Author Topic: Chad Ford on C's  (Read 16318 times)

Chad Ford on C's
« on: January 16, 2013, 03:07:36 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Not much here, but I figure I'd pass it along.

@bostonsportz (boston)

Are you hearing any moves the Celtics might make?
Chad Ford  (1:21 PM)

Danny Ainge did his annual radio interview where he appears flabbergasted at all the trade talk and says it's unlikely they'll do a deal. Of course, we know from past years, that Ainge isn't exactly forthcoming in such interviews. Multiple teams tell me they've talked to the Celtics and they believe everything is on the table -- as it should be. If Ainge can make the team stronger for a run at the Finals he will. If he can't, but he can just start the rebuilding process in a big way -- why wouldn't he. The team he has now probably isn't a serious Finals contender. I think it's likely it moves one way or the other. So when I wrote a few weeks back that he could or could not move Rondo, I wasn't trying to have it both ways. I meant that both options are on the table and he's looking for the best deal for his team. If there's a great Rondo trade for the Celtics, he'll do it. If there isn't, he's not in firesale mode, he's not moving players like Rondo or Paul Pierce for the sake of shaking up the team.

Re: Chad Ford on C's
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Danny has always kicked every tire, no news here at all.

Just that Danny is active and then Chad Ford's opinion on things.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Is there a link? Just wondering if there was more questions he answered like this, etc.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
And the sky is blue!

Seriously though, this is at least slightly interesting, just because it confirms the smoke we have already been seeing, coming from a very plugged in source.  Chad Ford has his weaknesses, and has a major Euro fetish, but he also is one of the more connected "insiders" not named Wojo.  So, if he is hearing that the C's are making everyone available, I believe it.

Of course, it doesn't mean they have reasonable estimations of their players values...but it definitely sounds like they are not sitting pat. 

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This is the case every year,

I think Danny does a good job gauging the interest around the league for all the Celtics assets. This is one of the reason I believe their are always so many celtics rumors. I honestly can picture Danny telling any GM he talk to to make him an offer on anyone, he can always just say no.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 03:31:46 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Pretty much.

Also Chad Ford typically down on the Celtics, as he usually seems to be.  Giving us no chance to contend.  He is letting his opinion on that color the possibilities of what he things Ainge will do.

Again, no doubt Ainge has called about everyone.  But that doesn't mean he really has considered that much.  I believe Ainge knows this year could be very similar to last year and our team could very well be better equipped to beat Miami.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Yep.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
So Danny makes 29 phone calls every January and says "Hey GM "X" if you're dealing over the next month give me a call and maybe I can facilitate something"
GM "X" says "Who's available on your roster?"
Danny "All of 'em, just call me"

Chad needs something to report mid-January..
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 03:41:01 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Pretty much.

Also Chad Ford typically down on the Celtics, as he usually seems to be.  Giving us no chance to contend.  He is letting his opinion on that color the possibilities of what he things Ainge will do.

Again, no doubt Ainge has called about everyone.  But that doesn't mean he really has considered that much.  I believe Ainge knows this year could be very similar to last year and our team could very well be better equipped to beat Miami.

Chad Ford is pretty consistently misrepresented on this board. The fact is, he's one of the few 'insiders' who actually talks to real sources.

More importantly, it's very hard to blame him or any other objective observer for looking at the Cs and seeing a less-than-championship caliber team. If you were a Bobcats fan or a Blazers fan or a Kings fan, would you bet on Miami or Boston? OKC or Boston? LAC or Boston?

I think Ford's point is clear, and has some value. That is, more than simple tire kicking. Ainge gets that the time is now to either go one way or the other. So he's listening to all of it. If he can't improve their 'win now' chances -- something he likely feels they need to do to have a serious shot -- then he's going to consider, at the very least, more wholesale adjustments.

What Ford doesn't say, but I believe strongly is the case for the Cs and therefore a major factor, is that Pierce is not going to kept on his current contract this summer under almost any circumstances (other than a banner). He'll be offered a much lower 2 year deal -- say, $7-9mil a year. And who knows if he'll take it.

That likely increases the chances of a more lateral team-changing trade a little bit...

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Pretty much.

Chad Ford is pretty consistently misrepresented on this board. The fact is, he's one of the few 'insiders' who actually talks to real sources.

More importantly, it's very hard to blame him or any other objective observer for looking at the Cs and seeing a less-than-championship caliber team. If you were a Bobcats fan or a Blazers fan or a Kings fan, would you bet on Miami or Boston? OKC or Boston? LAC or Boston?

I think Ford's point is clear, and has some value. That is, more than simple tire kicking. Ainge gets that the time is now to either go one way or the other. So he's listening to all of it. If he can't improve their 'win now' chances -- something he likely feels they need to do to have a serious shot -- then he's going to consider, at the very least, more wholesale adjustments.

What Ford doesn't say, but I believe strongly is the case for the Cs and therefore a major factor, is that Pierce is not going to kept on his current contract this summer under almost any circumstances (other than a banner). He'll be offered a much lower 2 year deal -- say, $7-9mil a year. And who knows if he'll take it.

That likely increases the chances of a more lateral team-changing trade a little bit...

I don't excuse it that much.

This is the same exact thing that happened last year.  Our defense has been great and we have played legitimate teams. And experts count us out every year for the last 3-4 years.

As for his sources, again, I don't doubt Ainge has called about everyone.  I do doubt he wants to pay the prices that are being asked and I do believe he also knows this team seems prepped to be an exact repeat of last year, perhaps with an even better chance of beating Miami.

My issue is it's just the press acts like we weren't the closest team to beating Miami last year.  I know I'm a Celtics fan so yeah, but I still don't get it.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'd be very disappointed in Danny if what Chad Ford reported here were not true.  That is the exact position he should be in.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 04:00:32 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I've pretty much given up on trying to guess what Ainge does. I didn't see the Perk trade coming at all, and I thought there was gonna be a big shake up last year.

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'd be very disappointed in Danny if what Chad Ford reported here were not true.  That is the exact position he should be in.

I don't know, if Rondo and/or Pierce are traded there will be some really disappointed people regardless of the return.

The key seems to be acquiring a legitimate big. If we get one, then it'll be really hard to trade away one of our Big 3.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Pretty much.

I don't excuse it that much.

This is the same exact thing that happened last year.  Our defense has been great and we have played legitimate teams. And experts count us out every year for the last 3-4 years.

As for his sources, again, I don't doubt Ainge has called about everyone.  I do doubt he wants to pay the prices that are being asked and I do believe he also knows this team seems prepped to be an exact repeat of last year, perhaps with an even better chance of beating Miami.

My issue is it's just the press acts like we weren't the closest team to beating Miami last year.  I know I'm a Celtics fan so yeah, but I still don't get it.

Sure, I just can't blame them for doubting. They're not fans. The Cs haven't won any championships in those years. Teams like the ones I mentioned have improved, not come back to the field.

Marc Stein has pointed out recently that the team the Heat least want to face in the East remains the Celtics. I'm sure that's true. Regardless, it doesn't surprise me that Ainge remains open bigger changes between now and the trade deadline.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 04:55:57 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
And ... I don't think anyone in the Celtics' front office is going to buy into the notion that a six-game stretch is enough to sound the all-clear.

Nor should they, because it is not.

I don't find Ford's report difficult to believe. At all.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."