Author Topic: Danny happy with roster, doesn't think we have any glaring needs  (Read 9692 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge isn't feeling any pressure to make a move before the trade deadline comes about. In fact, he's perfectly happy with where the team is at this point.

"I feel like we don't have any glaring needs when we're playing the way we're playing," he said. "Everyone's playing their role; whether they're playing well all the time is not as much of a point if they are accepting a role and giving an honest day's worth of work."

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/1/15/3877880/nba-trade-rumors-boston-celticsDa

Roster is really good, but we still aren't winning anything unless we add another solid big man/defender to KG and Sully .

Re: Danny happy with roster, doesn't think we have any glaring needs
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:28:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
GM talk.

"We are happy with our team.  We feel no pressure to have to make a trade."  Translation, we are not going to overpay for your players.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
GM talk.

"We are happy with our team.  We feel no pressure to have to make a trade."  Translation, we are not going to overpay for your players.

Ditto. I'd even add: "There is a potential trade about to happen, but we're trying to improve our bargaining position."
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
GM talk.

"And I will continue to low-ball you, every single time I call/text you."

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 09:31:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Key words "when we are playing like we are playing".  Its the qualifier that belies the statement.  Yeah, when your team has won 6 in a row, it is hard to nitpick.  That doesn't mean they can't make the team better.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:34:36 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
It would suck if Danny traded for someone "better" and end up swapping the win streak for a losing one.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:59:07 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
It would suck if Danny traded for someone "better" and end up swapping the win streak for a losing one.

Well, the question is (and its a difficult one), what exactly does the win streak mean?

Does it mean that this team is suddenly a legit championship contender?  Or does it mean that they are on a hot streak, and while most teams are turning it down a few notches in January, the C's are turning it up.  And so we are seeing the C's play at the top of their potential, while other teams are underperforming.  But the C's may not have that extra gear come April and May...or maybe they will.

This is why I don't envy Danny.  But it is also why I think Danny tends to ignore how the team is playing in the moment, and try to look at the roster as a whole.  He is not easily swayed by a losing streak, just like he is not easily swayed by a winning streak, because he knows, unless that is happening in the playoffs, it is not necessarily telling of the teams overall potential. 

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:17:51 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Roster is really good, but we still aren't winning anything unless we add another solid big man/defender to KG and Sully

Have to thoroughly disagree with this statement.  You can argue we might be better with another big man, but you cannot argue "we aren't winning anything" when they are only 4 games out of 1st place in the Eastern Conference before the All Star break.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 11:20:16 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I agree with Danny.

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:20:25 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Of course he is going to say this we are on a six game winning streak. If we had lost 6 games in a row, everybodys name would be in the media as on the way out.

Danny is working the phones. That is his job. He is always going to be talking to other gm's about making deals to better our team. Thats what his job is. It doesnt mean anybody is on the trading block per say.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think no trade is imminent until the trade deadline

why? because we are on a 6 game winning streak and Danny wants to see how Bradley really impacts our game defensively. On this 6 game winning streak (hell even on our loss to Memphis, we have seen how contagious Bradley's defense is for our team).

Also, Sully is improving so rapidly that even we are surprised on how he is playing. This kid will continue to have his minutes increased and I believe he is still improving.

Danny won't do anything at the moment because he wants to see how this team plays with a full healthy roster. And I gotta say, this 6 game win streak is amazing, just seeing how everyone is playing their role and how chemistry is starting to get better.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Ainge's bargaining position is far stronger during a win streak or uptick of the team rather than during a losing streak like our West coast debacle.

We still need a big.

If we still believe that the road to the Finals goes through South Beach, the best way to beat the cHeat is not trying to beat them at their own game of "smalball", but rather to outmuscle them and beat them up inside.

The cHeat are a poor rebounding team. Bosh is averaging 5 rebounds per game in January as their starting center and 7 for the year. Against the Jazz last night, they kept getting pounded in the post.

That's how you beat the cHeat. Don't let our recent successes fool you. (I'm sure it doesn't Danny): WE NEED ANOTHER BIG.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 12:11:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Ainge's bargaining position is far stronger during a win streak or uptick of the team rather than during a losing streak like our West coast debacle.

We still need a big.

If we still believe that the road to the Finals goes through South Beach, the best way to beat the cHeat is not trying to beat them at their own game of "smalball", but rather to outmuscle them and beat them up inside.

The cHeat are a poor rebounding team. Bosh is averaging 5 rebounds per game in January as their starting center and 7 for the year. Against the Jazz last night, they kept getting pounded in the post.

That's how you beat the cHeat. Don't let our recent successes fool you. (I'm sure it doesn't Danny): WE NEED ANOTHER BIG.
You're not going to beat the Heat with any big man that may be available in free agency or trade.

Actually, the fact that the Heat do not have a dominant big makes our need for a more backup center all the less glaring.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

We still need a big.

You're not going to beat the Heat with any big man that may be available in free agency or trade.

Actually, the fact that the Heat do not have a dominant big makes our need for a more backup center all the less glaring.

Well, the one exception MAY be Cousins.  He is capable of dominating a basketball game, if he focussed, and the Heat wouldn't have an answer for him. 

Of course, focus is the issue.  And its also a question of what you would have to give up to get him. 

Gasol also has the potential to be that type of big man, but I don't think he is a realistic option for the C's. 

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 12:21:45 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

We still need a big.

Well, the one exception MAY be Cousins.  He is capable of dominating a basketball game, if he focussed, and the Heat wouldn't have an answer for him. 

Of course, focus is the issue.  And its also a question of what you would have to give up to get him. 

Gasol also has the potential to be that type of big man, but I don't think he is a realistic option for the C's.

Big Al just dropped 23 and 11 on 57% shooting against Miami  last night. Might be able to get him for Green, Bass and a 1st or Melo?

Would hate to lose Green, but it's tempting if I am Danny..

Obviously we would need to find a new backup SF,but the upgrade at the big man position might be worth it.

add nene to the list too