Author Topic: Ya can't say it's not because of Bradley  (Read 24009 times)

Re: Ya can't say it's not because of Bradley
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Being in the low 40s for fg% doesn't sound great, unless you compare it to the league average which is in the high 30s. Above average = fairly solid.
Well I guess Rondo has had a "solid midrange game" for most of his career then...

He has actually.  His shooting percentages have always been decent from midrange.  The problem is, in the past, he would only take those shots when he had no other option, and was wide open, so it just wasn't as effective.  Now, he is better, because not only is he shooting well, but he is confident enough in his shooting take those shots to keep the defense honest.
I'm confused, he was taking shots wide open, supposedly had decent midrange game, but wasn't as effective?

I'm more inclined to believe that the league, on average, doesn't have a decent midrange game :P

Yes.  He was still hitting a similar percentage of the shots he took, but instead of taking maybe 5 of 10 of the open shots he had, which he probably does now, he was taking MAYBE 1 of 10.  So, defenses were more easily able to play off him, go under picks, sit in the passing lanes, etc.  And that made him less effective as a player.

The whole "Rondo needs to take those shots" thing was fairly overblown. He was taking reasonably close to the league average (for point guards) shots a game. People would say he needed to take the shot when he was open to keep the defense honest but the defense would give him that shot every time the Celts had the ball.

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2013, 10:32:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
So was it a turnaround or was it just law of averages?  We're back to being .500... we followed up a stretch where we lost 8 of 10 by winning 6 in a row... and now we've lost 3 in a row. 

Is this all just about the ups and downs of a mediocre team or are we still calling Avery Bradley a savior?

« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2013, 11:00:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
So was it a turnaround or was it just law of averages?  We're back to being .500... we followed up a stretch where we lost 8 of 10 by winning 6 in a row... and now we've lost 3 in a row. 

Is this all just about the ups and downs of a mediocre team or are we still calling Avery Bradley a savior?
beat me to reviving this thread for that very question.  AB is back and they're back to they're old ways. 

As I've said before, it's going to take a TEAM effort to turn this season around.  AB alone won't get it done

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2013, 01:32:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

beat me to reviving this thread for that very question.  AB is back and they're back to they're old ways. 

As I've said before, it's going to take a TEAM effort to turn this season around.  AB alone won't get it done
kicking this thread down the road some more so that those people pinning the improved play on just AB returning can step up and explain why this team is back to sucking wind even with him back and healthy.

as I stated previously on this thread, it's a TEAM effort that led to the win streak and it's a TEAM lack of effort leading to the renewed crappy play.

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

kicking this thread down the road some more so that those people pinning the improved play on just AB returning can step up and explain why this team is back to sucking wind even with him back and healthy.

as I stated previously on this thread, it's a TEAM effort that led to the win streak and it's a TEAM lack of effort leading to the renewed crappy play.
Yeah pretty much.   I stick by what I said which is that Bradley's return gave everyone kind of a playoff boost.  They had been using his absence as an excuse for their struggles.  Actually it wasn't really an excuse... i more think it was a mental barrier that they refused to crack through... a sort of way of telling themselves it was acceptable to half-ass it, because they weren't a full team until Bradley returned.   

Once he returned, they were locked in and motivated. You can ride that adrenaline burst for a short period of time, but I don't think it's that sustainable when your team is mediocre.   This team is mediocre... 

Don't be shocked if we rattle off another 6 game win streak.  Don't be shocked if everyone then jumps back on the brandwagon and starts claiming we merely had a little "hiccup".   But I still think it's just all the predictable ups and downs of a .500 team.   

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I stick by what I said which is that Bradley's return gave everyone kind of a playoff boost.
I'm not sure this team realizes this wasn't really a "playoff boost". This was the level at which they're supposed to play the entire regular season, and then turn it up a notch in the playoffs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2013, 02:09:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah pretty much.   I stick by what I said which is that Bradley's return gave everyone kind of a playoff boost.  They had been using his absence as an excuse for their struggles.  Actually it wasn't really an excuse... i more think it was a mental barrier that they refused to crack through... a sort of way of telling themselves it was acceptable to half-ass it, because they weren't a full team until Bradley returned.   

Once he returned, they were locked in and motivated. You can ride that adrenaline burst for a short period of time, but I don't think it's that sustainable when your team is mediocre.   This team is mediocre...   

This team definitely doesn't put forth very much effort on a night to night basis.  It's rather sickening.

I pretty much have come to the same conclusion.  Bradley's return was a "shot in the arm" that has now worn off.  Just watch, next game out against the Knicks we'll probably end up seeing the enthusiastic and engaged Celtics.  Motivating this team has proven rather difficult.

The biggest question I have is, who is most to blame for the Celtics lack of motivation and how does it get fixed?

« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

This team definitely doesn't put forth very much effort on a night to night basis.  It's rather sickening.

I pretty much have come to the same conclusion.  Bradley's return was a "shot in the arm" that has now worn off.  Just watch, next game out against the Knicks we'll probably end up seeing the enthusiastic and engaged Celtics.  Motivating this team has proven rather difficult.

The biggest question I have is, who is most to blame for the Celtics lack of motivation and how does it get fixed?
considering this has been how they've played since the 2010 season, I'd put the motivational issues on Doc and the vet players.  these guys shouldn't need motivational speeches to play hard every game but it seems that they do.

« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
sure you can.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2013, 09:48:02 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2013, 09:56:34 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Bradley has played like crap since he hurt his ribs and on top of it was getting over the flU, which really isn't an excuse just more concern he will never stay healthy at this point, because his  return and the Celtics improvement wasn't a fluke but it's not a huge surprise who bumped this thread.
Shall we bump the ones where the lakers would never lose again because of the hire of the fraudulent mike dantoni? I'll spare ya

« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2013, 09:59:23 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is from the locked thread, but seems relevant here...

I think its the injury.  Though he is starting to become the Jacoby Ellsbury of the Celtics.

This is my problem with Bradley longterm (and the reason I would strongly consider trading him if anyone values him high enough).

When he is healthy, and playing 100%, he is a gamechanger.  However, if he is nicked up a bit, he drops from a gamechanger to just a really good defensive role player, and then there are the times when he can't even get on the floor.

He is just so small to play as physically as he does, and he isn't skilled enough in the other parts of the game to not be that physical, without being much less effective overall.

So what it comes down to is that he likely has to be a part time player.  The chances of him staying healthy, and being able to give the full effort that we need from him are so slim. 

Unfortunately, I am not sure anyone else is high enough on him to give up the value thats needed to make a trade worthwhile for the C's.

« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I think its the injury.  Though he is starting to become the Jacoby Ellsbury of the Celtics.

This is my problem with Bradley longterm (and the reason I would strongly consider trading him if anyone values him high enough).

When he is healthy, and playing 100%, he is a gamechanger.  However, if he is nicked up a bit, he drops from a gamechanger to just a really good defensive role player, and then there are the times when he can't even get on the floor.

He is just so small to play as physically as he does, and he isn't skilled enough in the other parts of the game to not be that physical, without being much less effective overall.

So what it comes down to is that he likely has to be a part time player.  The chances of him staying healthy, and being able to give the full effort that we need from him are so slim. 

Unfortunately, I am not sure anyone else is high enough on him to give up the value thats needed to make a trade worthwhile for the C's.

I agree.

« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2013, 10:19:42 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I agree.

I agree as well. And it seems that because of his physical play and because he is so small he gets hurt more easily. There must be teams out there that value his presence and are looking at him. I wish we would have traded him this offseason when his value was at its peak.

« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2013, 10:24:55 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
All the bradley haters were dead silent not long ago and now they wanna talk again. The celtics start winning the second AB returns. The celtics start losing the second AB gets hurt. To say hes been fully healthy since returning is ignorant. Again nobody ever said he was the savior the only people saying that are the people against AB ironically. I've said numerous times this team needed AB & a Big next to KG. We actually played with good effort last night we just lost. If you really wanna identify the problems with this team, look no further than pierce bass terry & sometimes rondo when hes playing lazy pathetic defense.