain about his excessive use of timeouts at the end of games since lot of the set pieces worked (not that the alternatives couldn't have) but [dang] do they make the games less fun to watch.  The constant timeouts kill any rhythm of a game.

I watch a lot of NBA basketball in general and no other coach calls timeouts at the end of games like Doc.  Other coaches actually let their players go up against a defense that isn't set after a timeout.  A truly novel idea. 

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 11:26:21 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I dont think it matters who was on the lineup.

Ciao Marco hit a really tough shot, I dont think anyone would have done differently.

Its the refs' fault.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 02:41:01 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why does Jet play more than 10-12 minutes a night at this point?  I really have no idea.

Either he's way closer to being toast than anticipated prior to this season, or he just needs to be on a different team.  It's not working out here.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 06:42:39 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
JET played GREAT defense last night...the best defense I have ever seen him play as a Celtic.  He is the last reason they lost.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 10:45:40 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Generally, when you force your man into an off-balance, falling down, fall-away jumper it's considered good defense, even if the ball goes in.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 10:47:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why does Jet play more than 10-12 minutes a night at this point?  I really have no idea.

Either he's way closer to being toast than anticipated prior to this season, or he just needs to be on a different team.  It's not working out here.

I thought Terry played well last night, and I agree with a lot of the comments above:  his defense was pretty good.  He definitely put a lot more energy into defense than he usually does.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 11:09:31 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Generally, when you force your man into an off-balance, falling down, fall-away jumper it's considered good defense, even if the ball goes in.

This.

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 11:17:25 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Belinelli had 3 inches on Terry.  Probably not a wise matchup choice by Doc.  Where was Lee?  Was he on the court?  If so, who was he guarding?  I forget.

Also, Lee had a fantastic first half and played much less in the second half!!  Why Doc???

I agree that Terry played good trapping D most of the game, but he was nowhere on offense until that one shot.  Lee was playing both ends well.

Gotta agree with you banner18now.

Smitty77

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
On the last offensive play Terry was in the pick and roll because he can shoot. They were trying to force a switch in which Pierce was on a smaller guy. If they didn't switch they needed someone who can knock down a jumper rolling after the pick.

On the last defensive play who would you rather have on Bellinelli? Barbosa? Green? Terry's min fault was not what he did after Marco got the ball but letting him get deep position like that in the first place. Terry got caught ball watching and did not contest Belli's cut.

Having him be a part of the last offensive play worked and it could pay dividends down the road as far as Terry's confidence.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19