Author Topic: Avery Bradley: DPOY Candidate  (Read 6880 times)

Re: Avery Bradley: DPOY Candidate
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Is there any examples of previous dpoys who averaged less than a steal and less than a block?

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 12:31:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Is there any examples of previous dpoys who averaged less than a steal and less than a block?
Michael Cooper. He was there or thereabouts. A steal and a half a block when he won DPOY in the mid-80s.

Dennis Rodman ... but he had phenomenal rebounding numbers.

Tyson Chandler last year was one of the more underwhelming DPOYs in terms of rebounds, blocks and steals.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 12:34:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Was injured too much to be picked I wager.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 12:35:39 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
No way Noah is winning DPOY.  At least yet.  It has to be either Ibaka or Chandler. 
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 12:36:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
No way Noah is winning DPOY.  At least yet.  It has to be either Ibaka or Chandler.
Why not Noah? Why do you think he is undeserving compared to Ibaka to Tyson?

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A legitimate path to a DPOY (next year) for Bradley could go something like this.  Bradley makes a name for himself on a national stage by having his defense credited with being a major factor in winning either the Eastern Conference Finals or the NBA Finals by shutting down an opposing superstar guard.  The following season, the Celtics post better-than-expected defensive numbers, which are credited to Bradley playing more minutes per game for an entire season.

Rodman (twice) is the only DPOY to average less than one steal and one block per game.  Michael Cooper won it averaging exactly one steal per game.  If you make the threshold 1.5 or fewer per game in both blocks and steals, you could add Tyson Chandler, Kevin Garnett, and Sidney Moncrief (twice).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I've got no idea either.

The Knicks are giving up 108 pts per 100 pos when Chandler is on the floor this season. They actually get better defensively when he's off. The Thunder is giving up 104 pp100 with Ibaka on the floor, about the same when he's off.

The Bulls with Noah give up ~101 pp100 and a whooping 107 pp100 without him. The guy is averaging 1.3 steals and 2.1 blocks per game, and playing out of his mind. Clearly the best defensive player so far this season, and it's not even close.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
In the ballpark sure, but calling him the best defensive player in the league is proof of how overrated he is.  He had 0 first place votes last year and has never even finished in the top 10 while on the best defensive teams in the league.

I think Chandler is clearly better.  As for Ibaka, these awards are typically about statistical dominance, and if he can put together some 10 block games (3 in the same month! last year) he'll likely be right there.
Philly:

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 01:00:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
In the ballpark sure, but calling him the best defensive player in the league is proof of how overrated he is.  He had 0 first place votes last year and has never even finished in the top 10 while on the best defensive teams in the league.
He wasn't nearly as good last season. Also, I didn't realize those awards were given for track record :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 01:02:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Last year Noah's on/off wouldn't have been nearly as good because Asik was backing him up.

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
He wasn't nearly as good last season. Also, I didn't realize those awards were given for track record :)
When did I say anything close to that?

He's never been in the discussion as far as voting is concerned and didn't improve drastically enough to catapult himself to the top.  He is what he is.  An elite defender who isn't the best defensive player in the league.
Philly:

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think for him to have a chance he needs to have at least two statement games on national television similar to the game against Miami last season.  He needs to shut down Wade, Chris Paul or Kobe to under 15 or 20 points, bad shooting, and get a couple flashy steals or blocks and the games must be win for the celtics so ESPN can credit Bradley's defense.  Also, he needs to keep playing his normal level of defense against all the other opponents and the celtics need to win 70% of their remaining games.

If those 3 things fall into place, I think Bradley has a chance.  If the celtics win more than 70% of their remaining games or if he has more than two statement games then he might even become the favorite.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 01:44:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not sure how much traction he'll get with the voters considering how much time he's missed. would hope he'd get some serious consideration but I think it'll go to one of the glamour players like DH.

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Came back late, has KG on his team, and is a guard. Not gonna happen.

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
He is what he is.  An elite defender who isn't the best defensive player in the league.
And Serge Ibaka or Tyson Chandler are?! Don't know which league you're talking about, but it's certainly not the NBA in 2013.