Author Topic: More Valuable: Green or Sullinger?  (Read 8095 times)

More Valuable: Green or Sullinger?
« on: January 18, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
I was sitting here, on this futon, wondering who we could get back in a trade for Jeff Green, when I thought "Hmm, who's more valuable to this team as of right now, Jeff Green or our rookie pf Sullinger?" Lets say one of them goes down with injury; which injury would hurt the team worse?

What do you's guys think?
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

Re: More Valuable: Green or Sullinger?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
"Value" is an interesting thing.

I'd say Sully has more trade value, although due to salary rules in trades, he'd have to be packaged with somebody else.  I get the sense that Green probably has negative value.

In terms of importance to the team, there's an argument that Green is more important right now, just because we don't have another competent backup SF.  If Sully went down, you at least have Wilcox and Green who can theoretically play PF (although there would be a loss in rebounding.)

That said, I think Sully is more "untradeable" than Green, just because he has the potential to turn into a better player.  A legitimate starter power forward who rebounds and scores in the post would have more value than a mediocre backup (or even starting) small forward.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:44:36 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Green.

Simply put, he's our only true back up SF, and we have only one other player capable of playing SF minutes (Courtney Lee), unless we want to put a 6'2 guy at the 3.

I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I love me some Sully

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Agree right now green is more important. people rag on him and want to trade him on this forum but if he goes down we pretty much have lee to play the 3 and thats it. We get enough small ball smack on here already

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 07:52:01 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Sullinger brings more to the table and probably has more value to other teams.  The only way you can say Green is more valuable is because of lack of another player who plays the 3, as others have said.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
At this point, I'll pick Sullinger. Not giving up on Green though.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 09:16:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No brainer.  Sully.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
No brainer.  Sully.
this....valuable means has value

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 09:25:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Roy said it all IMHO.
The question has to be contextualized to make sense. Sully likely has more trade value. Sully also has more long term value for the Cs, but Green has more immediate value for the Cs (he's the only backup for Pierce).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Sully

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 11:06:02 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Good question, I will go with Sully Green is too passive for me he will never change. He is a flash player that you keep waiting to be consistent.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 11:10:55 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Sullinger is getting better and better, and also looking more and more trim. If he keeps building muscle, he will be a way legit PF in the NBA.

I was dead wrong about him.....I thought his weight/height would make him a Bass-ceiling type of player.....he is going to be a freaking beast in the paint though if he polishes his game, and keeps training hard.

I would only consider trading Sullinger for a Demarcus Cousins caliber big-man......so in other words, he's staying here, and I'm cool with that.

Green is proving to be the more expendable piece, especially at the contracted rate he's at.

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 11:37:29 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Is there even a question who is more valuable? They could get a scrub guy who gets bought out of a contract and he will give you more backing up Pierce than Green gives you most nights. Sully has the potential to be a regular double double guy. He is already far and away the best rebounder on the team. Jeff Green is pretty much mediocre at most parts of the game.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 11:38:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
No brainer.  Sully.

Right. Easy answer. One word. Sounds cool in Boston. Sully.

What would it cost us to find a serviceable 3 in the event Pierce went down? An argument can be made (by someone far more sober and invested than I, right now) that Pietrus would've been a better fit for us... and I honestly believe that.

The only thing worse than Green's contract is the fact that many still believe Ainge is a great GM.

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC