Author Topic: Avery Bradley: DPOY Candidate  (Read 6882 times)

Avery Bradley: DPOY Candidate
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
We've all seen what Avery has done for this team so far this year.  Since he's come back, the way this team has played defense has changed drastically across the board. 

It's hard to escape the conclusion that he has single-handedly had a huge effect, either in terms of his individual performance or as a trickle-down, everybody-in-their-right-place sort of way, on the play of this team.

Having missed the first third of the season or so, I would not expect Avery to really challenge for any major awards.  But given the way that Avery plays defense and the way we have seen that he can spur an entire team to play elite, swarming, intense, constant defense with unparalleled ball pressure, is there any reason to think he might one day make a serious case for the DPOY?  Maybe not win it over some prolific shot-blocking big (e.g. Ibaka, who actually has less of an impact defensively), but get a good number of votes at least?

Keep in mind our own Rajon Rondo, with his inconsistency on defense, and former Celtic Tony Allen, have both received a significant number of DPOY votes in the past (Rondo actually came in second once, I believe).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Avery Bradley: DPOY Candidate
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 09:22:45 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If the Celtics can sustain their pace since AB got back, its a possibility.

But at least in the recent past, its been all about the big fellas, and Serge Illblockya and Dwight Howard and Joakim Noah are all still playing.

Heck, Tim Duncan and Kevin Durant are also playing excellent defense this year.

Honestly Bradley, for all the wonder we know he brings there, is a way long shot.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 09:24:38 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537

I believe Larry Sander will have something to say about that.

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:25:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's going to be hard for him to win, because as you suggested, DPOY usually goes to a big man.  Ron Artest (2004) was the last non-big to win, and the last time a guard won was in 1996 (Gary Payton).

I do think he can pick up some votes, though.  Danny called Bradley's defensive impact "KG-like", and while that's high praise, it also appears to be at least somewhat accurate in the team-wide impact.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 09:31:31 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think it's a two horse race between Joakim Noah and Tyson Chandler right now.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
AB is a little tough because KG should also be in the running on his own team.

But I would just love to see him get all-NBA defense first team.

It's going to be hard for him to win, because as you suggested, DPOY usually goes to a big man.  Ron Artest (2004) was the last non-big to win, and the last time a guard won was in 1996 (Gary Payton).

I do think he can pick up some votes, though.  Danny called Bradley's defensive impact "KG-like", and while that's high praise, it also appears to be at least somewhat accurate in the team-wide impact.

Good stats.  Crazy a guard hasn't won in that long.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:40:35 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
We've all seen what Avery has done for this team so far this year.  Since he's come back, the way this team has played defense has changed drastically across the board. 

It's hard to escape the conclusion that he has single-handedly had a huge effect, either in terms of his individual performance or as a trickle-down, everybody-in-their-right-place sort of way, on the play of this team.

The defense has been better since Avery's been back but the team's defensive improvement began in late November/early December.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Based on past voting, it would not be shocking to have him finish somewhere between 10th and 15th in DPOY voting, perhaps with one voter giving him a first-place vote.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 10:06:26 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
He would have to abuse some stars defensively in my mind too.

Do coaches vote on this? If so that could help.

I don't think he has a great chance but he passes the eye test in flying colors and we've seen dramatic team improvement whether coincidence or not.

I bet in the end advanced stats could be somewhat in his favor but he isn't a household name yet which will def hurt him.

He def could change that in the coming years tho.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 10:12:25 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
If he continues to play the way he is playing, and the C's continue to hold teams to around 90 points a game, and the C's keep winning, and he is NOT on the All-NBA Defensive 1st Team...that's when you know the voting is corrupt.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 10:23:05 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If he continues to play the way he is playing, and the C's continue to hold teams to around 90 points a game, and the C's keep winning, and he is NOT on the All-NBA Defensive 1st Team...that's when you know the voting is corrupt.

Haha. I bet rondo makes it over Bradley.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think it's a two horse race between Joakim Noah and Tyson Chandler right now.
If this award is to mean something, Noah should win by a landslide.

Zero chance that Bradley could win it this season with missing half the games due to injury. Does he stand a chance in future years? Maybe. But for a guard who doesn't rack up the steals, I wouldn't be holding my breath. And that's ok.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 11:10:10 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Between Avery Bradley and Chris Paul

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
The problem is that the voters for these awards are too concerned with flashy numbers, like blocks or steals per game. Although getting a lot of blocks or steals CAN be a good sign of good defense, it doesn't mean it always IS.

I mean, it is one thing if you get 3 blocks per game, and another if you get 3 blocks and 5 fouls per game. Look at players like Stiemsma, last year, who was good at blocking shots, but overall was not a great defensive force. Fab Melo is another example of this, though he is still raw and developing.

So the most deserving player for DPOY will probably never win as long as Ibaka is grabbing headlines with his shot-blocking, even if the rest of his defense is still pretty mediocre.

At the moment, the players who deserve it most are KG (for the first 1/3rd of this season, we were the league's best defense with him on the floor, and the league's worst with him off of it; that ALONE should, in a just world, make him automatic DPOY), Tim Duncan, and Tyson Chandler. Honorable mentions to Roy Hibbert, Tony Allen, and Avery Bradley.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The problem is that the voters for these awards are too concerned with flashy numbers, like blocks or steals per game. Although getting a lot of blocks or steals CAN be a good sign of good defense, it doesn't mean it always IS.

I mean, it is one thing if you get 3 blocks per game, and another if you get 3 blocks and 5 fouls per game. Look at players like Stiemsma, last year, who was good at blocking shots, but overall was not a great defensive force. Fab Melo is another example of this, though he is still raw and developing.

So the most deserving player for DPOY will probably never win as long as Ibaka is grabbing headlines with his shot-blocking, even if the rest of his defense is still pretty mediocre.

At the moment, the players who deserve it most are KG (for the first 1/3rd of this season, we were the league's best defense with him on the floor, and the league's worst with him off of it; that ALONE should, in a just world, make him automatic DPOY), Tim Duncan, and Tyson Chandler. Honorable mentions to Roy Hibbert, Tony Allen, and Avery Bradley.

You are right on here.

The best shot blocker is the best defender to the voters, which just isn't the case.

KG was a better defender than Ibaka but didn't have the blocks.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:32:53 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford