Author Topic: After KG dust up with Carmelo MSG will record opponents  (Read 5780 times)

After KG dust up with Carmelo MSG will record opponents
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:28:35 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
NEW YORK -- In the wake of an incident between Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Garnett that resulted in Anthony's suspension, the Knicks recorded all in-game conversations between the forward and players around him Friday against the Bulls, a league source has confirmed.

Owner James Dolan ordered Madison Square Garden technicians to place two microphones on opposite ends of the court, a move league sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard was put in place in order to protect Anthony.

The Knicks were trying to ascertain whether other players were going overboard in their trash talking against Anthony, sources told Broussard.

It is not clear whether the recordings will continue, but sources tell Broussard that any move to paint them as Dolan "spying" on Anthony is "flat-out wrong."

Tim Frank, the NBA's senior vice president of basketball communications, said the league has no issue with the recordings.

"There are no prohibitions against having audio equipment in the arena," Frank said.

The Knicks declined to comment on the incident.

Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau said Tuesday he was not aware of the recordings.

"It's not that big of a deal because there are mics everywhere now," Thibodeau said. "They're in players' uniforms. That's where the game is. You can't allow that stuff to get you distracted."

Thibodeau was asked about secrets in the huddle being revealed.

"We're prepared for that," Thibodeau said.

The Newark Star Ledger first reported Dolan's order to record Anthony's on-court conversations, as well as those around him.

The newspaper reported that Dolan ordered the tapes to be sent directly to him. The Post reported that the microphones were in place for Sunday's home game against New Orleans as well.

Anthony confronted Garnett last Monday near the Celtics' bus after their game that night because he was upset over a verbal insult the Celtics' big man directed at him during the game.

"It's certain things that you just don't say to men, another man," Anthony said last week when asked what Garnett said to get under his skin. "I felt that he crossed the line."

Anthony was suspended one game by the NBA for confronting Garnett off the floor after the game.

Before the team left Monday night for its trip to London to play the Detroit Pistons on Thursday, Knicks coach Mike Woodson said he had no first-hand knowledge of the recordings.

"I heard about it, but I don't know about all of that, I don't know where it came from," Woodson said.

Woodson added he did not see any extra recording devices around the court Friday.

"Absolutely not. I'm distracted in other areas, and that's watching these guys run up and down the floor and play basketball," Woodson said.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8846244&city=newyork

"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: After KG dust up with Carmelo MSG will record opponents
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 05:36:58 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Idiotic.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:37:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
What they (MSG) need to do is place more cameras, microphones, etc - outside of opposing teams' buses, lol.

But seriously is there some sort of League rule against this?

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:38:19 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
That's intense.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Yup. Pretty much sums up New York Knicks basketball...

On a side note would anyone else be scared to have this guy following your every move?

http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/this-is-the-dude-following-carmelo-around-recording-everything-he-says/

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »

Offline GronkSpike

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
To put it in other terms, Knicks are baby-proofing the place so the baby doesn't do anything stupid.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Well this will definitely increase the amount of trash talk Melo gets on the road at least.  Something new for his opponents to talk about.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 06:45:28 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
They can use the recordings for their own reference but in order to submit anything to the league as a complaint they would have to get the offending trash talker to sign a waiver.

Good luck with that Knicks. You pack of idiots.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 06:45:50 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
So the next time a player talks even a little trash to Melo everyone will be like, "Oh, see!  Melo is the one who takes crap all time!  He never starts anything!  Not even a post-game altercation outside the opposing team's bus while being protected by a bunch of cops so he doesn't get his tail kicked.  MELO FOR MVP!"

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
So the next time a player talks even a little trash to Melo everyone will be like, "Oh, see!  Melo is the one who takes crap all time!  He never starts anything!  Not even a post-game altercation outside the opposing team's bus while being protected by a bunch of cops so he doesn't get his tail kicked.  MELO FOR MVP!"

Well that's the thing...

They can't really show anyone what's being said unless the players have that as a contractual obligation under the MSG network.

I know for a fact that players/coaches can choose whether or not to be recorded by networks like TNT/ESPN etc and paper is actually signed so the networks can use those recordings. The Knicks aren't on a different planet as far as the law is concerned. As much as melo would like them to be.

Not to mention being an audio engineer by trade; I know how difficult it is to get a clear recording of moving people in a loud crowded environment with a shotgun microphone. You point the shotgun an inch too far to the left, and you're recording people in the third row, not melo.

Aside to the fact, all this hubbub from one incident has shown that Kevin really got under melo's and the team's skin. Now teams know it works, they will go hammer and tongs at the Knicks.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Well that's the thing...

They can't really show anyone what's being said unless the players have that as a contractual obligation under the MSG network.

I know for a fact that players/coaches can choose whether or not to be recorded by networks like TNT/ESPN etc and paper is actually signed so the networks can use those recordings. The Knicks aren't on a different planet as far as the law is concerned. As much as melo would like them to be.

Not to mention being an audio engineer by trade; I know how difficult it is to get a clear recording of moving people in a loud crowded environment with a shotgun microphone. You point the shotgun an inch too far to the left, and you're recording people in the third row, not melo.

Aside to the fact, all this hubbub from one incident has shown that Kevin really got under melo's and the team's skin. Now teams know it works, they will go hammer and tongs at the Knicks.

Yeah, I'm sure the networks ask players if they're alright wearing a mic during the game.  I don't think the coaches really care, though.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 07:16:22 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
How about a little shout out to the Comcast Sports videographers and whoever else had a part in recording that mess. They were in the right place at the right time and thats what they call "professionalism" in the industry. Ok i made that last part up. But seriously these guys deserve some credit celticsbloggers. They essentially went in to New York, enemy territory, as the competition on numerous levels and just dominated. If any of the production guys read this blog i am one fan who is forever grateful. Well done gents (and ladies). You guys came through big time. What a mess this created just when the Knicks started getting positive national media coverage. This makes Carmelo and the whole organization look extremely soft. If they were worried about getting ridiculed before, they just created their own new material. James Dolan you never disappoint my good sir.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 07:20:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm going to love it when the Knicks take these recordings to the league and state that this is proof that opposing players are purposely attempting to provoke Carmelo Anthony with over the top trash talking.

Well, no, that part I won't love. The part I will love will be when the league tells them to have Carmelo go out and grow a pair of balls or use his millions to buy a pair.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 07:20:56 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Isn't this the same organization that had a huge sex scandal with Stephon Marbury and a bunch of shady Isiah Thomas moments? Maybe they should worry more about their own organization and record them ....

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 08:55:44 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
If they do this i hope the league will ask for every tape to be given in from every game. I could see MSG doing something shady like cutting out parts where melo might say something sketchy

Melo needs to man the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. up and grow a set of grapes. Didnt think it would be possible for me to hate him even more but i stand corrected. This is a professional sports franchise trash talking and sledging is apart of the game whether you like it or not. Grow a set and deal with you crybaby chucker