Author Topic: Chad Ford on C's  (Read 16310 times)

Re: Chad Ford on C's
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 09:53:16 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
What a joke.

"I'm not trying to have it both ways, but I stick with my story; either Rondo is getting traded or he isn't." 

Lame.

Why do you have quotes around that? Not what he said...

I'm paraphrasing what he said.

You missed his point. What he's saying is that according to a number of teams the Celtics haven't ruled out trading Rondo before the deadline.

There's no news there.  I already knew that pretty much all NBA GMs are in constant conversations with their colleagues about any and all players. 

Despite Ford's piece, I'd be completely shocked if Rajon Rondo is moved this season. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 09:57:32 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
What a joke.

"I'm not trying to have it both ways, but I stick with my story; either Rondo is getting traded or he isn't." 

Lame.

You missed his point. What he's saying is that according to a number of teams the Celtics haven't ruled out trading Rondo before the deadline.

I think you somewhat missed the poster's point. Even if Ainge isn't shopping a player, that player will be available in a trade if the inquiring team offers enough.

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
What a joke.

Lame.

There's no news there.  I already knew that pretty much all NBA GMs are in constant conversations with their colleagues about any and all players. 

Despite Ford's piece, I'd be completely shocked if Rajon Rondo is moved this season.

Incorrect on the first point. There are a number of players in the league who are certainly not in trade discussions. It seems unnecessary to make a comprehensive list, but: James. Durant. Anthony Davis. All the way down to a guy like Harden, who presumably Morey is not even bothering to talk about. So let's say 1/3 to 1/2 half the teams in the league have a player they don't entertain discussion on in any ongoing way.

Many Cs fans choose to call Rondo the best PG in the league, a Top 10 player, etc. While it may not be 'news', I'd say it's insightful to know that Ainge still doesn't feel that way about Rondo. Therefore, doubtful he ever will. It confirms what I and some others around here believe -- that Ainge is eager to trade Rondo in his prime for a more traditional 'franchise player'. I think his interview with Dickerson last night also made this pretty clear.

I agree with you on the second point, though I think 'completely shocked' is putting it strongly. I don't see him being moved either.

Regardless, I have a hard time understanding why it's lame for Ford to report that opposing teams have told him the Cs remain open to dealing anyone including Rondo.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:30:07 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 10:40:36 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
What a joke.

Lame.

Incorrect on the first point. There are a number of players in the league who are certainly not in trade discussions. It seems unnecessary to make a comprehensive list, but: James. Durant. Anthony Davis. All the way down to a guy like Harden, who presumably Morey is not even bothering to talk about. So let's say 1/3 to 1/2 half the teams in the league have a player they don't entertain discussion on in any ongoing way.

Many Cs fans choose to call Rondo the best PG in the league, a Top 10 player, etc. While it may not be 'news', I'd say it's insightful to know that Ainge still doesn't feel that way about Rondo. Therefore, doubtful he ever will. It confirms what I and some others around here believe -- that Ainge is eager to trade Rondo in his prime for a more traditional 'franchise player'. I think his interview with Dickerson last night also made this pretty clear.

Your point is fairly incorrect as well. Danny isn't actively shopping Rondo around the league and he isn't saying that he's untouchable. That doesn't confirm what you and some others believe, it just doesn't rule it out as a possibility.

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
What a joke.

Lame.

Your point is fairly incorrect as well. Danny isn't actively shopping Rondo around the league and he isn't saying that he's untouchable. That doesn't confirm what you and some others believe, it just doesn't rule it out as a possibility.

Semantics. You, me, and everyone else here have no idea how aggressively Ainge is shopping any player. And the only confirmation of such a belief about Rondo would come from Ainge announcing his intentions to trade the guy (not likely?) or Rondo actually being traded, at which point discussions Ainge's perceived desire to trade him would obviously be moot. 

Regardless, I continue to think all the boo'ing of Ford is pretty useless -- he has far more insight into what's happening behind Ainge & McDonaugh's door than Celtics18 or BBallTim or ssspence...

