Author Topic: The Celtics are among the teams monitoring Oden's progress  (Read 7745 times)

Re: The Celtics are among the teams monitoring Oden's progress
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm not sure how much harder I could cross my fingers.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Man I'd LOVE that.  He was an amazing prospect and played pretty darn well when he got on the court.  He never really got up to speed with the pacing of the game and was consistently in foul trouble, but you could see the hype was legitimate.  If he had remained healthy, everyone agreed his worst case scenario would be Dwight Howard... just an incredible physical specimen with amazing defensive timing and instincts.

I know it's seen as a long shot at this point, but the idea of him miraculously reaching his potential while playing on the Heat makes me nauseous.  I'd LOVE to take a chance on him in Boston.  Very little could make me more excited than rolling the dice on Oden.  Low risk...unlimited potential reward.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 04:31:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Man I'd LOVE that.  He was an amazing prospect and played pretty darn well when he got on the court.  He never really got up to speed with the pacing of the game and was consistently in foul trouble, but you could see the hype was legitimate.  If he had remained healthy, everyone agreed his worst case scenario would be Dwight Howard... just an incredible physical specimen with amazing defensive timing and instincts.

I know it's seen as a long shot at this point, but the idea of him miraculously reaching his potential while playing on the Heat makes me nauseous.  I'd LOVE to take a chance on him in Boston.  Very little could make me more excited than rolling the dice on Oden.  Low risk...unlimited potential reward.

I mean, imagine if he just ceiling'd out at 11-10 and 2 blocks, while shooting 55% from the field. That's a possible scenario, right? That could happen?

Rondo
Bradley
Not Jeff Green
Sullinger
Oden

I really like that idear.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I mean, imagine if he just ceiling'd out at 11-10 and 2 blocks, while shooting 55% from the field. That's a possible scenario, right? That could happen?

Rondo
Bradley
Not Jeff Green
Sullinger
Oden

I really like that idear.
Like I said, he never really got the pacing down and got in foul trouble.  It's something Perk struggled with early in his career too.  It's something I have zero doubt he'd adjust to with time on the court.. he just never had the time.   Still.. the raw talent was very clear.    In his second season (21 games) he averaged 11 points, 8.5 rebounds, 2.3 blocks in 24 minutes while shooting 60% ... 4 fouls per game was the reason why he didn't get more minutes. 

If you projected that over 36 minutes, it's 17 points, 13 rebounds, 3.4 blocks ... 

If he can ever get back into the kind of shape he had been in... he's absolutely worth any risk you wish to take.  He wasn't a bust in the sense he wasn't good... it was just injuries.  You'd take a healthy young injury-free Greg Oden over 98% of the players in this league.   

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I think it's fair to say that if Oden gets to the point where he is healthy enough to step on the court, his worst-case-scenario at this point is rich man's Kendrick Perkins.

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If chronically injured big men and fellow Trail Blazers Bill Walton and Sam Bowie can have a couple of good (or in Walton's case, great) seasons, so can Oden.  Sign him up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 04:46:18 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 588
Where do I sign the petition?
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Ainge confirms the Celtics are monitoring Greg Oden. They haven't attempted to sign him, but they've monitored him.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 05:06:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Ainge confirms the Celtics are monitoring Greg Oden. They haven't attempted to sign him, but they've monitored him.
I'm sure this is a nonstory.  If you're a gm in this league, you probably should be monitoring Greg Oden's progress. 

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 05:06:53 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
He's well worth the risk at the minimum,  would love to see us get a TRUE center.

Imagine him and Sully after practice learning from KG!  That'd be awesome.

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 05:09:33 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Here's to hoping he's got Benjamin Button's disease. I'd love to have him but he's fragile.

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Not even worth wasting the minimum on.

When will people start giving up on this guy? The 14th and 15th surgeries?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 06:05:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's well worth the risk at the minimum,  would love to see us get a TRUE center.

Only thing he has been true is wheelchair squad.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 06:17:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Oooooh..this is almost as exciting as all the Darius Miles stuff that set this blog aBlaze back in 2008.

I can feel the hair standing up on the back of my neck.

Its deja vu all over again.

Yawn!!!!!!! He's done.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Not even worth wasting the minimum on.

When will people start giving up on this guy? The 14th and 15th surgeries?

If he's still injured at 34, people will give up on him.  So like 10 years from now.