Author Topic: Avery Bradley: DPOY Candidate  (Read 6879 times)

Re: Avery Bradley: DPOY Candidate
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 01:56:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Bradley will be on one of the All-Defensive teams. Probably the 2nd team.

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
He is what he is.  An elite defender who isn't the best defensive player in the league.
And Serge Ibaka or Tyson Chandler are?! Don't know which league you're talking about, but it's certainly not the NBA in 2013.
Obviously I'm talking about the league's criteria for DPOY, otherwise Ibaka wouldn't be in the discussion.  Why do you keep refusing to understand what I'm actually saying?

And Tyson Chandler IS the best defensive big in league by ANY criteria along with KG while Dwight is struggling or injured.  Ibaka is the best shot blocker.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He is what he is.  An elite defender who isn't the best defensive player in the league.
And Serge Ibaka or Tyson Chandler are?! Don't know which league you're talking about, but it's certainly not the NBA in 2013.
Obviously I'm talking about the league's criteria for DPOY, otherwise Ibaka wouldn't be in the discussion.  Why do you keep refusing to understand what I'm actually saying?

And Tyson Chandler IS the best defensive big in league by ANY criteria along with KG while Dwight is struggling or injured.  Ibaka is the best shot blocker.
I guess I'm being obtuse. It's not on purpose.

I don't see how Tyson Chandler is the best defensive big in the league. He may have been decent in the past two years, but has completely fallen off the face of the planet this year (and is currently "anchoring" a NYK team that's quite horrible defensively). I thought he was a bad choice for DPOY, and I think he's only gotten worse since.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

I don't see how Tyson Chandler is the best defensive big in the league. He may have been decent in the past two years, but has completely fallen off the face of the planet this year (and is currently "anchoring" a NYK team that's quite horrible defensively). I thought he was a bad choice for DPOY, and I think he's only gotten worse since.
I'll agree to disagree.  You can't discount what he's working with.  Felton, Smith, Anthony, two PGs over 35, one of which is 39, Steve Novak, and now Amare.  He's anchoring the oldest team ever.
Philly:

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 03:57:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I'll agree to disagree.  You can't discount what he's working with.  Felton, Smith, Anthony, two PGs over 35, one of which is 39, Steve Novak, and now Amare.  He's anchoring the oldest team ever.
It certainly is a consideration, but the Celtics who had to start Jason Collins next to Jason Terry, Paul Pierce and Garnett in the starting lineup (who are just as old), are head and shoulders above this season. It just doesn't add up.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

It certainly is a consideration, but the Celtics who had to start Jason Collins next to Jason Terry, Paul Pierce and Garnett in the starting lineup (who are just as old), are head and shoulders above this season. It just doesn't add up.
Yeah if you ignore the fact that Pierce, Rondo, Bradley, Lee, and KG are all amazing defenders while Green, Bass, Collins, and Sully (recently) aren't negative.

The Knicks only have Brewer outside of Chandler.  And I'm not sure I understand your point.  Both teams are middle of the pack in FG% allowed and before Bradley came back the Celtics DID look extremely old defensively.
Philly:

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 07:20:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Bradley will be on one of the All-Defensive teams. Probably the 2nd team.

Pretty hard to think of somebody more valuable on the defensive end at the SG position.

I guess people could make a case for Wade, but I think that's living in the past.

Tony Allen is obviously major competition, but having watched both guys play a good amount, I'd take Bradley over TA.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He got two third-place votes last year - playing half of a short season.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/05/02/dpoy-release/index.html

Of course, so did Mike Conley.

I think he has a good shot at second team and an outside shot at first team. No shot at DPOY, which I predict will be Lebron or Ibaka.

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 08:00:46 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I think next year he will make the defensive first team, but I doubt he'll ever get DPOY...Especially when Anthony Davis finds his footing.

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 08:23:06 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
He got two third-place votes last year - playing half of a short season.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/05/02/dpoy-release/index.html

Of course, so did Mike Conley.

I think he has a good shot at second team and an outside shot at first team. No shot at DPOY, which I predict will be Lebron or Ibaka.

LeBron would be fitting.

His flexibility in addition to his overall defense is noteworthy.  if he goes on this stretch of his prime without winning DPOY at least once it would be a major oversight.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford