Author Topic: Royce White ESPN Interview  (Read 3702 times)

Royce White ESPN Interview
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:27:10 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8847203

It's a shame that the Rockets and White can't work things out. He is very talented and actually seems very intelligent also, but the mental health thing seems like it might cost him his career .

If he could ever get it together I think he is easily as good as Sullinger , if not better .

Re: Royce White ESPN Interview
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
if it was such an issue he shouldn't of tried to join the NBA. No sympathy this way.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:07:21 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I thought he came across as intelligent.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Call me crazy, but I WANT this kid in Green!!!

He is VERY intelligent.

We do need to learn to understand mental illness.  We need to have more mental health screenings and we can and hopefully will learn to not discriminate against individuals struggling with such disorders.

I do understand the Rockets' frustrations, but this is a very unique situation for them and for the NBA.  The NBA could have done a better job with Delonte and they certainly can do better with Royce.

Smitty77

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:42:35 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

He is VERY intelligent.

We do need to learn to understand mental illness.  We need to have more mental health screenings and we can and hopefully will learn to not discriminate against individuals struggling with such disorders.

I do understand the Rockets' frustrations, but this is a very unique situation for them and for the NBA.  The NBA could have done a better job with Delonte and they certainly can do better with Royce.

Smitty77

I would definitely be willing to trade for White. Maybe fab melo for white straight up. The guy has SO MUCH skill.  To me he is a better rebounding and play making Jeff Green.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:55:34 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
The guy must really struggle with some things. I don't claim to know anything about this, but I know that people get nervous, or anxious esp in social situations...but I wouldn't think anything like that should ruin a NBA career.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:22:41 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

I thought he came across as intelligent.

At first I thought he was coming off as intelligent, but then I listened to it again and thought he sounded smooth but was really full of it.  I'm sure we've all worked with a few people who our bosses/teachers loved, always gave great answers and put on a great front, but in reality they were nothing like that.  That's how White comes off to me here.

Though I admit, I'm biased, my opinion of White has already been formed, and thus will be hard to change.  But I also admit I can be wrong about him because I only know what the media reports and what he's put out there.

The biggest part of where I thought he was full of it though:

"My virtue can't be bought"

Hmm what about your virtue when you were suspended in high school, or kicked off your high school team, or stole clothes at the mall and assaulted security guards, or stole laptops in college, or when you quit college and didn't tell your coach or the school, or when your Rockets teammates don't even know what's going on with you...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:29:29 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 11:37:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't think casting Royce White's 'virtue' is worth casting shadows on. We don't know the guy, and a young kid who makes dumb moral choices does not equal a young man who lacks virtue.

But I do think we can throw shade on his own line in the sand with the rockets. He thought walking away from the negotiations was the right one, and it was a baaad choice that will follow him for years, even if he's lucky enough to get back on track.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 02:56:19 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
If he was a Celtic, he'd only be one for home games. Or any game that's a bus ride away.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:01:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

He is VERY intelligent.

Smitty77
ok, You're Crazy.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:03:20 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

He is VERY intelligent.

Smitty77

I would definitely be willing to trade for White. Maybe fab melo for white straight up. The guy has SO MUCH skill.  To me he is a better rebounding and play making Jeff Green.

At this point Fab Melo is worth more.

I'd definitely pick him up from the free agency, for a future first or something like that *though*.

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 08:12:50 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
If he was a Celtic, he'd only be one for home games. Or any game that's a bus ride away.

Isn't that what the Raptors did with T-Mac when he first came into the League, out of high school?  I mean, I'm obviously not an experts in these matters, but it sure seems to me that an obvious compromise would be for White to be with the team at practice and in games when they're in Houston, and to gradually start going to some road games as he gets more comfortable (or on better meds) with what it means to play in the NBA.  Better to have White for 41 games than for 0; put him on the court to at least see if he's worth the bother.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 08:33:11 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Who cares if he is intelligent?  Irrelevant.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I don't think casting Royce White's 'virtue' is worth casting shadows on. We don't know the guy, and a young kid who makes dumb moral choices does not equal a young man who lacks virtue.

But I do think we can throw shade on his own line in the sand with the rockets. He thought walking away from the negotiations was the right one, and it was a baaad choice that will follow him for years, even if he's lucky enough to get back on track.

Virtue means moral excellence.  Something White has yet to really demonstrate. So several poor moral choices definitely show a lack of moral excellence/virtue.  Everybody makes dumb choices, White (although granted his life is more documented than most others) has made more than most. Or do the people you know with virtue get suspended and kicked off of teams, steal on multiple occassions, and quit on their teams without telling anybody?

But I don't want to nitpick on that (well anymore than I just did lol), cuz I'll admit I don't know him. 

I was really just saying he came off really fake in the interview, what others saw as intelligent, I saw as fake.  The virtue thing was an example (and part of it was they way he worded things as well as his demeanor, by maybe now I'm just nitpicking lol).

Prove me wrong Royce, make me eat my words.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class