Author Topic: Danny happy with roster, doesn't think we have any glaring needs  (Read 9711 times)

Re: Danny happy with roster, doesn't think we have any glaring needs
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 12:25:56 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
I know we all love what sully is doing and we dont want to trade him ,
but just say the kings say we want sully lee and someone else with out giving bradley for cousins

I know the kings would want more just talking would you trade sully to get cousins

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Looks like Cousins won't be moved until the ownership situation is taken care of. That means he likely stays put until the season ends. Maybe around the draft he is moved.

I don't think we are going to make any blockbuster deals this season. We likely stand pat with this roster (we are on a 6 game winning streak) and hope to add a big or two via buyouts.

All along DA and Doc wanted to see what this team looked like with AB. I would say they probably like what they are seeing thus far.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 12:46:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Roster is really good, but we still aren't winning anything unless we add another solid big man/defender to KG and Sully

Have to thoroughly disagree with this statement.  You can argue we might be better with another big man, but you cannot argue "we aren't winning anything" when they are only 4 games out of 1st place in the Eastern Conference before the All Star break.
and only 1/2 a game from the 8th seed and currently the 7th seed.  At least the 9th place team is as far away from Boston as Boston is from 1st.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 01:02:46 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Ainge's bargaining position is far stronger during a win streak or uptick of the team rather than during a losing streak like our West coast debacle.

We still need a big.

If we still believe that the road to the Finals goes through South Beach, the best way to beat the cHeat is not trying to beat them at their own game of "smalball", but rather to outmuscle them and beat them up inside.

The cHeat are a poor rebounding team. Bosh is averaging 5 rebounds per game in January as their starting center and 7 for the year. Against the Jazz last night, they kept getting pounded in the post.

That's how you beat the cHeat. Don't let our recent successes fool you. (I'm sure it doesn't Danny): WE NEED ANOTHER BIG.
You're not going to beat the Heat with any big man that may be available in free agency or trade.

Actually, the fact that the Heat do not have a dominant big makes our need for a more backup center all the less glaring.

Well, the one exception MAY be Cousins.  He is capable of dominating a basketball game, if he focussed, and the Heat wouldn't have an answer for him. 

Of course, focus is the issue.  And its also a question of what you would have to give up to get him. 

Gasol also has the potential to be that type of big man, but I don't think he is a realistic option for the C's.

Big Al just dropped 23 and 11 on 57% shooting against Miami  last night. Might be able to get him for Green, Bass and a 1st or Melo?

Would hate to lose Green, but it's tempting if I am Danny..

Obviously we would need to find a new backup SF,but the upgrade at the big man position might be worth it.

add nene to the list too

....and Okafur, and Gortat, and Dalembert.

So now we have at least 5 bigs (AlJeff, Nene, Okafur, Gortat and Dalembert)who would help our rebounding tremendously and give us a better chance againstthe cHeat.

+1 for the open mind and the viable suggestions, rondohondo

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:12:22 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Just so everyone is clear what type of potential Cousins flashes on a nightly basis.. His line last night was, 26pts on 7-of-14 shooting, 14rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, and 3 blocks. And yes i'd trade Sully for that type of production.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1715/demarcus-cousins

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 01:37:27 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Ainge's bargaining position is far stronger during a win streak or uptick of the team rather than during a losing streak like our West coast debacle.

We still need a big.

If we still believe that the road to the Finals goes through South Beach, the best way to beat the cHeat is not trying to beat them at their own game of "smalball", but rather to outmuscle them and beat them up inside.

The cHeat are a poor rebounding team. Bosh is averaging 5 rebounds per game in January as their starting center and 7 for the year. Against the Jazz last night, they kept getting pounded in the post.

That's how you beat the cHeat. Don't let our recent successes fool you. (I'm sure it doesn't Danny): WE NEED ANOTHER BIG.
You're not going to beat the Heat with any big man that may be available in free agency or trade.

Actually, the fact that the Heat do not have a dominant big makes our need for a more backup center all the less glaring.

Well, the one exception MAY be Cousins.  He is capable of dominating a basketball game, if he focussed, and the Heat wouldn't have an answer for him. 

Of course, focus is the issue.  And its also a question of what you would have to give up to get him. 

Gasol also has the potential to be that type of big man, but I don't think he is a realistic option for the C's.

Big Al just dropped 23 and 11 on 57% shooting against Miami  last night. Might be able to get him for Green, Bass and a 1st or Melo?

Obviously we would need to find a new backup SF,but the upgrade at the big man position might be worth it.

add nene to the list too

So now we have at least 5 bigs (AlJeff, Nene, Okafur, Gortat and Dalembert)who would help our rebounding tremendously and give us a better chance againstthe cHeat.

Now, I think you may have taken it a little far.  I would say that guys like Okafor and Dalembert, and perhaps Gortat wouldn't actually cause problems for the Heat.

Okafor looks completely cooked.  He just has not been the player he used to be (and even then, he wasn't the type of player that you needed to worry too much about offensively).  He would be pretty easy to cover with single coverage, with pretty much any of the Heat's big men, without a problem. 

Dalembert may not even get on the floor for the C's, and would be a disaster against the Heat.  He is just a terrible team defender, and when you play Lebron, you need the team defense to be clicking perfectly to stop the pick and rolls.  And offensively, he is not a threat for anything other than the occasional alley-oop.  Not someone they would worry about.

