Author Topic: Bobcats trade (idea)  (Read 5229 times)

Bobcats trade (idea)
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:33 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
It has been reported that their scouts are advising the Bobcats to trade away their first round pick this year. This is due to the lack of impact players in the lottery.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225570/Scouts_Advice_Bobcats_To_Trade_2013_Draft_Pick

Now in the last draft it was reported that the bobcats where shopping the #2 pick to get rid of Tyrus Thomas

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1237861-nba-trade-rumors-bobcats-would-reportedly-move-no-2-pick-with-tyrus-thomas

My proposal would be the following

Bass + Cs 1st (unprotected)

for

Tyrus + Bobcats 1st (unprotected)

Bobcats,

They get rid of Thomas's deal and take on a similar but slightly cheaper deal in Bass's. In Bass they get a player who can step right in and start for them ahead of Hakim Warrick. His jump shooting seems like a nice fit next to MKG and Biyombo. At 27 he should be at his prime for the life of his contract and able to be a 12pt 6rb starting PF in their system (more then thomas has been for them). The addition of the picks will likely give them a just out of the lottery pick rather than a top 5 but this is viewed as a middle strong draft.

Celtics,

They take on a reclamation project in Thomas. However he has the exact skill set we need in a 3rd big, long athletic, and can block shots. He is still only 26 and maybe able to redefine his career with the Celtics. Rondo, AB, Green, and Thomas running the open court could be amazing. With that being said Thomas is overpaid for the production he has been giving the bobcats. With him getting a DNP coach's decision last night I would say he is no longer part of their plans. The swapping of 1sts should bring the celtics into the top 5. Based on draft expresses current mock http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/ I could see the Cs looking for Noel, Len, Austin or Gobert (Gobert would be a long shot high bust potential).
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Bobcats trade (idea)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:09:28 PM »

Offline drax

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
I'd do this trade in a heartbeat. Even if this draft is considered weak, a high lotto pick (possible top 3 pick) is hard to turn down.

Although i think we have to throw in Fab Melo to match the salary burden and give them a prospect.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
What benefits do the Bobcats get for this deal? If the Bobcats are trading away their number one they are going to get a much better return than Bass and a late first.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:40:02 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If Bass was expiring, maybe...

But I could see Charlotte doing better then this offer. This seems like the kind of deal Cleveland would jump at based on recent history (Baron Davis and Luke Walton deals.)

Walton's expiring deal and a protected first
for
Thomas and an unprotected first

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=84k3cxf

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
What benefits do the Bobcats get for this deal? If the Bobcats are trading away their number one they are going to get a much better return than Bass and a late first.

I agree they may get a better return for a lottery pick, however the Cs pick will be a mid first. The kicker is how many teams will want to take on Thomas?

I think the bobcats are going to want to start turning things around a bit and put some wins on the board. Bass is a definite upgrade over their current starting PF (Hakim Warick) I honestly think Bass would be at least a 12pt 6rb a game guy for the bobcats, well worth his contract. When Mullens comes back Byombo, Mullens and Bass is a decent big man rotation.

The bobcats can also afford to lose a draft pick with Detroit sending them a 1st in the Ben Gordan deal. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I agree they may get a better return for a lottery pick, however the Cs pick will be a mid first. The kicker is how many teams will want to take on Thomas?

I think the bobcats are going to want to start turning things around a bit and put some wins on the board. Bass is a definite upgrade over their current starting PF (Hakim Warick) I honestly think Bass would be at least a 12pt 6rb a game guy for the bobcats, well worth his contract. When Mullens comes back Byombo, Mullens and Bass is a decent big man rotation.

The bobcats can also afford to lose a draft pick with Detroit sending them a 1st in the Ben Gordan deal.
Bass is the more productive player in the deal but he's not going to bring in a top-5 pick even in a weak draft.  IF (and it's a big IF) this were to happen, I'd expect Charlotte to offer the C's the worse of their pick or Detroit's---even a dumb GM would come up with that stipulation.  I think the C's, now that they seem to have their act together, could wind up with their own pick in the low 20's and that Detroit pick somewhere very late in the lottery.  just not enough incentive to take on Thomas' deal and underperformance (and cause locker room disruption)

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:45:18 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Quote from: CFAN38 on Today at 02:00:38 PM

Bass is the more productive player in the deal but he's not going to bring in a top-5 pick even in a weak draft.  IF (and it's a big IF) this were to happen, I'd expect Charlotte to offer the C's the worse of their pick or Detroit's---even a dumb GM would come up with that stipulation.  I think the C's, now that they seem to have their act together, could wind up with their own pick in the low 20's and that Detroit pick somewhere very late in the lottery.  just not enough incentive to take on Thomas' deal and underperformance (and cause locker room disruption)

I agree but I believe Detroit's pick is lottery protected this year.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
That deal would be amazing, which means it'd never happen lol

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I would deal Thomas for Bass straight up.  I don't see why Charlotte would have to throw in a lotto pick: Thomas isn't that bad.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 04:28:17 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
if thomas can stay healthy
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
That deal would be amazing, which means it'd never happen lol

Seriously - I have no idea why Charlotte would do this. I question Bass' deal already. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to take on somebody that we would love to trade and give us a high lottery pick. The discussion may begin with the Detroit pick, but even then they would have to REALLY like Bass.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 05:06:48 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Seriously - I have no idea why Charlotte would do this. I question Bass' deal already. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to take on somebody that we would love to trade and give us a high lottery pick. The discussion may begin with the Detroit pick, but even then they would have to REALLY like Bass.

This trade only came to my mind when I read that their scouts want to get out of this draft. That to me shows that they place little value on a high pick. I guess the way to look at the trade is like this.

A. How much better is Bass than Thomas?

B. How much better is Bass's contract than thomas's?

c. In a lottery weak draft how much more value is there at 5 rather than 20?

If A+B > C than the bobcats think about it. If A+B < C than they hang up the phone.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 05:45:56 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Because, first of all, getting rid of TT is addition by subtraction.  Secondly, this would save MJ and the Cats 1.94 million over the length of the contract.  Third, Bass is a solid, but still young, professional and role model for the young Cats.  Fourth, do they really need another draft pick that will give them even more youth and inexperience?  NO!!

Smitty77

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

To get rid of Thomas, who they hate -- like all teams he plays for -- and never should have signed.

Hard to see Charlotte doing it, which is fine. Thomas is one of the few guys i think you really do want to avoid in the NBA. He and Rondo could be pretty combustible.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 06:19:03 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Because, first of all, getting rid of TT is addition by subtraction.  Secondly, this would save MJ and the Cats 1.94 million over the length of the contract.  Third, Bass is a solid, but still young, professional and role model for the young Cats.  Fourth, do they really need another draft pick that will give them even more youth and inexperience?  NO!!

Smitty77

Actually it would save Charlotte about 5.75mil over the life of their respective deals (which are the same length).
Mike

(My name is not Mike)