Author Topic: More Valuable: Green or Sullinger?  (Read 8094 times)

Re: More Valuable: Green or Sullinger?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 01:38:20 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No brainer.  Sully.

Right. Easy answer. One word. Sounds cool in Boston. Sully.

What would it cost us to find a serviceable 3 in the event Pierce went down? An argument can be made (by someone far more sober and invested than I, right now) that Pietrus would've been a better fit for us... and I honestly believe that.

The only thing worse than Green's contract is the fact that many still believe Ainge is a great GM.

Don't get me wrong here.

Jeff Green is much more valuable to this team than Pietrus was at any point last season.

But I'd much rather have Pietrus backing up Pierce and have Sullinger at PF than have Jeff Green and have Wilcox as the main backup PF.

And just on a basic level, I think Sullinger is a more valuable player, right now and in the future, independent of roster concerns.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 06:48:18 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I was sitting here, on this futon, wondering who we could get back in a trade for Jeff Green, when I thought "Hmm, who's more valuable to this team as of right now, Jeff Green or our rookie pf Sullinger?" Lets say one of them goes down with injury; which injury would hurt the team worse?

What do you's guys think?

Sullinger is by far more "valuable" because he is on a rookie contract and could be had for short money for the next few years of his career.  Green might be the better overall player - certainly debatable - but Sully is more valuable, especially because he is a phenom rebounding the ball.

But in the NBA it is hard to say who will get you more back in a trade, because you have to match salaries.  Sullinger straight up in a trade would only get you back another rookie or a short-priced vet, which is to say that he gets you back nothing.  Green, on the other hand, makes enough money where a straight up trade would get back a high-priced vet.

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 06:57:39 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
is this a joke?

i would trade jeff green for a bag of chips at this point, and still think i won in the trade.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 07:03:22 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
No brainer.  Sully.

Right. Easy answer. One word. Sounds cool in Boston. Sully.

What would it cost us to find a serviceable 3 in the event Pierce went down? An argument can be made (by someone far more sober and invested than I, right now) that Pietrus would've been a better fit for us... and I honestly believe that.

The only thing worse than Green's contract is the fact that many still believe Ainge is a great GM.

i still think danny is, because i think he signed jeff with the intent to trade him asap, however if feb 21 comes and jeff green doesnt get traded, i will have no choice but to say he messed up big time.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 07:28:05 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
tie
sully is improving in leaps and bounds and looks to be a solid contributor for his overall ROOKIE year and he's young
green has done just fine he needs to be given the ball more, guy is in the game with no plays run for him and is averaging just under 10 pts, plays good defense

both guys plays within the team game

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 09:00:34 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Green since we.don't have any other adequate back-up. We have Bass and Wilcox who can fill in for Sully no problem.

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Green since we.don't have any other adequate back-up. We have Bass and Wilcox who can fill in for Sully no problem.

Bass and Wilcox won't get the rebounds in two games that Sully alone gets in one. Green is value-less at this point and I doubt Danny will be able to trade him for much if anything. So, he will be on the team and continue to play well about 30 percent of the time. Can't wait.

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 10:20:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
about equal.... they are two completely different mindsets, and I actually think they play well together.

Sully maybe be more valuable by the end of next year....I 'm confident he will.  I expect him to work on his offensive game and open it up.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
is this a joke?

This.

Sully on-court the C's score 107 and allow 102. Sully off court the C's score 102 and allow 107. His net +/- is +10.

Green on-court the C's score 103 and allow 106. Green off court the C's score 105 and allow 104. Net +/- of -4.

Clearly Sully is more valuable to the C's.

Trade value is even more unequal. Sully is a good player with a chance to improve on a rookie contract. Green is a mediocre player with no chance to improve on a horrible contract.

And if the question is whether it's easier to find a good backup wing or a good backup big, we have our answer too.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 11:56:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
A truism, perhaps, but I think the value is with Sully because he is on his rookie scale.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 12:11:13 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Sully, not even close.

Kid is a solid rookie who works his butt off and is already a very good rebounder.

He has an innate sense of how to use his body to create space, and is not terribly intimidated by the big names in the league.

Scoring is off-and-on right now, but it's his first year, and that's expected.

He's surrounded by some of the best mentors in the game, and is only going to improve with his energetic effort.

Green improving or being consistent? Still waiting for that, and it seems like he's had enough time to establish himself in that respect.

He's so talented and athletic, but he has gotten used to hearing that and "resting" on those laurels, and only seems to give about 75%, (at the most).

Sully? 110%, and that alone, (especially in a rookie), is worth more, IMHO.

I love this kid ... he's a Red Auerbach kind of player, and I can't wait to see how he develops as a Celtic.

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 12:11:53 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Sullinger and it's literally not even close.

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 12:27:08 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I love these.  Sully vs. Bradley.  Sully vs. Green.  Bass vs. Lee.

How about this...

Do we like a future lineup of Rondo/Bradley/Green/Sully?

Do we like the idea of a future bench core that includes Lee and Bass?

Are we excited to see how these talents complement and support the KG/Pierce/Rondo core this year and next?

Heck, Danny should be GM of the year.

Are we surprised that all of these pieces that just came together this year didn't magically mesh together in an instant?

Something tells me we have a few more 5+ game win streaks in us coming up, and everyone will look good at some point.

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 01:18:13 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I love these.  Sully vs. Bradley.  Sully vs. Green.  Bass vs. Lee.

How about this...

Do we like a future lineup of Rondo/Bradley/Green/Sully?

Do we like the idea of a future bench core that includes Lee and Bass?

Are we excited to see how these talents complement and support the KG/Pierce/Rondo core this year and next?

Heck, Danny should be GM of the year.

Are we surprised that all of these pieces that just came together this year didn't magically mesh together in an instant?

Something tells me we have a few more 5+ game win streaks in us coming up, and everyone will look good at some point.

If Green is on this team in the future and even worse in the starting lineup, you have the perfect recipe for mediocrity. The four core players you list feature one near superstar, one great defensive guard, a potential regular double double guy and a guy who has underachieved his entire career, never been consistent, and half the time plays like he is afraid of his shadow. That core four is not something I look forward to.

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 02:54:43 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Valuable as an asset: Sullinger. Potential-wise, dollars-wise, across the board.

To our team right now: That's really tough. Green would probably have the edge here if he was consistent. We don't have a backup 3 who is viable, we desperately need his athleticism on the wing, and he's the only other 'bron-defender' that makes any sense on our roster, and even Pierce is pretty bad at it anyways. We have 3 viable PFs outside of Sullinger, but we only have 1 viable 3 outside of Pierce, and that's Green.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:11:52 AM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner