Poll

Who's the better center?

Fab Melo
28 (75.7%)
Jason Collins
9 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: January 05, 2013, 12:12:23 PM

Author Topic: Fab Melo or Jason Collins  (Read 5839 times)

Re: Fab Melo or Jason Collins
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 07:26:31 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Here's WEEI's article on Fab Melo: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/12/27/fab-melo-and-the-debate-over-d-league-dominance/

Thabeet apparently is what could happen if you rush your prospects and kill their confidence.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 07:33:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is a moot issue as one of them is in the NBA DL.   So the Celtics are trying to develop Melo and he is a work in progress who has had bad games and good games but has hardly been dominant in the NBA DL.

He is second in the league in blocks at 3.6 BPG.  He is 48 in RPG.  He doesn't even register top 60 in scoring and is 37th in FG%.

The only thing consistent about him is in inconsistentcy.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/fab_melo/game_by_game_stats.html

He is not NBA ready if he was he would be here.   Celtics want him to develop, he has a lot of potential.  But he needs strength and to improve his hands.   He has flashed some signs of doing very well and has a better ceiling than Collins.

I would rather have a serviceble vet in the playoffs though as Melo will get you maybe a block or two and some fouls.   He doesn't have the respect to over come a star call being a NBA DL player.

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 07:34:09 AM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I think Fab is Far better than Thabeet. Thabeet isn't much of a smart player. Fab has smarts & looks better & better every game. He's looking even quicker & more athletic now.

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 08:21:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think Fab is Far better than Thabeet. Thabeet isn't much of a smart player. Fab has smarts & looks better & better every game. He's looking even quicker & more athletic now.
no need to rush him.  I wasn't happy with the pick during the draft but I've come around to thinking he could be a decent backup center AFTER NEXT SEASON.  give him 2 years in D league to learn how to rebound, defend without fouling and how to score around the basket with confidence.  once he can do that against that level of competition, he should be able to be a backup center in the NBA. 
If he turns out to be a more mobile Perk with better hands, I'd be thrilled but I wouldn't expect anything from hiim until his 3rd year after he was drafted.