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 11:05:17 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
What a joke.

Lame.

I agree with you on the second point, though I think 'completely shocked' is putting it strongly. I don't see him being moved either.

Regardless, I have a hard time understanding why it's lame for Ford to report that opposing teams have told him the Cs remain open to dealing anyone including Rondo.

If you are going to make the claim that there are at least 10 to 15 players that are "untouchable", then I do think it's necessary to make a comprehensive list. 

I'd like to know which players you consider to be on that list.  I tend to doubt that James Harden is on it.  You might be right about the other three. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 11:21:48 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
What a joke.

Lame.

If you are going to make the claim that there are at least 10 to 15 players that are "untouchable", then I do think it's necessary to make a comprehensive list. 

I'd like to know which players you consider to be on that list.  I tend to doubt that James Harden is on it.  You might be right about the other three.

Why would the Rockets trade for Harden, giving a max contract, have him explode as one of the league's top scorers, then float trading him? NBA GMs have to be masters of leverage across every player on their roster to be good at their job -- does that sound like a strong tactic to you?

I didn't say untouchable. Other than James and Durant, every player in the league is worse than someone else. Would the Cavs hang up the phone if OKC called up and offering them Durant for Irving? No. Is OKC calling up CLE or anyone else proposing such a trade? No. Is CLE talking about trading Irving with other teams? No.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 11:22:26 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
What a joke.

Lame.

I think you are completely incorrect on your first point, which I have highlighted.  Does anyone think that Dan Gilbert, if he could go back in time, would not have traded Lebron in his last year in Cleveland, when he was an MVP and the best player in the league?

Every player is available so long as there is a willing buyer on the other end that is offering similar value (or more).  You say Durant and Lebron are unavailable, but what if Presti called up Riley tomorrow and offered Durant FOR Lebron?  Would Riley say "no way, untouchable?"  I don't think so. 

That of course does not mean the trade would happen - circumstances would have to dictate a trade like that happening, and those circumstances are arguably very, very rare.  But of all the major sports leagues in our country, the NBA is the most suited for superstar-for-superstar trades given the need to match salaries.

So with respect to Danny and the C's: no player is untouchable (maybe save for Garnett with the no-trade clause).  That doesn't mean he is actively trying to trade those guys, but it also doesn't mean he will be gun shy if the right deal comes along.

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
What a joke.

Lame.

I think you are completely incorrect on your first point, which I have highlighted.  Does anyone think that Dan Gilbert, if he could go back in time, would not have traded Lebron in his last year in Cleveland, when he was an MVP and the best player in the league?

Every player is available so long as there is a willing buyer on the other end that is offering similar value (or more).  You say Durant and Lebron are unavailable, but what if Presti called up Riley tomorrow and offered Durant FOR Lebron?  Would Riley say "no way, untouchable?"  I don't think so. 

That of course does not mean the trade would happen - circumstances would have to dictate a trade like that happening, and those circumstances are arguably very, very rare.  But of all the major sports leagues in our country, the NBA is the most suited for superstar-for-superstar trades given the need to match salaries.

So with respect to Danny and the C's: no player is untouchable (maybe save for Garnett with the no-trade clause).  That doesn't mean he is actively trying to trade those guys, but it also doesn't mean he will be gun shy if the right deal comes along.

two absolutely ridiculous hypotheticals -- one of which involves a time machine, the other your fantasy league dream. arguing for the sake of arguing. 

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
What a joke.

Lame.

I believe these players would only get moved if a trade involving one of these other players was on the table (and then not in all instances) or if they specifically ask to be traded

Lebron James
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Chris Paul
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Garnett
Anthony Davis
Kyrie Irving
James Harden
Derrick Rose

These guys are only getting moved (unless asked to be moved) with a total blown away offer (which is almost never going to happen because the value given up would be too much - unless it involves another such player)
Dirk Nowtizki
Blake Griffin
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
Dwyane Wade
Deron Williams
Russ Westbrook
Stephen Curry
Ricky Rubio

These types of players aren't out in the market, but could likely be acquired if you blew the team away
Paul Pierce
Al Horford
Lamarcus Aldridge
Kevin Love
Marc Gasol

That doesn't account for players like Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, Demarcus Cousins, etc. which are expiring contracts but which their current team would probably like to keep long term so a trade would require a lot
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 11:35:30 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
What a joke.

