Author Topic: Saw this over on Realgm about Barbosa  (Read 6686 times)

Saw this over on Realgm about Barbosa
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I am going to quote what this guy said. He used an article from Espn but its in spanish. Here is what it said over there.

This is basically what he said:

"I'm not going to lie I tried to leave a lot of times, but Danny doesn't want to let me go. He's been a fan of my bball for so many years. I wanted to get a good contract with C's but it didn't happen. But he's not going to let me go easily like this."

"This is the present situation, I have to wait for my chance. Doc talks normally with me he says that I have always to be prepared because everything can happen. I'm not Nash or Rondo, of course I prefer playing SG, but I feel confortable playing PG too. I used to in Phoenix where I won 6th man award."

"I don't know if it's a surprise (we say a bomb in Brazil), I can't talk anything. A lot will happen. Very soon you will hear about a surprise."

http://espn.estadao.com.br/noticia/304011_ignorado-leandrinho-pediu-para-sair-dos-celtics-rejeitou-fla-e-diz-que-jogaria-no-corinthians?timestamp=1358437609760

Re: Saw this over on Realgm about Barbosa
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:35:27 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
Seems like Barbosa wants out.. Interesting though.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
sounds like he wants to leave and I can't blame him.  he provides the instant offense we've been looking for (even though he doesn't really pass the ball much). 

I'm sure a better coach could use him better than Doc does.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 11:39:37 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
I just wonder what the surprise might be.. Maybe he gets released? Maybe a trade where it allows him to get into the lineup? Idk I know its out on a limb but I love rumors!

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
It's really too bad, I'm a big fan of the blur but he's stuck on the wrong end of a logjam so I can't really blame him
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
whose really surprised by this? we could have used him last night and doc barely did... we needed a guy who would penetrate and he could have jump started us offensively. I really like doc but man I was very unimpressed with his coaching last night.

he deserves more playing time than he gets, this isn't sasha or marquis daniels

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 11:52:38 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This is the link

http://espn.estadao.com.br/noticia/304011_ignorado-leandrinho-pediu-para-sair-dos-celtics-rejeitou-fla-e-diz-que-jogaria-no-corinthians?timestamp=1358437609760

I put it on a Portuguese to English translator. It clearly says that Barbosa has tryed to leave and that Doc and Danny have convinced him to stay. The fuzzy part is "the bomb". My guess is the bomb is either an inury to Rondo,
Terry, Ab, or Lee or its a trade involving AB, Terry, or Lee where Barbosa would be thrust into significant SG minutes. He makes mention of how he is more comfortable now at PG but prefers SG.

I tend to think that the likely scenario is they are getting him to stay in case of injury. My conspiracy theory is that they are planning on shipping out multiple players including a guard (Lee/Terry +Bass/Green to get a big guy and want Barbosa on the roster to step right in and take the minutes.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
wasn't he a free agent and could've signed anywhere? so why complain?
seems like nobody else wanted him anyway
he should be thankful they're playing him brief spurts where he can look good and get a chance to play some more. If he played longer minutes probably more of his flaws would be exposed

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 11:58:10 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
the more I read into this, the more he seems to know a big trade might be in the works and they're holding onto him for the pg/sg minutes he's gonna provide if they ship out some pieces.

I don't know if it's a surprise (we say a bomb in Brazil), I can't talk anything. A lot will happen. Very soon you will hear about a surprise."

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
He clearly thinks there's gonna be a trade, which could be real, or could be the org telling him it could happen so he keeps his head in the game and the team...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Interesting

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
sounds like he wants to leave and I can't blame him.  he provides the instant offense we've been looking for (even though he doesn't really pass the ball much). 

I'm sure a better coach could use him better than Doc does.

A better coach?

The issue is that there aren't the minutes to go around.  Doc is doing nothing wrong.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The more I think about this the more I think Danny may have made a calculated move in bring in Barbosa. Last year he was inconsistent but averaged 9pts a game of Indy and 12 for Toronto, definitely more production than his current minutes dictate.

This is what I think Danny has up his sleeve.

knowing that AB is hurt and likely out till about mid season and that Ray was gone. He signs Terry to take Rays role. Then signs Lee as a part time AB fill in. Hoping that Lee gains value as a starter he convinces Barbosa to sign with a promise that Lee will moved at the trade deadline since Avery will be back and Lee will be expendable. The logic here is that Barbosa is always the 4th guard in a rotation that includes a 35year old Terry.

I think the teams rough start and Avery coming back a little sooner than expected threw this plans off a bit (and caused the Cs to almost loose Barbosa).
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 12:37:29 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
watching Terry the last number of games, and especially when the second unit stalls offensively (in both senses) like last night against NO, I would much rather have Barbosa than Jet out there with CLee, Green, Sully, and KG....ability to drive, shoots the three, can play off the ball etc....DOC, YOU LISTENING?

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The more I think about this the more I think Danny may have made a calculated move in bring in Barbosa. Last year he was inconsistent but averaged 9pts a game of Indy and 12 for Toronto, definitely more production than his current minutes dictate.

This is what I think Danny has up his sleeve.

knowing that AB is hurt and likely out till about mid season and that Ray was gone. He signs Terry to take Rays role. Then signs Lee as a part time AB fill in. Hoping that Lee gains value as a starter he convinces Barbosa to sign with a promise that Lee will moved at the trade deadline since Avery will be back and Lee will be expendable. The logic here is that Barbosa is always the 4th guard in a rotation that includes a 35year old Terry.

I think the teams rough start and Avery coming back a little sooner than expected threw this plans off a bit (and caused the Cs to almost loose Barbosa).

I really think there is zero chance Danny makes promises like that.  Danny knows that promises MUST be kept, or lose the trust of agents.  And he also knows that trades are not easy to make in the NBA. 

Personally, I think he signed Barbosa as depth.  It allowed them the ability to stay afloat while Bradley was out, and it gives them some flexibility to offer different players in trades.

But I don't think anything is pre-arranged here. 

As for the comments by Barbosa, I think they are the typical comments of a frustrated player riding the bench, who might open up a little too much when talking to reporters from his home country.  It happens all the time (much more often in Baseball).