Gortat is a bit different.  Its so hard to tell with him on that Phoenix team, but I actually think he would be a solid enough defense, and his ability to score on the pick and roll offensively would actually cause a problem for the Heat.  He is not the kind of low post scorer that can really hurt them the way someone like Gasol, Cousins, or Jefferson could, but he would keep the Heat honest, and open up the floor for the C's shooters. 

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Just so everyone is clear what type of potential Cousins flashes on a nightly basis.. His line last night was, 26pts on 7-of-14 shooting, 14rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, and 3 blocks. And yes i'd trade Sully for that type of production.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1715/demarcus-cousins

You HAVE to trade Sully for that kind of production.

Basically, you would be trading off the worries of Sully's back being an issue for Cousin's attitude being an issue, while upgrading in talent. 

Cousin's basically has the same skillset as Sully, but is taller and more athletic.  The only thing holding him back from being a superstar is an inconsistent effort (but when he gives it, he GIVES it), and a little bit extra crazy. 

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The more I think about it, the more I like Jefferson on the Celtics.  Put him in the low post on offense creates issues for the Heat.  Bosh is probably to small to defend him down there and do they really want Lebron down there for a 7 game series?  Could force them to go "big". 

Defensively, let him hold the paint and allow KG to roam more.  He isn't great, but he will be solid for the Celtics down there.  The Celtics can still move KG back to C and bring in a better defender at PF for that single stop. 

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 01:43:05 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge isn't feeling any pressure to make a move before the trade deadline comes about. In fact, he's perfectly happy with where the team is at this point.

"I feel like we don't have any glaring needs when we're playing the way we're playing," he said. "Everyone's playing their role; whether they're playing well all the time is not as much of a point if they are accepting a role and giving an honest day's worth of work."

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/1/15/3877880/nba-trade-rumors-boston-celticsDa

Roster is really good, but we still aren't winning anything unless we add another solid big man/defender to KG and Sully .

I concur.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 01:50:36 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Roster is really good, but we still aren't winning anything unless we add another solid big man/defender to KG and Sully

Have to thoroughly disagree with this statement.  You can argue we might be better with another big man, but you cannot argue "we aren't winning anything" when they are only 4 games out of 1st place in the Eastern Conference before the All Star break.

I'm just guessing, but by "we aren't winning anything," I think RondoHondo meant that we can't win the NBA title, not that we literally couldn't win anything (e.g., something lesser such as the division). And I agree with him. Sully is a great rebounder, but not a rim protector. Wilcox is great at what he does (run, finish), but he's not a rim protector. Neither is Bass. Neither is Collins. KG is the only intimidating interior defender on the roster. Having an improved perimeter defense with the return of Bradley certainly helps our bigs, but I'd feel more comfortable and confident if there was someone else obsessively guarding the cylinder whenever KG's out.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »

• Satch Sanders

We still need a big.

Let's not forget that the Heat aren't the only team we'll have to beat on the way to an NBA title. The Knicks have Chandler and Stoudemire; the Nets have Lopez, Humphries, Blatche, and Evans; the Sixers might have Bynum; the Bulls have Boozer and Noah; the Spurs have Duncan and Splitter; the Thunder have Perk and Ibaka; the Clippers have Griffin and Jordan.

Point being, we may be in severe need of another decent big at more than one point in the postseason.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

We still need a big.

add nene to the list too

Now, I think you may have taken it a little far.  I would say that guys like Okafor and Dalembert, and perhaps Gortat wouldn't actually cause problems for the Heat.

Okafor looks completely cooked.  He just has not been the player he used to be (and even then, he wasn't the type of player that you needed to worry too much about offensively).  He would be pretty easy to cover with single coverage, with pretty much any of the Heat's big men, without a problem. 

Dalembert may not even get on the floor for the C's, and would be a disaster against the Heat.  He is just a terrible team defender, and when you play Lebron, you need the team defense to be clicking perfectly to stop the pick and rolls.  And offensively, he is not a threat for anything other than the occasional alley-oop.  Not someone they would worry about.

Gortat is a bit different.  Its so hard to tell with him on that Phoenix team, but I actually think he would be a solid enough defense, and his ability to score on the pick and roll offensively would actually cause a problem for the Heat.  He is not the kind of low post scorer that can really hurt them the way someone like Gasol, Cousins, or Jefferson could, but he would keep the Heat honest, and open up the floor for the C's shooters.

Okafor has averaged 28 minutes, 11 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in the last 10 games including a 19/10 game in his last game. He can still rebound, expires next year and in my opinion gives us minutes and bounds at C that would be hge for us. That being said, I would rather have Nene. He's not as burnt and costs the same $$, but for 2 years longer than Okafor.

Dalembert is a bargain right now. He has only played in 18 games thsi year, because he has been in Skiles doghouse. Skiles, you know not exactly a forgiving, second chance player's coach.

In those 18 games, he has averaged 16 minutes, 6ppg, 5rpg and 1.3 bpg in 16 minutes. He will be a rebounder and rim protector for us and we can buy low on him, unless Boylan starts playing him with Skiles gone.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 02:34:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Of course danny would say that... as he feverishly shops everyone on the team behind the scenes.

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 02:41:07 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I agree with Danny. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson