Author Topic: Smith in trade conversations; Dallas, Memphis, and Houston on list?  (Read 9164 times)

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Some jumbled speculation rumors on CBSSports this morning. The headline on hoopshype says Smith is in trade conversations, the article on CBS sports says no talks have been made with the teams that are on his so called interest list...

With that being said. Doesn't this trade make incredible sense for both teams?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=93pdwsv

Smith goes to Memphis, replaces Rudy, fits better with their defensive scheme, and also has a one year contract. If he works out great, if not, Memphis saves the money they were looking to save.

Hawks get Rudy who steps up as their franchise player.

Might be too big of a contract for the Hawks?

Figured I would share a trade involving Smith or Gay without having the Celtics involved. Although I could easily work out a scenario where we get Smith. I want Smith!
Discuss...

Re: Smith in trade conversations; Dallas, Memphis, and Houston on list?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:29:25 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I think it's a really bad trade for both teams -

Josh Smith would be an abysmal fit offensively for Memphis. He'd absolutely murder the team's spacing. I think the reason Memphis is looking at a guy like Jared Dudley is because they really don't need that much out of a 3 in their system. They need a guy who can move the ball, hit an open 3 and play good defense. While Smith can certainly  play defense and his overall game is better, a simple role player like Jared Dudley is a much better fit for Memphis.

On the opposite side - Atlanta literally just got rid of Joe Johnson for nothing. Ferry's taking a long term approach to rebuilding this team. He's not going to commit 16 million to a player who isn't a gamebreaker. I love Rudy Gay's game, but he isn't going to improve that Atlanta team anywhere near enough for them to consider.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:32:24 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Some jumbled speculation rumors on CBSSports this morning. The headline on hoopshype says Smith is in trade conversations, the article on CBS sports says no talks have been made with the teams that are on his so called interest list...

With that being said. Doesn't this trade make incredible sense for both teams?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=93pdwsv

Smith goes to Memphis, replaces Rudy, fits better with their defensive scheme, and also has a one year contract. If he works out great, if not, Memphis saves the money they were looking to save.

Hawks get Rudy who steps up as their franchise player.

Might be too big of a contract for the Hawks?

Figured I would share a trade involving Smith or Gay without having the Celtics involved. Although I could easily work out a scenario where we get Smith. I want Smith!
Discuss...

I could see that lousy Cuban and Dallas getting Smith, he always gets Guys on one year deals somehow. Kaman, Mayo etc. ( Mayo Will optout next year).

Marion, Kaman for Smith, or that overrated rudy bobois .

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:33:27 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Houston, on the other hand could be a very interesting fit.

The spacing with Asik and Smith is somewhat concerning - particularly with two guards who prefer to drive - but I like the idea of Smith being added to a team who likes to run, and he'd be a great defensive front court partner with Asik.

I think Houston's primary target is, and should be, Paul Milisap. But Josh Smith wouldn't be a terrible consolation prize.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The spacing with Asik and Smith is somewhat concerning - particularly with two guards who prefer to drive - but I like the idea of Smith being added to a team who likes to run, and he'd be a great defensive front court partner with Asik.

I think Houston's primary target is, and should be, Paul Milisap. But Josh Smith wouldn't be a terrible consolation prize.
I agree -- Houston would seem to be a better trading partner.  plenty of young players to ship to Atlanta that could help them build for the future.  Houston with Harden, Asik, Lin and Smith as the core would make some noise in the west.  if they could hold on to Parsons too, that's a dangerous team for anyone out there to face.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:41:18 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Not sure how Josh Smith would work on that team.  At SF?  That'd kill floor spacing for this bigs.

Team would be HUGE though, and great defensively, I suppose.

Not sure about that idea.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:42:09 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

I agree -- Houston would seem to be a better trading partner.  plenty of young players to ship to Atlanta that could help them build for the future.  Houston with Harden, Asik, Lin and Smith as the core would make some noise in the west.  if they could hold on to Parsons too, that's a dangerous team for anyone out there to face.

Yeah you make a very good point. Houston could have a pretty nasty lineup if they were able to nab Smith. And they have a lot of young blood saved up for their attempt at Howard. Lin, Harden, Parsons, Smith, Asik makes for one heck of a starting lineup.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 08:43:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I think they actually would be decent trading partners depending on how much Houston likes Smith and what they would be willing to give up.  I mean given their cap room they could move Patterson, Parsons, Jones and Aldrich for Smith.  Does Atlanta like those players?  Does Houston value Smith that much?  But there would be a lot of options.

Gay would also seem like a fit in Houston and would also be a good trading partner for Memphis given the mass of young players they could send back and the salary savings they could give Memphis.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 08:44:21 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

I don't think they would have to give up that much -

They know Josh Smith is going to free agency this summer and they know Atlanta won't resign him. If this goes to the summer they're probably in a two man race for him with Dallas.

And I don't see that many great fits for Smith right now. So I think Houston has leverage. I say Patterson and a first is plenty to get it done if Houston wants to.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:53:59 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
For giggles I went against my words as to involving the Celtics in such a trade and did so anyway.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bdmngq4

Celts get Smith

Memphis gets Green for their small forward at a cheaper rate than Gay. Fits into their system well. Trades Arthur but gain Bass as a replacement. Net Melo for a future project and get Zaza as not only an expriring but a legit center off their bench for a playoff run. They are lacking at the Center position off the bench.

Hawks get Gay and a young big man in Arthur. Still doesnt take away from the fact that Gay has a huge contract and Ferry probably wouldn't go for it.

Memphis

Conley/Bayless
Allen/Ellington
Green/Pondexter
Randolph/Bass
Gasol/ZaZa/Speights

Hawks

Teague/Harris
Korver/Williams
Gay/Stevenson
Arthur//Johnson
Horford/Tolliver

Rondo/Terry
Bradley/Lee
Pierce/(Lee/Smith combo)
Smith/Sully
KG/Wilcox/Collins

Meh. I dunno.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

They know Josh Smith is going to free agency this summer and they know Atlanta won't resign him. If this goes to the summer they're probably in a two man race for him with Dallas.

And I don't see that many great fits for Smith right now. So I think Houston has leverage. I say Patterson and a first is plenty to get it done if Houston wants to.

Houston has certainly set themselves up nicely to acquire another big name player. I wonder if those backloaded Lin and Asik deals will come to haunt them however.

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 08:59:24 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Houston has certainly set themselves up nicely to acquire another big name player. I wonder if those backloaded Lin and Asik deals will come to haunt them however.

Personally, I think it helps them if Houston ownership is willing to spend. They represent two max expirings.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The Jeremy Lin + Omer Asik contracts aren't backloaded.

They would have been if New York and Chicago matched their offer sheet but neither did.

Both contracts are proportional over three year duration. A little under $8.5 million each.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I have absolutely no idea whether Josh Smith is a SF or PF.

I always thought more of a PF, but then saw he's listed as SF on trade machine.  And I thought: "Well, yeah that makes sense, because he's a bit small to match up against the bigger PFs of the league"  Then I thought:  "Well, but he can't really shoot that well for a SF and I think a SF needs to be able to shoot"

So what is he?  The idea of "bigger PFs" is kind of disappearing around the league.  Former all-star PFs with height like Bosh, KG, Duncan, Brand, and Jermaine Oneal have all become centers over the past couple years.  Pau, Dirk, Aldridge, and Randolph are the only 4 PFs left in the league who use their height/size to trouble smaller defenders.  Amare could but I'm not sure if he's really a PF and he doesn't really trouble anyone anymore anyways.

I'm gonna say Smith is a PF in today's NBA.  Thoughts?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 09:37:22 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Houston can present a very attractive package.  They have all those young guys on rookie deals.  If Ferry really wants to rebuild, the Rockets are a good partner.

Memphis has the best piece.  Rudy Gay is very talented, but overpaid.  I don't think Atlanta will want to trade with the Grizzlies.

Dallas is more likely a free agent destination.  Maybe a sign-and-trade deal.  The Mavericks don't have anything the Hawks would want.