Lame.

Semantics. You, me, and everyone else here have no idea how aggressively Ainge is shopping any player. And the only confirmation of such a belief about Rondo would come from Ainge announcing his intentions to trade the guy (not likely?) or Rondo actually being traded, at which point discussions Ainge's perceived desire to trade him would obviously be moot. 

You say semantics but then go on to agree with me that Ainge's stance doesn't at all confirm your claim that Danny is eagerly trying to trade Rondo for a "more traditional" franchise player.

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
What a joke.

Lame.

two absolutely ridiculous hypotheticals -- one of which involves a time machine, the other your fantasy league dream. arguing for the sake of arguing.

No it is not - you are clearly stating that there are a set of players in this league that are never a part of trade talks.  I am telling you that there are times when trading even the best player in the league makes sense (like Gilbert wishes he did in Cleveland).  I am also saying that any player is available if the return is equal or greater, and a perfect example of that would be Durant for James. 

I am sure there was a point when Carmelo Anthony was not in trade discussions, but then his final contract year came and he made it clear he would sign elsewhere.  Guess what?  He got traded.  Same for Dwight Howard.

If Lebron indicates he doesn't want to sign long term with Miami, I bet Riley trades him too.

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
What a joke.

Lame.

You say semantics but then go on to agree with me that Ainge's stance doesn't at all confirm your claim that Danny is eagerly trying to trade Rondo for a "more traditional" franchise player.

Right. Confirmation would be pretty tough to come by, as I point out. So semantics -- maybe I should have used a different term than 'confirm', like 'suggests' or 'implies' or 'leaves the door open'. So why don't I do that for you so this might return to a discussion about Chad Ford's post:

While it may not be 'news', I'd say it's insightful to know that Ainge still doesn't feel that way about Rondo. Therefore, doubtful he ever will. It implies what I and some others around here believe -- that Ainge is eager to trade Rondo in his prime for a more traditional 'franchise player'. I think his interview with Dickerson last night also made this pretty clear.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:49:34 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
What a joke.

Lame.

No it is not - you are clearly stating that there are a set of players in this league that are never a part of trade talks.  I am telling you that there are times when trading even the best player in the league makes sense (like Gilbert wishes he did in Cleveland).  I am also saying that any player is available if the return is equal or greater, and a perfect example of that would be Durant for James. 

I am sure there was a point when Carmelo Anthony was not in trade discussions, but then his final contract year came and he made it clear he would sign elsewhere.  Guess what?  He got traded.  Same for Dwight Howard.

If Lebron indicates he doesn't want to sign long term with Miami, I bet Riley trades him too.

Sorry, boss. You can say that I clearly state that there are a group of players that are never ever discussed in trades throughout their entire career, but that won't mean that's what I actually said.

I'm going to finish up here. TP for everyone in the gang.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 12:25:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
What a joke.

Lame.

Right. Confirmation would be pretty tough to come by, as I point out. So semantics -- maybe I should have used a different term than 'confirm', like 'suggests' or 'implies' or 'leaves the door open'. So why don't I do that for you so this might return to a discussion about Chad Ford's post:

While it may not be 'news', I'd say it's insightful to know that Ainge still doesn't feel that way about Rondo. Therefore, doubtful he ever will. It implies what I and some others around here believe -- that Ainge is eager to trade Rondo in his prime for a more traditional 'franchise player'. I think his interview with Dickerson last night also made this pretty clear.

It still looks like you're making non-existent distinctions to support your claim. Houston isn't trying to trade Harden but would if the offer was good enough, therefore he's a fairly untouchable franchise player. Boston isn't trying to trade Rondo but would if another team offered enough, therefore Danny is eager to move Rondo.