Poll

What you consider is the biggest mistake D.Ainge made since 2007 ?

Trading a player ( K.Perkins, M,Brooks, G.Davis, etc.)
8 (11.1%)
Not trading a player ( R.Allen, etc.)
18 (25%)
Signing a player ( J.Green, J.O'Neal, etc.)
4 (5.6%)
Not signing a player ( K.Perkins, T.Allen, J.Posey, E.House,M.Daniels, etc.)
17 (23.6%)
Drafting a player ( J.R.Giddens, G.Pruitt, J.Johnson, etc.)
9 (12.5%)
Not drafting a player (M.Gasol, Pekovic, Chalmers, D.Jordan, Asik, Dragic, Parsons)
16 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: What you consider is the biggest mistake D.Ainge made since 2007 ?  (Read 13743 times)

Re: What you consider is the biggest mistake D.Ainge made since 2007 ?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 09:14:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Can I make a request that you change the last selection so it isn't all one word? That way we can actually see the bars.

(I don't actually know if you can edit poll selections though)

Under your member menu in the upper-right, select "wide" to view the results for now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
I agree with the sentiment that Danny didn't do enough to help the team in the offseason following the championship.  The rest of the league got better while we actually got a little worse. 

Regarding specific moves, I generally don't like making judgments of a GM's moves in hindsight, but drafting JR Giddens in the 2008 draft has to be considered a mistake.  If you look back at that draft, it was extremely deep with many very good players.  Giddens was one of only five or six "busts" in that first round.  There were also several very good players who dropped into the second round, including DeAndre, Asik, Pekovic, Chalmers, Mbah a Moute and Dragic. 

Even then, you can see what Ainge liked.  Giddens was a guard with good size and elite athleticism.  He flashed an ability to do a lot of things well, but unfortunately could never do them consistently. 

He could have been a SG/SF version of Bradley, but unfortunately he never adapted to the NBA well enough.  Looked like he never shook the nerves of playing on the biggest stage.  Possibly wasn't smart enough to pick up the system either, though that's admittedly a guess on my part.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 09:24:22 PM »

Kiorrik

The 2008 off-season in general.  Drafting Giddens, bringing in POB, not finding an adequate replacement for Posey, etc.

Not re-signing Tony was a mistake, especially since our lack of a backup SF caused us to tank our championship hopes by trading Perk.
Just imagine Bradley & Tony on the court at once...

Makes me weep.

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Can I make a request that you change the last selection so it isn't all one word? That way we can actually see the bars.

(I don't actually know if you can edit poll selections though)

Under your member menu in the upper-right, select "wide" to view the results for now.

Thanks

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I would have liked the C's to have Kept Perk till the seasons end. , and then let him walk.

It was a blown chance at a Championship IMO....

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 09:45:02 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I would have liked the C's to have Kept Perk till the seasons end. , and then let him walk.

And miss out on Jeff Green and *gulp* Nenad Krstic?!?! Blasphemy! ;)
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Not trading Ray for Mayo when he had the chance.

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 09:57:47 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

That deal fell apart. I don't think DA is at fault there. He was ready to move Allen.

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Perks knee was still bat Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. then.

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177

This.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 10:09:36 PM »

Offline BadNewsBarnes

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 41
Tough choice between letting TA walk and not dealing Ray for Mayo.  But I'll go with letting TA leave.

I don't think we know all the details on that proposed trade of Ray for Mayo.  There were rumors floating around that KG & Pierce campaigned for them to keep Ray and not make the deal.  Which is why they may feel Ray stabbed them in the back.

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!
I don't think many will dispute that Giddens pick. He wasn't even a good college player and it was a definite reach from Ainge.

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Trading Perkins.  I don't buy that the Cs couldn't have gotten value for him in a S and T if he was going elsewhere in the summer.  The starting unit had perfect synergy and would have been a tough playoff out, even with Perk coming off his knee surgery. 

The move balanced up OKC's starting lineup and roster, which has propelled them to the very top of the league, and put a hole in the Cs roster that they still haven't filled.

I'm not going to cherry pick second round picks and say "Ainge should have drafted so and so."  It's fishing in a barrel.  Ainge's second round history has been way better than average, as has his mid and late first round picks.   

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 10:18:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Perhaps the biggest mistake of the era -- and this isn't solely on Ainge -- was not getting KG's bone spurs / tendon issue taken care of when it first came up in the pre-season.  The team + KG decided to try to let it heal on its own, and it never did.
Yeah, though I put that on KG in the end.

The team was begging him to get surgery sooner (Jackie Mac's article I think? Maybe another writer went through it), but he wanted to wait till the playoffs and try to play. A few months would have helped him be just that bit stronger for 09-10.

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 10:27:49 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
As the NBA trade deadline lurched into its final hour a month ago, league sources say the call Ray Allen long feared had come: Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers was on the line, telling him he had been traded. Allen had been sent to the Memphis Grizzlies for a package including O.J. Mayo and a draft pick, and the Celtics' Big Three had come to a most brusque ending.

For 20 minutes or so, Allen had to process the information. They traded me to Memphis? And yet, as the disappointment dissolved to anger, Rivers returned with a messenger’s nightmare: Never mind. The deal fell apart. Take a deep breath and let’s go back to work again.

Link

DA had pulled the trigger on Ray-Mayo deal. I don't know if the reasons were made public but that deal fell through. You can't blame DA for a failed trade.

Just glad we didn't end up trading the Captain for Okur + lottery pick.