Poll

What you consider is the biggest mistake D.Ainge made since 2007 ?

Trading a player ( K.Perkins, M,Brooks, G.Davis, etc.)
8 (11.1%)
Not trading a player ( R.Allen, etc.)
18 (25%)
Signing a player ( J.Green, J.O'Neal, etc.)
4 (5.6%)
Not signing a player ( K.Perkins, T.Allen, J.Posey, E.House,M.Daniels, etc.)
17 (23.6%)
Drafting a player ( J.R.Giddens, G.Pruitt, J.Johnson, etc.)
9 (12.5%)
Not drafting a player (M.Gasol, Pekovic, Chalmers, D.Jordan, Asik, Dragic, Parsons)
16 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: What you consider is the biggest mistake D.Ainge made since 2007 ?  (Read 13799 times)

Re: What you consider is the biggest mistake D.Ainge made since 2007 ?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 10:53:08 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
As the NBA trade deadline lurched into its final hour a month ago, league sources say the call Ray Allen long feared had come: Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers was on the line, telling him he had been traded. Allen had been sent to the Memphis Grizzlies for a package including O.J. Mayo and a draft pick, and the Celtics' Big Three had come to a most brusque ending.

For 20 minutes or so, Allen had to process the information. They traded me to Memphis? And yet, as the disappointment dissolved to anger, Rivers returned with a messenger’s nightmare: Never mind. The deal fell apart. Take a deep breath and let’s go back to work again.

Link

DA had pulled the trigger on Ray-Mayo deal. I don't know if the reasons were made public but that deal fell through. You can't blame DA for a failed trade.

Just glad we didn't end up trading the Captain for Okur + lottery pick.

I was under the impression that the reason the trade fell through was because Danny Ainge took the advice of KG and other vets to keep Ray. And that was also one of the reasons KG took it so personally when Allen left.

In this article Mayo alludes to the fact some Celtics had some input there. If that was the case i think it's Dannys biggest mistake because he should never take any input from players. Their reasoning will always be biased. And in this case he rolled the dice and lost.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/12/13/o-j-mayo-wouldve-been-an-honor-to-play-for-celtics/

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 10:56:41 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

drafting, drafting, and more drafting, although he's made some nice drafting moves recently.

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 10:57:36 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I put missing on guys like deandre Jordan for giddens, etc.

It's nitpicking bc DA has a great track record for drafting late. Yet, out of the options I think it's the worst.

By far is the mishandling of the kg injury in 2008-09 if that's how it went down though.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 10:58:47 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Mikki Moore

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 11:08:02 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
As the NBA trade deadline lurched into its final hour a month ago, league sources say the call Ray Allen long feared had come: Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers was on the line, telling him he had been traded. Allen had been sent to the Memphis Grizzlies for a package including O.J. Mayo and a draft pick, and the Celtics' Big Three had come to a most brusque ending.

For 20 minutes or so, Allen had to process the information. They traded me to Memphis? And yet, as the disappointment dissolved to anger, Rivers returned with a messenger’s nightmare: Never mind. The deal fell apart. Take a deep breath and let’s go back to work again.

Link

DA had pulled the trigger on Ray-Mayo deal. I don't know if the reasons were made public but that deal fell through. You can't blame DA for a failed trade.

Just glad we didn't end up trading the Captain for Okur + lottery pick.

I was under the impression that the reason the trade fell through was because Danny Ainge took the advice of KG and other vets to keep Ray. And that was also one of the reasons KG took it so personally when Allen left.

In this article Mayo alludes to the fact some Celtics had some input there. If that was the case i think it's Dannys biggest mistake because he should never take any input from players. Their reasoning will always be biased. And in this case he rolled the dice and lost.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/12/13/o-j-mayo-wouldve-been-an-honor-to-play-for-celtics/

I have to assume there was more to it than KG's + PP's input. I mean, Doc had already informed Ray that he was traded to Memphis. Plus, there were talks of Paul Pierce being traded for Okur's expiring contract and a lottery pick. KG and PP must have had some pretty convincing talking points in Ray's favour if that was the reason the deal fell apart.

DA must have asked for their input before he made the final decision to trade Ray, right? He'd be pretty stupid to make a trade, inform the player and then back out of it because the veteran's on the team were against it.

Perhaps reports that Mayo had actually refused to play for our team were indeed true and he was pandering to Boston's media and fans that night?
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Not drafting a player. Which really means I don't think he's really done a bad job at all.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Danny made the mistake of taking guys in free agency who had a lot of "upside" but who were a bit too injury prone or who were kind of on the old side.  He should have prioritized getting younger and more athletic prior to this off-season.

That really hurt us at times when we were relying on guys like Jermaine O'Neal, Delonte West, and Marquis Daniels.  All valuable when they could play, but they missed a ton of games.  Shaq was old too, but that gamble was worth it, since we were so darned good when he could play.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 12:15:19 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Not trading Ray Allen to get something of value when he had the chance.

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 12:18:03 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
This one's easy for me ... trading Perk.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 12:22:11 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
If Ainge traded Ray who's to say KG doesn't retire at the end of the season? If indeed KG had some input on the whole thing.

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 01:05:26 AM »

Offline DeeMeds

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
For me it's easily drafting J.R. Giddens over Deandre Jordan, how do you pass on a guy with as high a ceiling as Jordan late in the first round? That's the ideal place to draft a project.

But since everyone keeps saying the same thing, how about when the Celtics traded the 7th pick in the draft (Randy Foye) for Sebastian Telfair. Rudy Gay was selected at pick 8. Brandon Roy was selected at pick 6 for Portland by Minnesota who got Foye.

Of course, DA did trade into the first round to select Rondo in that draft, but did he really know what he was selecting in Rondo? The idea was for Telfair to start after all.

The blessing in disguise in that deal of course was the Celtics acquired Theo Ratliff in the trade who later became the contract needed for the KG deal.

Need a little bit of luck to be good as a GM.

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 01:20:35 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I wish we'd had DeAndre Jordan on his rookie contract, but I'm glad we don't have him on his current one.

For me, it's failing to resign Tony Allen on the cheap in 2010.  A unit of Rondo, Bradley, TA, Pierce, and KG would be absolutely smothering against nearly any small-ball lineup in the league.  And TA would give us another defender to throw at the superstar wings out there.  He's a piece we've missed.

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2013, 01:33:49 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
has to be draft picks or not getting an adequate backup for pierce when posey/ta left
i'm fine with not resigning perk or posey for too much money (look at how they did after those contracts)
tony still has the brain farts to this day but has improved, took some time and he could still be at the celtic level (which was good)

danny, doc, kg and pp have extended a 3 year window pretty well, if not for injuries we could have more championships, shaq's 50 year old body would have held up we were easily the best team in nba

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2013, 02:26:29 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Kg was gonna play for as long as he could play at a high level. A personal decision on his ability to perform. Not because of some other player.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 02:42:46 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Danny Ainge's over-reliance on aging and/or injury prone players to balance out the Big 4 has been an issue, especially in the 2010 off season.

Letting Tony Allen go and relying on Marquis Daniels to fill the role as the first swingman off the bench was the biggest mistake. After Daniels got injured, the only SF on the roster that could backup Pierce was Von Wafer, which of course led to Danny trading Perkins for Green. Once again, DA put all of his faith into two old, injured players. The fact that he made that move based off the assumption that Shaq and/or JO would be healthy for the playoffs was short-sighted at best.