Author Topic: Saw this over on Realgm about Barbosa  (Read 6680 times)

Re: Saw this over on Realgm about Barbosa
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Interesting

Very.

The whole "surprise" thing throw me off a bit.

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They could have easily sold him on staying till the trade deadline at least, becuase if they made a trade that cost them backcourt depth he'd get right back in the rotation.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 01:03:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
They could have easily sold him on staying till the trade deadline at least, becuase if they made a trade that cost them backcourt depth he'd get right back in the rotation.

Yeah, I think that could be reasonable.  Basically told him they need him while Bradley comes back, and perhaps if another spot opens up.  But if he is still blocked at the trade deadline, they will either trade him or buy him out. 

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
So the article is actual quotes by him?!
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 01:20:16 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Yeah, I think that could be reasonable.  Basically told him they need him while Bradley comes back, and perhaps if another spot opens up.  But if he is still blocked at the trade deadline, they will either trade him or buy him out.

Even if the deadline passes and no trades are made, I think it's pretty hard to see them buying him out as long as they're still in the playoff hunt, and considering the hard cap they face to sign players (though I'm not familiar with what a buyout of a vet min guy looks like from a cap perspective).

If Rondo, Terry or Lee rolls an ankle (or stinks), he's a key factor....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Even if the deadline passes and no trades are made, I think it's pretty hard to see them buying him out as long as they're still in the playoff hunt, and considering the hard cap they face to sign players (though I'm not familiar with what a buyout of a vet min guy looks like from a cap perspective).

Eh, Danny strongly believes in keeping up relations with agents, and I believe Barbosa is with Dan Fegan, who is pretty powerful. 

If they really don't have a role for him, I would not be the least bit surprised if he gets bought out...although I do think a trade is more likely. 

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
on: October 25, 2012 by JGod213, 02:57:38 PM

Any chance this is a half-season rental scenario here? Maybe even discussed by both parties prior to signing? 

Barbosa boosts his own value over the next month or two, then when Bradley gets back Danny could move Barbosa if the Darko experiment doesn't work out or something of the like. 

We get guard help now, flip him for need down the line.  Seems like a win-win as I'm sure Barbosa isn't ready to be a fringe-rotation player yet.
Just a thought...

I don't get many chances to toot my own horn, so i'll do it now. 

I think this entire scenario that is unfolding with Barbosa was prearranged and that Danny definitely has something up his sleave with respects to one of these guards...

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 01:32:51 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think if we deal for a big man it will be for a package including Terry. This would certainly free up some time for Barbosa.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 01:43:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I think if we deal for a big man it will be for a package including Terry. This would certainly free up some time for Barbosa.

Amen, and fingers crossed!
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 01:45:59 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Eh, Danny strongly believes in keeping up relations with agents, and I believe Barbosa is with Dan Fegan, who is pretty powerful. 

If they really don't have a role for him, I would not be the least bit surprised if he gets bought out...although I do think a trade is more likely.

I see people say this a lot and not calling you out but do you have evidence of this?

I can't think of a bunch of specific examples of it either way.

I mean that seems like something every GM would ideally want to do. Plus Danny has been ruthless with other things so what's really that big a difference?

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 01:57:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I see people say this a lot and not calling you out but do you have evidence of this?

I can't think of a bunch of specific examples of it either way.

I mean that seems like something every GM would ideally want to do. Plus Danny has been ruthless with other things so what's really that big a difference?

Depends what you consider evidence.

Its all rumors and speculation.  But here are some of the rumors and speculation that support this claim.

-Danny promising to take Orien Greene, and then when Amir Johnson was still on the board, trying to find a work around, but ending up taking Orien anyways, to make the agent happy.

-Danny working out the sign and trade for Antoine to get him paid as a favor to his agent, Mark Bartelstein

-Bartelstein returning that favor by delivering James Posey on a bargain "make good" deal in 2008, over other contenders

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 02:07:29 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
Am I the only one that thinks this could be a sign that rondo will be traded for a star big. The pg by committee would work if we got a huge upgrade in the front court in my opinion. Rondos my favorite player but it would open up a spot for barbosa especially if we moved away from the pg ball dominant offense
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Front page reports that "Barbosa requests trade".

From the article I didn't really get that? He mentioned he tried to get out but it doesnt really seems to me that he "demanded" anything.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Am I the only one that thinks this could be a sign that rondo will be traded for a star big. The pg by committee would work if we got a huge upgrade in the front court in my opinion. Rondos my favorite player but it would open up a spot for barbosa especially if we moved away from the pg ball dominant offense

A few signals could point to that but I just dont see very many deals that make sense for anybody.

Here are a couple that could maybe...MAYBE... makes sense from both teams but I dont think I would make the moves.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cl9kxn8

Rondo for Evans Cousins

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a6lyz6l

A deal for the oft rumored Lakers bigs but it doesnt make sense for LA with Nash there...
Rondo, Bass, Lee, Collins, For Gasol or Howard, Steve Blake, Meeks...

I mean I just don't see many superstar for superstar deals out there in which a team needs Rondo and the Celtics get fair return.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Leandro Barbosa has reportedly requested a trade from the Celtics. It sounds more like he's requested his release than a trade as he wants to play internationally and be close to his family. Barbosa has been an utter non-factor for the Celtics this season.

Source: Sportando Jan