Author Topic: #7 And Moving Up!  (Read 4180 times)

Re: #7 And Moving Up!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 03:32:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Still want to avoid New York, but if u are good enough, then it doesnt matter who u play.

I'm not really scared of them.

They are too three dependent.  If they aren't hitting threes they aren't winning and three point shooting dries up at some point in the playoffs.  Always does and these one dimensional teams crumble.

Dallas Mavericks of 2011

You think that was a three dependent team?

I don't.  Nowitzki was their offense and he scored all over the floor and did his worst damage against Miami going to the rim.  They had Marion as a big contributor as well.  That was a better defensive team than this Knicks team.

A three dependent team would be like the Orlando Magic of the Dwight Howard era.

Melo can score like dirk on that run. Felton provides a presence that gets points in ways other then threes. NYC is missing Felton right now. He's incredibly vital to their success.

Yeah, I agree, the team is definitely reminiscent of that Dallas team.

And similar to the Dallas team, they are going to need to get lucky with matchups, health, and just be clicking on all cylinders at the right time to win a championship.  But they definitely have a shot.
Well they have two of the four best players on the team, so yeah they're similar.

But Kidd is worse and I don't trust Melo to produce like Dirk did I guess.

Hmmm scratch that what I really don't trust is:

JR Smith in the Jason Terry type role
Their backup big men
Shumpert providing a quality wing defender glue guy (ala Marion)

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 03:34:29 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Still want to avoid New York, but if u are good enough, then it doesnt matter who u play.

They are too three dependent.  If they aren't hitting threes they aren't winning and three point shooting dries up at some point in the playoffs.  Always does and these one dimensional teams crumble.

Dallas Mavericks of 2011

You think that was a three dependent team?

I don't.  Nowitzki was their offense and he scored all over the floor and did his worst damage against Miami going to the rim.  They had Marion as a big contributor as well.  That was a better defensive team than this Knicks team.

A three dependent team would be like the Orlando Magic of the Dwight Howard era.

Melo can score like dirk on that run. Felton provides a presence that gets points in ways other then threes. NYC is missing Felton right now. He's incredibly vital to their success.

If Melo was to play as well as Dirk did in that playoff, it would be the first time he would have done so.  Maybe it could happen.  I'm a Melo fan but he's never been that consistently on.

As well, NY still has no Marion type.  A defender for the SF position and a guy who attacks the rim that way.

Not saying they are bad.  But I think that Dallas team had more wrinkles than this Knicks team does.

Well they have two of the four best players on the team, so yeah they're similar.

But Kidd is worse and I don't trust Melo to produce like Dirk did I guess.

Hmmm scratch that what I really don't trust is:

JR Smith in the Jason Terry type role
Their backup big men
Shumpert providing a quality wing defender glue guy (ala Marion)

I still don't trust Melo to produce that way consistently.

I also don't trust Smith in the playoffs.

Dallas did have more big depth.  Haywood is a pretty good backup C.

I like Shumpert but the thing is he isn't a guy to guard LeBron.  He isn't big enough.  He doesn't fill that Marion role.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Felton was playing well?

Go look at his numbers. He played essentially the same game as fat ridiculed Felton in Portland.

He's trying  harder on defense and played for a much better team that's it. He's still largely the same guy.

His numbers don't tell the tale.  He was incredibly important to the team, because he initiated the offense, and took some pressure off Melo, and also allowed Kidd to slide to SG, which helped them defensively, and just helped everyone slide in a little better.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Felton was playing well?

Go look at his numbers. He played essentially the same game as fat ridiculed Felton in Portland.

He's trying  harder on defense and played for a much better team that's it. He's still largely the same guy.
and lost a double chin or two
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Felton was playing well?

His numbers don't tell the tale.  He was incredibly important to the team, because he initiated the offense, and took some pressure off Melo, and also allowed Kidd to slide to SG, which helped them defensively, and just helped everyone slide in a little better.
Yeah he's better than their 30+ year old rookie who now plays a lot more.

But still I don't think he was driving their ability to defend solidly or hit 3s at an absolute elite level. Nor was he playing all that much better than his previous years.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 03:48:09 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

I'm actually afraid of them bc of the threes. That's the kinda team that can beat anyone if those shots go down.

I guess I see how.  Not saying they don't have games where they could just blow us out if they fall but I think our defense should be good enough.

I really just find them one dimensional.  They are a team built to win regular season games, I believe.

I agree that they are pretty one dimensional, I guess I'm just saying that's the kind of team that's not great, but still dangerous.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 03:52:40 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I'm actually afraid of them bc of the threes. That's the kinda team that can beat anyone if those shots go down.

I guess I see how.  Not saying they don't have games where they could just blow us out if they fall but I think our defense should be good enough.

I really just find them one dimensional.  They are a team built to win regular season games, I believe.

I agree that they are pretty one dimensional, I guess I'm just saying that's the kind of team that's not great, but still dangerous.

Oh for sure.  I mean our team is one that almost goes to 7 games every series and we could catch a team like New York in that game 7 and they could just have that kind of lights out shooting game and beat us.

I wouldn't bet on that though.

I just don't believe in them.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 04:38:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if the C's consistently play at this level for the rest of the year, I don't think the #2 seed is out of reach.  it'll be a close race but it's still a decent possibility.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Felton was playing well?

Yeah he's better than their 30+ year old rookie who now plays a lot more.

But still I don't think he was driving their ability to defend solidly or hit 3s at an absolute elite level. Nor was he playing all that much better than his previous years.

Let me put it this way.  He is kind of like Bradley is to the C's.  Because of the way his presence slides everyone else into the role they are best suited for, making the whole greater than the sum of the parts.