Author Topic: Trade target: Robin Lopez  (Read 7760 times)

Trade target: Robin Lopez
« on: January 14, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
New Orleans isn't going anywhere soon so I think an easy trade target would be robin Lopez. Lopez makes almost 5 mil.

Lopez and rivers for lee and melo

Or Lopez for bass

Thoughts?
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

Re: Trade target: Robin Lopez
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 10:56:57 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wanted Robin from the beginning.

I was one of a few (maybe just by myself) who suggested that we should offer Robin the full MLE last summer.

I don't know if we have anything that NawLeans would like in exchange for Robin.

I'd rather keep Lee though. I understand Austin is family, but Lee's defense is more valuable.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:26:38 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd love Lopez here.  Even though he's New Orleans' third big man, though, I think they'd want more than Bass or Lee.  Lopez has been productive, and they have him on a very favorable contract (two seasons left at about $5.2 million per season, non-guaranteed.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
At this point, I am not sure I would give up Lee for a guy like Lopez.  I think Lopez is a bit overrated by some on this board, and Lee has become a critical piece of the C's defensive system.

That's not to say Lee is untouchable, I just would only trade him in a package for a guy who is more of a lock to be part of the C's regular rotation, and I am not sure Lopez is. 

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd love Lopez here.  Even though he's New Orleans' third big man, though, I think they'd want more than Bass or Lee.  Lopez has been productive, and they have him on a very favorable contract (two seasons left at about $5.2 million per season, non-guaranteed.)
Yeah they'd want a pick or some asset for him.

He'd be someone to kick the tires on to see if they'd have any interest in moving him. I can see them holding on to him honestly. He won't fetch a ton of value and he's necessary as Anderson/Davis aren't bangers.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 11:06:03 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
We could sell New Orleans on the potential of fab melo. A lot of people have said Austin rivers has been having a tough year and maybe he would turn it around under doc his dad. Lee is an upgrade for them over rivers and fab melo "could" be good next to Anthony Davis in the future. Robin Lopez is pretty serviceable and gets rebounds which we need.

Lee and melo for Lopez and rivers
Pick 2 Heat: 

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
At this point, I am not sure I would give up Lee for a guy like Lopez.  I think Lopez is a bit overrated by some on this board, and Lee has become a critical piece of the C's defensive system.

That's not to say Lee is untouchable, I just would only trade him in a package for a guy who is more of a lock to be part of the C's regular rotation, and I am not sure Lopez is.

I like Lopez.  He passes the eye test, and he's certainly been productive this year.  He's putting up 12 / 6 in 26 minutes (16 / 8 per 36 minutes), and he's shooting 55%.  He's been a good defender, and he's blocking nearly 2 shots per game. 

I like what Courtney Lee has provided lately, too, but I think we need size more than we do a shooting guard.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Really like Robin, but don't like the trade. Bass and a pick for him I'd, if needed add Melo. But not trading Lee for him. Have little interest in Rivers, and I don't think NO just gives up on him.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Does Robin Lopez really add enough value as a backup center to make it worthwhile to part with Courtney Lee?

I haven't watched the Hornets this season but they are what, 28th in defensive efficiency? Is Robin Lopez really capable of anchoring a defense the way the C's need him to do? Is his interior defense really more valuable than the added perimeter defense Courtney Lee provides against Miami and D-Wade?

Like I said, I haven't watched the Hornets. So I don't know. But it looks pretty dubious to me.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I wouldn't want to give up Lee either. He and AB are doing so well with the ball pressure.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 11:20:30 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'd love to get Rob Lo for Brandon Bass. I don't think i'd give up Courtney Lee for him though. Past 6 games Courtney has found his role and is shooting 59% from the field and 57% from deep.

Bass is from Louisiana, he was drafted by New Orleans in '05 and played there for the first two seasons of his career. He can bring his knowledge earned from playing on a winning Playoff team back to New Orleans and become a veteran leader to play behind/next to Anthony Davis.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 11:21:07 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont want to give up Lee. The only expendable in my eyes that I put in a trade is Bass. And I highly doubt Bass and a first rounder would net us Lopez. If NO accepted I would be hesitant and not sure I would like it but I think I would still do it.

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I like Lopez.  He passes the eye test, and he's certainly been productive this year.  He's putting up 12 / 6 in 26 minutes (16 / 8 per 36 minutes), and he's shooting 55%.  He's been a good defender, and he's blocking nearly 2 shots per game. 

I like what Courtney Lee has provided lately, too, but I think we need size more than we do a shooting guard.

I might need to watch him a bit more, because what I have seen has been pretty mediocre.

And I while I agree that we need size more than a SG, I also think what Lee brings has been almost as important to the latest run of this team, than Bradley, who sparked things. 

I just think having that second (or third if you include Rondo) aggressive perimeter defender makes a HUGE difference for this team. 

I also think Wilcox can help fill some of the void up front, and if the guys on the perimeter are defending like they have recently, then I think he will be easier to hide defensively, and he can be a real plus offensively. 

Mostly though, I just feel like Lee for Lopez would be kind of a no-mans land trade.  You are taking away a strength of the team, but only marginally improving a weakness. 

I just would rather they either cheap out a bit, and try to use the guys who aren't such a key to their defense (Terry, Bass, are the obvious candidates) along with a draft pick or something, to try to get a lesser depth player as Wilcox insurance or a slight upgrade on him.  Or, just go for it.  Go for a real impact player, and give up what you need to give up.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 11:32:56 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Career rebounding percentages:
Bass: Offensive 8.3, Defensive 16.5, Total 12.5
Lopez: Offensive 11.0, Defensive 14.8, Total 12.9
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 11:43:38 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
The only reason I'm suggesting trading lee is to get rivers in the deal too with Lopez. Otherwise I'd just do bass and a pick for Lopez
Pick 2 Heat: