Poll

What you consider is the biggest mistake D.Ainge made since 2007 ?

Trading a player ( K.Perkins, M,Brooks, G.Davis, etc.)
8 (11.1%)
Not trading a player ( R.Allen, etc.)
18 (25%)
Signing a player ( J.Green, J.O'Neal, etc.)
4 (5.6%)
Not signing a player ( K.Perkins, T.Allen, J.Posey, E.House,M.Daniels, etc.)
17 (23.6%)
Drafting a player ( J.R.Giddens, G.Pruitt, J.Johnson, etc.)
9 (12.5%)
Not drafting a player (M.Gasol, Pekovic, Chalmers, D.Jordan, Asik, Dragic, Parsons)
16 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: What you consider is the biggest mistake D.Ainge made since 2007 ?  (Read 13742 times)

Re: What you consider is the biggest mistake D.Ainge made since 2007 ?
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2013, 02:43:27 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
he didnt trade marshon brooks, he traded the rights to marshon brooks. Theres a difference because he was never going to draft brooks, brooks wasnt on his radar according to everyone.

it was probably a decision between jajuan and chandler parsons.

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2013, 06:43:19 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
he didnt trade marshon brooks, he traded the rights to marshon brooks. Theres a difference because he was never going to draft brooks, brooks wasnt on his radar according to everyone.

it was probably a decision between jajuan and chandler parsons.

It was reported that the three players Ainge was interested in were JJJ, Reggie Jackson (who had been drafted earlier by OKC), and Jimmy Butler (who was drafted later by Chicago).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2013, 06:49:09 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Great idea for a thread, TP.

I chose "Not Trading a Player."  Primarily for the Ray situation, because if Danny/Doc knew that Ray was p---ed at them and was gonna leave anyways, regardless of what we offered him, then you have to trade him.  This isn't baseball where you get compensation picks.  We could be sitting here with OJ Mayo and another 1st round talent right now.  Instead, we got nothing and Ray still went to Miami.

I think it is easy to point fingers at a GM for draft mistakes, but they all make them, and fortunately ours makes very, very few.  I can't get all over him for drafting a guy at the end of the 1st round when those players are basically a crap shoot.

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2013, 07:06:43 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
It has to be not drafting a player right?

Drafting a player: no Beasleys or Blatches drafted. No impact players drafted but no bad players drafted.

Not trading a player: Ray for Mayo was out of his hands. Also, trading Ray might have meant KG, Pierce retiring.

Signing a player: JG was probably the worst one. But we were so far over the cap it didn't matter I believe. JO sucked but he was meant to be Shaq's backup.

Not signing a player: Tony Allen wanted a bigger role when we had Ray Allen. As for not signing better depth and free agents...we were paying scraps so we could only get scraps.

If we'd gotten players after Giddens or players after Jajuan Johnson, we'd have been in better shape.

We could have had one of Pekovic, Asik, DeAndre Jordan, Douglas Roberts, Dragic and one of Chandler Parsons, Marshon Brookes, Lavoy Allen, Jon Leuer.

But, as others have mentioned, gain some, lose some. We only missed out on a handful of players out of the 30, 40, 50 something viable players left on the board.

He has created one of the, if not the, best locker rooms in the league since 2007. This is not the beginning of the end but the beginning of the beginning. He turned the franchise around.

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2013, 07:41:19 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Too numerous.

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2013, 07:54:31 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
The 2008 off-season in general.  Drafting Giddens, bringing in POB, not finding an adequate replacement for Posey, etc.

Not re-signing Tony was a mistake, especially since our lack of a backup SF caused us to tank our championship hopes by trading Perk.

I'm going with this. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2013, 08:00:15 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
For me it's easily drafting J.R. Giddens over Deandre Jordan, how do you pass on a guy with as high a ceiling as Jordan late in the first round? That's the ideal place to draft a project.

But since everyone keeps saying the same thing, how about when the Celtics traded the 7th pick in the draft (Randy Foye) for Sebastian Telfair. Rudy Gay was selected at pick 8. Brandon Roy was selected at pick 6 for Portland by Minnesota who got Foye.

Of course, DA did trade into the first round to select Rondo in that draft, but did he really know what he was selecting in Rondo? The idea was for Telfair to start after all.

The blessing in disguise in that deal of course was the Celtics acquired Theo Ratliff in the trade who later became the contract needed for the KG deal.

Need a little bit of luck to be good as a GM.

Theo wasn't the blessing in disguise, his contract was the reason for the deal.

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 08:03:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The 2008 off-season in general.  Drafting Giddens, bringing in POB, not finding an adequate replacement for Posey, etc.

Not re-signing Tony was a mistake, especially since our lack of a backup SF caused us to tank our championship hopes by trading Perk.

I'm going with this.

Yeah, I agree with everything Roy said except the one thing about trading Perk ruining the championship hopes.

There were no championship hopes that season without a healthy Shaq.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 08:05:12 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
DA ain't perfect...but his viisions were quite obvious, he reached for Giddens which is very baffling because he thought he would be what Bradley is to us now.

But sure wish DA pulled the trigger on the Ray Allen for Mayo deal, but in the end KG and PP vouched for Ray to stay but its pretty obvious since 2010, the first to go in the Big 3 would be Ray, Its annoying that we didn't get anything back for Ray...I will never have any respect for Judas.

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2013, 08:10:42 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I voted for drafting a player, but I could have easily been swayed to not trading a player. However like many said, trading Ray probably would have lost us KG and Pierce. Also, if we traded Ray for Mayo, I would have been ecstatic if we made the deal but this wouldnt have solved our current big man problem.

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2013, 08:32:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd say it's primarily his FA signings.  basically the over-reliance on older, injury-prone players to fill out the roster.  that and the reliance on vet-min guys to also be rotation-quality players.  this year for example, our backup centers are again vet-mins in Wilcox and Collins.

Other than this latest offseason and the one where he built the title team, the support behind the primary players has been lacking at best.  this year we're pretty deep (when the support players play to their abilities) and now we're seeing the team we expected this year.  If we had a decent bench from '09 through last year, we probably take another title or 2 even with KG's and Perk's injuries in 09 and 10.

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 08:36:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Too many seasons of "not going all in" with KG, Pierce, Ray and Rondo. 

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I think you guys making the Giddens/Jordan case are on point, but everyone is going to miss on most diamonds in the rough and we've had a nice success rate overall. We could equally well fault Ainge for not identifying Jeremy Lin back when he was an unknown everywhere except for Boston, for example.

I think the real mistakes are the ones where you have all the information but you don't act logically on it. Perkins was a case where Ainge made the right choice even though it was brutal. The Jeff Green deal, though, has had bust written all over it from day one. I'm as hopeful as the rest of you to be proven wrong, but so far that looks like a terrible move that defies all reason.

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2013, 10:39:26 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Too many seasons of "not going all in" with KG, Pierce, Ray and Rondo.

1 by my count.

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2013, 10:42:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think you guys making the Giddens/Jordan case are on point, but everyone is going to miss on most diamonds in the rough and we've had a nice success rate overall. We could equally well fault Ainge for not identifying Jeremy Lin back when he was an unknown everywhere except for Boston, for example.

The difference between Jordan and Lin is that Jordan's size, athleticism, and upside was pretty clear to everyone at the time.  The questions were about his basketball IQ and work ethic.  With Lin, there were a lot more unknowns.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes