Author Topic: Doc vs Austin on wednesday  (Read 6220 times)

Re: Doc vs Austin on wednesday
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 10:24:46 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
With Gordon back I wouldn't expect to see much of him unless it's a blowout.

Eric Gordan isn't exactly scorching the nets, shooting 35/15%. Austin Rivers has been off too, at 33% from the field but he's hitting the threeball at an acceptable 33%.

Rivers is going to have a very good NBA career.  He's got all the tools.  Staying in school would have done nothing for him by delay his earning money by a year.  He's banking $2.3 million this year and getting way more practice hours in the league.  He's also played almost as many minutes this year than he played at Duke the entire season last year.   

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 10:59:43 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Family bragging rights on the line. Keep the streak alive Doc!

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 11:18:09 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
With Gordon back I wouldn't expect to see much of him unless it's a blowout.

Eric Gordan isn't exactly scorching the nets, shooting 35/15%. Austin Rivers has been off too, at 33% from the field but he's hitting the threeball at an acceptable 33%.

Rivers is going to have a very good NBA career.  He's got all the tools.  Staying in school would have done nothing for him by delay his earning money by a year.  He's banking $2.3 million this year and getting way more practice hours in the league.  He's also played almost as many minutes this year than he played at Duke the entire season last year.   

Noted...... I withdraw my previous statement..... TP for you good sir

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 02:32:33 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
He has the ability to make it in the NBA. I really thought he should have stayed one more year in college. I think he would have learnt more, and got a better build for the the big time. He has definatly struggled with his shot this year thats for sure.
why 1 more year in college? hes playing in the NBA and he's not even bad enough to warrant the d-league, and d-league is a league above college

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 03:45:54 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
He has the ability to make it in the NBA. I really thought he should have stayed one more year in college. I think he would have learnt more, and got a better build for the the big time. He has definatly struggled with his shot this year thats for sure.
why 1 more year in college? hes playing in the NBA and he's not even bad enough to warrant the d-league, and d-league is a league above college

I love Austin but he has had a horrible horrible season. They need to send him to the d-league to get some confidence back against inferior opponents. Right now his numbers are downright offensive to look at.

Modeling his game off kobe was probably a bad idea. Noone makes Kobe style play look good except Kobe himself.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 05:03:04 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
game we've all been waiting for  ;D
Last two games he's been cut from the rotation.

He hasn't been cut from the rotation.  He's still been given chances as the first or second perimeter sub off the bench but has struggled and then been benched for the rest of the games.  He was really awful in his five minutes against the Knicks and never saw the floor again afterward.  I think he'll be given another similar opportunity on  Wednesday and if he plays the same, that'll be all he gets again. 

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 06:27:23 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Doc to Austin:

"I have two guards that can defend"

Make that 3.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 11:59:44 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I've been rooting for Austin but it's been painful to watch.  I can't imagine how Doc feels watching Austin struggle so much out there. 

Austin's not struggling because they're trying to make him a point or anything.  He hasn't played point since Summer League.  He has a lot of weaknesses, some that he can fix and some that he can't.  One that he can't fix is his athleticism.  He's not fast, quick or explosive.  Something that's oddly missing from his game for a guy with his pedigree is a transition game.  He has no ability to go coast to coast and threaten a defense with his speed.  He didn't in the high school games I watched either.  Also, he has no left hand, no mid-range game and a clumsy spin move.  He was a very flashy player in high school but he's a very boring professional to watch. 

One thing I like about him is that he's coachable.  He tries to fit in out there and for a guy who was a gunner of the highest order in high school and early on in college, he's almost too passive and unselfish out there.  Sometimes it looks like he's afraid of failing and getting pulled.  One game against Indiana, the Hornets had taken a lead in the fourth and Austin had played for most of it.  He then took and missed a mid-range jumper from 18 feet at the top of the key and was promptly yanked and sat for the last I think 4 minutes of the game.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
If Austin Rivers doesn't play by far his best game of his pro career then this is much ado about nothing..just keep the streak alive 8)

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I've been rooting for Austin but it's been painful to watch.  I can't imagine how Doc feels watching Austin struggle so much out there. 

Austin's not struggling because they're trying to make him a point or anything.  He hasn't played point since Summer League.  He has a lot of weaknesses, some that he can fix and some that he can't.  One that he can't fix is his athleticism.  He's not fast, quick or explosive.  Something that's oddly missing from his game for a guy with his pedigree is a transition game.  He has no ability to go coast to coast and threaten a defense with his speed.  He didn't in the high school games I watched either.  Also, he has no left hand, no mid-range game and a clumsy spin move.  He was a very flashy player in high school but he's a very boring professional to watch. 

Agreed. When I watch him, I think Brandon Roy, but without the shiftiness and smarts.

Not a good skill set.

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 01:29:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think the coaching in college would help him a lot more than playing in the d league.

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
No use playing the what-if game. He's in the NBA now. Sooner or later, we'll find out if he can thrive or simply survive.
I moved the cheese.