Author Topic: Josh Smith to Celtics or Rajon Rondo to Hawks trade idea  (Read 9821 times)

Josh Smith to Celtics or Rajon Rondo to Hawks trade idea
« on: January 18, 2013, 12:13:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I know these two will play together one day. I read they are close friends , and Rondo introduced Smith to his friend who later became Smith's wife.

The best solution would be to get him here via trade. Either this year or next, you have to trade for him if you plan on getting him  due to our cap restriction.

Trade idea
To Bos: Smith , Ivan Johnson
To Atl: Jeff Green, Courtney Lee and Fab Melo

For Atl: They prob have a hunch Smith will go to the Celts over the summer. And if the doesn't do a sign and trade, than the Hawks will be really screwed.  Jeff Green and Lee will be good help and i remember from the draft days , hawks were interested in Melo if he dropped to them.

For Bos: new lineup

KG - Smith - PP - Bradley - Rondo (Fast and Exciting)

Josh Smith and Rondo duo might bring out of the best of each others game. Rondo gets more assist passing it to Smith and Smith shooting percentage increases. Rondo having someone to run with who can finish on the fast break. Can you imagine the silly alley hoop dunks? Ivan Johnson would be a nice guy to pickup. Similar size/game to our Sullinger. Problem would arise to get another sf. Barbosa can fill in the role that lee plays

OR

The hawks offer first or counter offer

To Bos: Horford, Louis Williams + 1st round pick + 2nd round pick
To Hawks: Rondo + Green

For Hawks: Same reason above as how Smith Rondo combo can benefit the Celts. Could use a starting SF

For the Celts: new lineup of

Horford - KG - Pierce - Bradley - Williams (Simple and Balanced)

Suddenly you get a starting center to play along KG. Also Williams changes the way from how Rondo ran (wild and inconsistent at times), to making simple plays but also always in the background to score and shoot. Williams is a much better shooter than Rondo and at times clutch.  Still would have a solid bench consisting of Bass, Lee, Sullinger, Barbosa, Melo. Would need to focus on acquiring or drafting a future starting sf. (easier than drafting good Centers or pg's late.)

**With KG and Rondo on the same team already, it is much easier to bring Smith Here. But what do the Hawks want is the million dollar question. Before they prop wanted Sullinger. But now he has to be included if we want Smith. Danny doesn't care to do that. Especially when you could possibly get him here free over the summer somehow.

I can already imagine how interesting it would be to watch these two play. But also realize there will be at times some ugly stretches of basketball where Smith jacks up shots and misses, and Rondo plays lazy or drives and is wild. On another possibility , i think getting Horford and Williams would stabilize the lineup a bit more than now. Also it would be interesting to see how Louis Williams does as a ft pg. Kid can really score but won't jack up shots that don't go in or make lots of risky plays. He also can and is a willing passer. Again will not be the dribbler and passer rondo is, but has a huge shooting advantage that would be interesting to see how it benefits the rest of the starters.

opinions?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:19:31 AM by triboy16f »

Re: Josh Smith to Celtics or Rajon Rondo to Hawks trade idea
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Not a big fan of Smith coming to the Cs. He is a flashy inconsistent defender (much like rondo), only an average rebounder, and isnt a smart player. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:19:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Smith plays in a system where he has to be the man at times. He doesn't do that great in this situation. But when Joe Johnson was here and he played a more bosh role , he did quite well. Also he has never had a pg like rondo before, that would give him higher percentage shot chances. Defensivley he is one of the better shot blockers and decent rebounded. Bottom line is if we had him our lineup would be better imo

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I like the concept of a trade with the Hawks.

Hate to give up Rondo, but I'd do this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aof5qt6

To Hawks:
Rondo
Lee

To Cs:
Horford
Teague
Deshawn Stevenson

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 01:41:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

To Hawks:
Rondo
Lee

To Cs:
Horford
Teague
Deshawn Stevenson
the Hawks wouldn't.  The Hawks wouldn't the trade in the first post of the thread either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Rondo and Lee for Horford and Teague would be pretty money but no way the Hawks do that. I mean Horford is their future building block and they get no replacement for him in the deal.

As I've said over and over, Smith has been my prime time target ever since the off season. I just dont know what it would take to get him and if we have the right pieces to do so.

Bass
Lee
Melo
Terry
Green

Take your pick of three and add a first round pick? I mean we have Sully and Bradley for young assets the Hawks might be interested in. But not much else.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I wouldn't mind having Smith depending on who we gave up but he doesn't solve the problem with us needing a backup center.

I'd rather get Horford but no way am I giving up Rondo to get him.  he's playing center for Atlanta at the moment but he's still really just a PF.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Rondo and Lee for Horford and Teague would be pretty money but no way the Hawks do that. I mean Horford is their future building block and they get no replacement for him in the deal.

As I've said over and over, Smith has been my prime time target ever since the off season. I just dont know what it would take to get him and if we have the right pieces to do so.

Bass
Lee
Melo
Terry
Green

Take your pick of three and add a first round pick? I mean we have Sully and Bradley for young assets the Hawks might be interested in. But not much else.

Agree, tough sell to the Hawks.

Would love to have JSmoove too. Either way works for me.

Gortat would cost a lot less and not bring Smith's athleticism, but he is solid. Good consolation prize.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 11:17:30 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Smith needs to force his way to Boston. Have His agent tell ferry that if He isn't traded to Boston by February 21st, he will not agree to either re-sign this summer or agree to any Sign And trades.  he will simply sin with the Mavs this summer and the Hawks get nothing.

Once that is established, Ferry will have to fire sale Smith.   Smith, DeShawn Stevenson, and a 2nd to the Cs, and Green, Lee, Melo and a first to the Hawks.  Boston will have the caproom to fit in Smith's big future deal, and even pick up a tough, three point shooting (39%) wing to play scrap minutes (and bother LeBron) in Stevenson and his expiring contract.   

The reason Smith is the perfect addition to Boston is that he can start as a smallish 4 and also play as a big three against power threes like LeBron.  Watching him and AB run the floor with Rondo is going to make me very happy, as is Doc restricting him from taking any shots outside of 16 feet. 

This move puts Bass back where he should be, as a 4th big who plays limited minutes.  Sully would back up KG at the center, and Wilcox would play more when Smith is needed to play behind Pierce at the 3. 

I love this playoff rotation:  PP, AB, PP, Smith, KG, with Sully, Jet, Bass, Stevenson, Bosa.  That starting group is the best defensive team in the league, and RR, AB, Smith, Sully, KG isn't too shabby either. 

If the Cs could move Bass for a decent center who could play 15 mpg, that would really tighten up this rotation.  Or maybe sign Dalembert when the Bucks buy him out (although I think Miami would be the front runner), or Kamen if Dallas is out of it and will agree to let him play for a contender.   

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 11:30:08 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
As most people know I am a huge Josh Smith fan, but there is no way he comes to Boston in a trade. Atlanta wants to keep him to lure Dwight. If he does get traded, Atlanta will want to get back another player who has an expiring contract so they have more cap space to pursue free agents. This means that they want no part of Bass, Green or Lee.

The only way I see us getting Smith is if we can find a three or four team deal to a team enamored with some of our players. Or, Josh Smith could sign with us in the offseason for the MLE (unlikely). The final way in which he ends up in Boston is if KG or Pierce retire after the year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Now that rivers is gone(stern likely to approve) and kg , pp should b next, i am not sure if danny is going to stop there. Also atl will b pretty upset in losing in the paul/howard sweepstakes. So either i can see the celts trying obtain smith, though his salary wants , plus sign and trade will be tricky to do or we trade rondo to atl. To keep paul happy lac are getting doc, kg , what will atl do to make smith happy to stay?

If danny can get 2013 18, 19 and williams or teague or 18 and 2014 1st, i would do the trade. People expect lots for rondo but nobody in the league really seems to want him.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:14:12 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 06:07:46 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
How we got J. Smith is:

Trade PP to the Cavs for a pick (and I want a first round pick) and then we get the trade exemption.

Take most likely 2 picks and the trade exemption and trade that for Smith.

Essentially we would be trading PP for Smith, just have to be more creative.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

To Hawks:
Rondo
Lee

To Cs:
Horford
Teague
Deshawn Stevenson

Deshawn Stevenson is a very good defender. I liked him since he played for Wizards :)

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You're not getting Teague _and_ Horford from the Hawks. You may get Teague and a pick, if you're lucky.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It makes zero sense to get Smith without Rondo, they are best friends.