Author Topic: Manti Te'o's deceased girlfriend is a hoax? (Merged)  (Read 32228 times)

Re: Manti Te'o's deceased girlfriend is a hoax? (Merged)
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2013, 01:07:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
The author of Deadspin's article said on CBS radio that they received an e-mail a week ago stating something fishy was going on and they should look into it.

Interesting. Seems like a lot more than a week of research.
I easily could have misheard it, I just got back from work and was listening on my phone but that's what I heard.

The initial deadspin story says a woman notified them 'sometime in december'.

Te'o and Tuiasosopo definitely know each other. In May 2012, Te'o was retweeting Tuiasosopo, who had mentioned going to Hawaii. Wrote Te'o, "sole"—"bro," in Samoan—"u gotta come down." In June, Te'o wished Tuiasosopo a happy birthday. How they know each other isn't clear. We spoke to a woman we'll call Frieda, who had suggested on Twitter back in December that there was something fishy about Lennay Kekua. She was Facebook friends with Titus Tuiasosopo, so we asked her if she knew anything about Ronaiah.
That statement doesn't say they were notified in December, rather that in December she suggested on twitter that something was up. They don't clarify if it was just a tweet she put out there, or something that she sent to Deadspin via tweet or DM.

But yeah clearly sometime in December things were unraveling, which makes Teo's confession on the 26th make sense if they got wind of things coming apart.
I think it pretty clearly indicates that in December she said something on Twitter not that Deadspin spoke to her.  Deadspin didn't know about this until after the new year and by then notre dame was conducting a full on investigation so it is quite possible that the ND investigation led to the deadspin story.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2013, 01:10:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Personally, I find it very believable that a college football player, who comes from a conservative, Mormon family, was duped by an acquaintence playing an (elaborate) practical joke on him. 

I could see Te'o really believing that his girlfriend was real...but lying about the fact that he had met her.  It could have been to him an online romance, that was cut short of him getting to consumate it by meeting her, when she tragically died. 

And he made up the story of how they met and become friends, and how he sees her when they are both in Hawaii, and all that, to hide the embarrasing fact that he not only met her online, but had not actually met her in person.  Particularly with his Mormon upbringing, since they would have likely not been thrilled about him having an online romance.

There are a lot of gullible people out there, and when you are talking about 22 year old college football players (or however old he is), then the percentage of gullibility probably rises a decent amount.

This is entirely possible.

For a football player, having an online "relationship" could be rather immasulating.  The conservation Mormon upbringing could be a factor as well.

Generally, I am the type that likes to believe the best in people.  Lately, I've become a little cynical with public figures.  It seems it always end up being a case of the worst being true.

I won't be surprised if Te'o is guilty of being an absolute liar of the worst degree.  His parents involvement in the "story" seems really fishy.

Just a completely insane story either way.

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2013, 01:28:27 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
completely off-topic, but equally as crazy...

Just heard Tiger Woods offered his ex-wife a "contract" to be his wife again.  Will pay her 350mil if he cheats.

What is going on?!

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Personally, I find it very believable that a college football player, who comes from a conservative, Mormon family, was duped by an acquaintence playing an (elaborate) practical joke on him. 

I could see Te'o really believing that his girlfriend was real...but lying about the fact that he had met her.  It could have been to him an online romance, that was cut short of him getting to consumate it by meeting her, when she tragically died. 

And he made up the story of how they met and become friends, and how he sees her when they are both in Hawaii, and all that, to hide the embarrasing fact that he not only met her online, but had not actually met her in person.  Particularly with his Mormon upbringing, since they would have likely not been thrilled about him having an online romance.

There are a lot of gullible people out there, and when you are talking about 22 year old college football players (or however old he is), then the percentage of gullibility probably rises a decent amount.

But again, and I'll come off as a jock and a pig here I'm sure, but he's a middle linebacker for the University fo Notre Dame. He's a Heisman Candidate. He's playing in the national championship game.

If he's going to be duped, it'll be by one of the thousands of beautiful women in the South Bend area who are throwing themselves at him. Not some "girl" who said 'hi' to him on twitter.

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2013, 01:32:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

But again, and I'll come off as a jock and a pig here I'm sure, but he's a middle linebacker for the University fo Notre Dame. He's a Heisman Candidate. He's playing in the national championship game.

If he's going to be duped, it'll be by one of the thousands of beautiful women in the South Bend area who are throwing themselves at him. Not some "girl" who said 'hi' to him on twitter.

Not necessarily.  There are plenty of guys who wouldn't feel that comfortable with meeting girls that way.  Everyone is different. 

And hey, it worked on Gabe Pruitt...

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/permalink/victorias_secret_basketball_prank/

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 01:36:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

Apparently, you've never stepped foot in South Bend, IN.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Not necessarily.  There are plenty of guys who wouldn't feel that comfortable with meeting girls that way.  Everyone is different. 

And hey, it worked on Gabe Pruitt...

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/permalink/victorias_secret_basketball_prank/

You know, I can't believe I've never heard that story about Pruitt.  Don't know how I missed that.

The tidbit at the end about the 15 y.o. boys luring a 48 y.o. man into thinking he was meeting a 15 y.o. girl is messed up.  Guy is obviously dangerous, but legally, isn't that classic "baiting"?  Shouldn't the kids be the ones in trouble technically?

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2013, 01:42:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Apparently, you've never stepped foot in South Bend, IN.

Ouch!

But I also think its worth noting that guys who are smooth with the ladies generally don't choose to go to ND over USC (where he also was considering). 

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501

I can believe it too.  At best, this is a sad story.  Even if Te'o himself created it for 'fun', it is still sad -- from a mental health perpective.  Yes, there may be nefarious intent that some can construe in which he somehow benefits and therefore makes him a villain, but more likely (I think), this turns out to be either a mean and humiliating hoax upon him, or it turns out that he played along (created it) to hide something.  Either way, I don't need to know and hope that he isn't exposed to more humiliation based on idle speculation and unecessary moral judgments.  I realize this could also be a case of stupidity or naivety which would just serve to make me grateful that my stupidest acts have never gone viral. 

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
He might have actually been catfished, but he is going to have to answer a bunch of questions for anyone to believe it.  Just some he needs to answer: Who have you been talking to since she allegedly died?  Where did you send the flowers you sent, how did you purchase them, and do you have the receipt? Why did you say you met her and looked into her soulful eyes if you never did? When you learned of the deception in December, why didn't you get ahead of the story and release a statement at that time? How long have you known Ronaiah Tuiasosopo and when and where did you meet?

etc.

Exactly. There are simply too many examples of embelishment here for me to swallow that the kid was a victim of a hoax.

I really wasn't prepared to even consider that Notre Dame might be involved, and this might have been a ploy to hijack the Heisman news cycle, until I saw the AD's absolutely horrific press conference performance last night.

Now, I'm not so sure this isn't an elaborate publicity stunt gone awry.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2013, 03:03:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/arizona-cardinals-fullback-manti-te-os-fake-girlfriend-051106606--ncaaf.html

Im going to read this article on Yahoo! where the report say an Arizon Cardinal player "met" the GF.

It's getting more bizaare.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 03:29:19 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
The author of Deadspin's article said on CBS radio that they received an e-mail a week ago stating something fishy was going on and they should look into it.

Interesting. Seems like a lot more than a week of research.
I easily could have misheard it, I just got back from work and was listening on my phone but that's what I heard.

The initial deadspin story says a woman notified them 'sometime in december'.

Te'o and Tuiasosopo definitely know each other. In May 2012, Te'o was retweeting Tuiasosopo, who had mentioned going to Hawaii. Wrote Te'o, "sole"—"bro," in Samoan—"u gotta come down." In June, Te'o wished Tuiasosopo a happy birthday. How they know each other isn't clear. We spoke to a woman we'll call Frieda, who had suggested on Twitter back in December that there was something fishy about Lennay Kekua. She was Facebook friends with Titus Tuiasosopo, so we asked her if she knew anything about Ronaiah.
That statement doesn't say they were notified in December, rather that in December she suggested on twitter that something was up. They don't clarify if it was just a tweet she put out there, or something that she sent to Deadspin via tweet or DM.

But yeah clearly sometime in December things were unraveling, which makes Teo's confession on the 26th make sense if they got wind of things coming apart.
I think it pretty clearly indicates that in December she said something on Twitter not that Deadspin spoke to her.  Deadspin didn't know about this until after the new year and by then notre dame was conducting a full on investigation so it is quite possible that the ND investigation led to the deadspin story.

I also heard him on Toucher and Rich this morning. He pretty clearly said that they got the tip last Friday and were comfortable enough with the information they had found in only a few days to run it.

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2013, 03:45:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Also, On Dec. 8, two days after Te'o supposedly found out his girlfriend was not dead, he told media at the Heisman Trophy presentation: "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer."

Well if that is true, then he clearly wasn't duped.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16