Author Topic: Rank the top 5 PGs in the NBA this season?  (Read 5015 times)

Re: Rank the top 5 PGs in the NBA this season?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 12:28:03 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Is chris Paul so far ahead cause he's winning?

Seems like they do pretty well without him too.

To be fair, we have had out good games without Rondo as well.

I personally don't think he's so far ahead, but you'd have to ask everyone else what they think.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Why do people put Vasquez higher than Rondo?

Vasquez is definitely a good point guard, but there is no measure by which he is having a better season than Rondo, even with Rondo's injury and suspension issues.

Chris Paul is definitely the number 1 choice. He is having an amazing season.
I would say Rondo and Westbrook are tied for 2nd. They have different skill-sets (passing vs. scoring), and are just as valuable to their respective teams. Westbrook is more athletic, Rondo has better BBIQ and court-vision. It's a wash between them (advanced metrics actually give Rondo a significant edge, but I think those metrics underrate Westbrook just a tad).
Tony Parker is a half-step below Rondo and Westbrook. He is playing well, but Tim Duncan has been more key to the Spurs than Parker thus far. I would put Kyrie Irving here, too; he is a phenomenal player, but it has not yet translated into wins.
Curry and Vasquez are tied a step below Parker.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 12:52:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
this begs the question: do any PGs other than Rondo really matter?   

they're all fighting for second best.   ;D

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

The otherworldly 4.5 to 1 AST/TO ratio may have something to do with it as well.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

The otherworldly 4.5 to 1 AST/TO ratio may have something to do with it as well.

If Rondo had that cast he'd prob be there too.

No im joking. Just feels like when Rondo has stats like that its because his teammates are good when Chris Paul does it its because he's good.

When Rondos team is doing bad its because he's doing bad when Chris Pauls team does bad its because of his team not him.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

No im joking. Just feels like when Rondo has stats like that its because his teammates are good when Chris Paul does it its because he's good.

When Rondos team is doing bad its because he's doing bad when Chris Pauls team does bad its because of his team not him.
So you're saying that we've never had a cast as good as this season's Clippers since Rondo got here? Because with respect to the AST/TO ratio, Rondo has never had stats "like that".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

So you're saying that we've never had a cast as good as this season's Clippers since Rondo got here? Because with respect to the AST/TO ratio, Rondo has never had stats "like that".

Luckily Rondo's numbers hold up during the playoffs, where he has a better career ast/to ratio than Paul, who has a significant advantage in the regular season. The "otherworldly" 4.4/1 ratio Paul had during the season last year was great, the 2/1 ratio he had in the playoffs, not so much.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Luckily Rondo's numbers hold up during the playoffs, where he has a better career ast/to ratio than Paul, who has a significant advantage in the regular season. The "otherworldly" 4.4/1 ratio Paul had during the season last year was great, the 2/1 ratio he had in the playoffs, not so much.
Um, Paul's career playoff AST/TO ratio is about 3/1. His career regular season playoff ratio is 4/1. So he's pretty much like Rondo in the playoffs, and considerably better in the regular season in this respect.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

Yeah, Chris Paul only has a better PER, TS%, eFG%, AST%, TOV%, and Win Shares than Rondo in the playoffs.

Yup, Rondo definitely outperforms him badly.

Their respective records have absolutely nothing to do with Rondo having 3 Hall of Fame teammates (and Paul having 0), Rondo having a better coach, Rondo having a better GM, etc....

Chris Paul only has a better PER, TS%, eFG%, AST%, TOV%, and Win Shares than Rondo in the playoffs.

But sure, cherry pick whatever stats make Rondo look like the playoff God that you think he is.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:16:31 PM by celtsfan84 »

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

Um, Paul's career playoff AST/TO ratio is about 3/1. His career regular season playoff ratio is 4/1. So he's pretty much like Rondo in the playoffs, and considerably better in the regular season in this respect.

TP for accuracy and actually watching CP3 play.  I often think that some have never actually seen Chris Paul play (or bothered to look at his stats) and just assume that Rondo is better?

I'd personally say:

1. Chris Paul
2. Derrick Rose (when healthy)
3. Russell Westbrook
4. Rajon Rondo
5. Tony Parker

Plenty of guys like DeRon, Kyrie, Jrue are just outside the top 5.

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 02:20:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Rondo had been the best for the first month of the season (statistically), but has since been passed up by Chris Paul (who traditionally is #1 year after year).   Really difficult to argue that Chris Paul hasn't been the best point guard in the league... Not only is he statistically the best in the league, but his team has been awesome (#2 record in the league).   CP takes the crown as usual. 

#2, statistically, has been Russell Westbrook.  Some disagree with calling him a point guard, but if you consider him a point guard, he's been the 2nd best in the league.  Also doesn't hurt that his team has the best record in the league.

#3 - Rondo

The following players are right on the heels of Rondo (statistically)

#4 - Steph Curry
#5 - Tony Parker
#6 - Jrue Holiday
#7 - Kyrie Irving

....   Deron Williams and Rose (clearly) are having really terrible seasons.  They usually are in the top 5.

Once again:

#1 - Chris Paul 23.8 EFF/30 wins
#2 - Westbrook 22.8 EFF/30 Wins
#3 - Rondo 21.3 EFF/20 Wins
#4 - Curry 20.4 EFF/23 Wins
#5 - Parker 20.3 EFF/29 Wins
#6 - Holiday 20.2 EFF/16 Wins
#7 - Irving 19.9 EFF/9 Wins

EFF per 48 minutes:

#1 - Chris Paul - 34.18
#2 - Lowry - 30.38
#3 - Westbrook - 30.24
#4 - Parker - 29.98
#5 - Rondo - 27.57
#6 - Irving - 26.87
#7 - Curry - 25.72
#8 - Holiday - 25.62

Any way you slice it, Rondo is a top 5 point guard... but with Rose coming back, Irving on the rise and Williams having an off season due to injury, Rondo could theoretically fall out of the top 5 by next season.  Last year, he was behind both Rose and Williams.  Then again, Rondo's performance in the playoffs against weak competition was phenomenal.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:27:09 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 02:25:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Um, none of that contradicts what I said.

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 02:26:08 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
1. rondo
2. cp3

rest who cares

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 02:26:39 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I just want to see chris Paul win a game in the second round.

Maybe someday Paul will have a good supporting cast

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I just want to see chris Paul win a game in the second round.

Maybe someday Paul will have a good supporting cast

In 2008 he lead a crap Hornets team against San Antonio in round 2 and took the series to 7 games.  That's the year he averaged 24 points, 11 assists, 5 rebounds, 2.3 steals on 50% shooting in the playoffs.

Dogging on Chris paul for lack of playoff success is exactly like dogging Kevin Garnett before arriving in Boston.  He lost in the first round 7 straight years in Minny.  That didn't make him any less of a player... just showed he had a lack of talented teammates.