Author Topic: Ya can't say it's not because of Bradley  (Read 24072 times)

Re: Ya can't say it's not because of Bradley
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013, 07:28:22 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I don't see why undersized would make him worse. He has huge wingspan, is extremely quick, athletic, and fast and he clearly has a passion for defense which is huge thing to go along with that. There are very very few guys in the league that pride themselves in defense.

The only potential problem regarding size would be a dominant bigger 2 guard I think the post maybe Kobe, joe johnson, or Dwade. Other than those guys I don't see why anyone would ever be worried about his size. I think Rondo would probably be better defensive player at the 2 than 75% shooting guards cause the fact is there aren't many good defensive players

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I don't see why undersized would make him worse. He has huge wingspan, is extremely quick, athletic, and fast and he clearly has a passion for defense which is huge thing to go along with that. There are very very few guys in the league that pride themselves in defense.

The only potential problem regarding size would be a dominant bigger 2 guard I think the post maybe Kobe, joe johnson, or Dwade. Other than those guys I don't see why anyone would ever be worried about his size. I think Rondo would probably be better defensive player at the 2 than 75% shooting guards cause the fact is there aren't many good defensive players

Ahem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ1xz-7OVh4

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 09:35:18 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Rondo and the Celtics were blatantly using Bradley's absence as an excuse for their total lack of effort... so it doesn't totally surprise me that Bradley's return has them suddenly playing harder and winning some games. 

Bradley is a good defensive role player... weak offensive player.  High energy guy who at the moment has helped everyone on this team get out of their funk and start playing like the games matter.

"Rondo and the Celtics"?  Is that like "Dion and the Belmonts"  or "Bob Marley and the Wailers"?

I'm just saying that this team has a tendency to make excuses.  Maybe I shouldn't call it excuses.  I think it's a mental barrier.  Like they kept telling themselves they had never lost a series with Perkins in the lineup... they convinced themselves that they were unbeatable with Perkins... which essentially like making an excuse for poor play without Perkins.  Basketball requires mental focus.  It requires confidence.  It's hard to be 100% focused and confident if you keep telling yourself your missing a key player.  To me, it seemed like they were doing the same thing with Bradley.  Rondo even said in an interview that they'd be better once Bradley came back.  I think at least partially that impacts the mental focus of the team... why try 100% if you know your team is gaining a key piece soon?   I think they were dogging it and waiting for Bradley to come back so they could lock in and start playing hard.   So far, everyone seems to be more focused now that Bradley is back. 

SO basically I'm saying the Celtics were coasting until the after the HOlidays and now they are actually taking games seriously.

I got what you were saying.  I just thought it was funny that you referred to the team as "Rondo and the Celtics."
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Ahem.

He's also defended JR Smith and Harden with great success this season. Both bigger with similar athleticism.

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Ahem.

He's also defended JR Smith and Harden with great success this season. Both bigger with similar athleticism.

Yeah my point was that I could see someone being worried about it. Dwayne wade hasn't been able to and I dont think Bradley has matched up with Kobe yet and JJ has played more SF when they're matched up.

Just in general I don't get why people think height is that relative a factor at any position. I think it usually has less to do with height and more to do with work ethic, athelticism, footwork, quickness, vertical leap, wingspan, strength etc.

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think our recent success can be attributed to bradley's return, but i think theres a few other factors:

1. time to build chemistry and roles
2. sully is showing signs of "getting it" and playing great
3. a little success has create confidence
4. they have had some adversity (knicks game, rondo suspended, bad road trip after xmas game)
5. doc
6. pierce playing well

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2013, 10:00:39 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
He's a big part of the turnaround.

And he won't be 23 until end of Nov... :o.

He's not even near his prime, yet.

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
can someone tell me why people keep posting that bradley is a "weak offensive player"

Everything Bradley has shown me in the nba(and college so far) is that he can shoot, and he can finish around the rim....he averaged double digits last year starting.

as he is getting his timing back, he's scoring in double digits again...averaging 8.7ppg so far on the season

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2013, 08:15:19 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Some can't stand success unless it's because of their *guy* It is hard to believe a twice surgical cut player with a little rehab could come back and give us this huge boost. Well he has. Facts are facts.

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2013, 08:21:19 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
can someone tell me why people keep posting that bradley is a "weak offensive player"

Everything Bradley has shown me in the nba(and college so far) is that he can shoot, and he can finish around the rim....he averaged double digits last year starting.

as he is getting his timing back, he's scoring in double digits again...averaging 8.7ppg so far on the season

He struggled early when he started playing last year and I guess people didn't notice his numbers came around.

This year he started a little rusty but he already is quickly turning it around, faster than last year.  Last game it was great to see him hit threes like that.  He is the type of player who is a nightmare in transition because he can hurt you form all ranges and manage to find open space.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2013, 08:47:22 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

He can't create his own and isnt the greatest ballhandler? yes he can shoot and cut to the basket and finish. Im a huge fan and agree he deserves a ton of the credit since his return but it doesnt mean hes some all world offensive player

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2013, 08:58:06 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen

He can't create his own and isnt the greatest ballhandler? yes he can shoot and cut to the basket and finish. Im a huge fan and agree he deserves a ton of the credit since his return but it doesnt mean hes some all world offensive player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B160-NrWQvg

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

This is and has been quite a few players on our team though.

Not saying he doesn't have areas to improve on or what you say isn't fair, but yeah, he has serious strengths as well.  The cutting is big to me, you don't see many guards cut like that these days.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2013, 09:07:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What's controversial about saying Avery isn't a great offensive player?

He's had some phenomenal offensive games, but for his career he's averaging 12.7 points per 36 minutes.  He had some great moments last year -- including a fantastic six game streak of 15+ point games -- but he needs to show scoring like that on a consistent basis before he can be described as a "great" or even "good" offensive player.

My expectation is that he'll eventually settle in somewhere in the low double-digits per game.  I'll gladly take that if he continues to play excellent defense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
What's controversial about saying Avery isn't a great offensive player?

Might be because they're implying that he's not just not great but inept.