Author Topic: Trade target: Robin Lopez  (Read 7765 times)

Re: Trade target: Robin Lopez
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have always had high hopes for R. Lopez. I know he isn't projected to get 'much' better, but I figured that since he was Brook's brother, he had that potential - kind of like what happened with the Gasol brothers.

I don't think New Orleans would have much interest in Bass, but Bass might have value to another team. A three-way deal may be our best bet. Bass and Lopez probably have fairly similar value. It just depends on what a team is looking for.

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
At this point, I am not sure I would give up Lee for a guy like Lopez.  I think Lopez is a bit overrated by some on this board, and Lee has become a critical piece of the C's defensive system.

That's not to say Lee is untouchable, I just would only trade him in a package for a guy who is more of a lock to be part of the C's regular rotation, and I am not sure Lopez is.

I'm also hesitant to give up Lee. I'd rather give up Terry, and his veteran presence might be a nice fit on the Hornets.

Bass and Melo for Lopez makes some sense as well.
I wouldn't move Melo in a deal for Lopez.  Bass is about it.  I think of it as a better offensive player for a taller player.  Lopez is ok to have but I don't see him putting us over the top fora title and not worth the C's giving up their future center project who could very well turn out to be better than Lopez in a couple of years (and have a career long after Lopez is out of the NBA)

Robin Lopez is only two years older than Melo, and has already proven himself to be a decent NBA player.  It's pretty unlikely that Melo ever becomes as good as Lopez is now, and I'm doubtful that Melo's career will last any longer than Lopez's.

Yeah, I have no problem giving up Melo for a guy like Lopez.  Melo is still a longshot to ever be as good as Lopez is now, and Lopez still has some potential.

My problem is trading a key piece of the current team for a guy like Lopez, who might not even help the team as much as Lee does right now.  But if we are talking about a relatively marginal prospect like Melo, who won't help the team at all this year, then its game on.

I would not trade Lee for Lopez, either. As for Bass or Terry, I'd be more inclined / tempted.

I also very much like Aminu. I wonder whether the Hornets intend to pay him this summer -- really like his rebounding and defensive potential. I'd love to see him in green on a reasonable contract for years to come, but hoping for he and Lopez in a trade built around the likes of Jason Terry and Fab Melo is probably a stretch, especially considering it'd leave them with no small forward.

Jeff Green for Lopez and Aminu works, but I have a hard time seeing Danny moving Green so quickly.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 05:46:38 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Taking an idea from another thread -

Wonder if Houston would give up a heavily protected first for Bass, and we could send that to New Orleans

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 05:49:54 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Do you know how horrible that guy is? I live in Phoenix & theres a reason why he's no longer around. K.G. will choke Ainge for bringing him in, with no ill will i'll pass on that (stiff)guy!

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 05:51:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
At this point, I am not sure I would give up Lee for a guy like Lopez.  I think Lopez is a bit overrated by some on this board, and Lee has become a critical piece of the C's defensive system.

That's not to say Lee is untouchable, I just would only trade him in a package for a guy who is more of a lock to be part of the C's regular rotation, and I am not sure Lopez is.

I'm also hesitant to give up Lee. I'd rather give up Terry, and his veteran presence might be a nice fit on the Hornets.

Bass and Melo for Lopez makes some sense as well.
I wouldn't move Melo in a deal for Lopez.  Bass is about it.  I think of it as a better offensive player for a taller player.  Lopez is ok to have but I don't see him putting us over the top fora title and not worth the C's giving up their future center project who could very well turn out to be better than Lopez in a couple of years (and have a career long after Lopez is out of the NBA)

Robin Lopez is only two years older than Melo, and has already proven himself to be a decent NBA player.  It's pretty unlikely that Melo ever becomes as good as Lopez is now, and I'm doubtful that Melo's career will last any longer than Lopez's.
See,  don't think Lopez is all that decent.  I haven't seen him do anything more than mediocre play at best.  I wasn't too thrilled with the Melo pick but I'm starting to come around on him possibly becoming a pretty good defensive center that isn't a complete wast of space on offense.  I know, high aspirations but I just don't see Lopez as much of a player.

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Wonder if Houston would give up a heavily protected first for Bass, and we could send that to New Orleans

Doubtful.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 06:22:03 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
The C's need someone who can play center for the 20 minutes that KG sits and maintain a defensive presence while doing so. Lopez could do that, I think. Could Jason Smith? In two months, could Fab Melo?

If the C's traded Bass they would still need someone to play PF for the 10 minutes a night that Green or Sullinger aren't in the game. You know Sully will foul out after 30 and Green should be playing mostly at SF, not PF. Could you depend on Wilcox to cover that 8 to 10 minutes...and not go down with another injury? Hum, could the C's let KG play that extra 8 to 10 minutes at PF and up Lopez's minutes? Yeah, that would work.

If the C's traded Lee, who maintains the defensive pressure that he brings as Bradley's backup? Not Terry, that's for sure! I think Lee needs to stay unless a better SG is coming in on a trade.

Yeah, I like Robin Lopez and a small salary for Bass and a 1st.  OTOH, I don't think NO would do it.

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 06:26:54 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Do you know how horrible that guy is? I live in Phoenix & theres a reason why he's no longer around. K.G. will choke Ainge for bringing him in, with no ill will i'll pass on that (stiff)guy!

I've been trying to tell them this about robin lopez for quite a while now.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:29 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I've been trying to tell them this about robin lopez for quite a while now.

He's no Darko Milicic. Zing!

Wait wait..... He's no Chris Wilcox (crowd cackles). Pow!

Ok wait for it ... one more.... He's no Jason Collins (crowd laughs hysterically). Badda Bing!
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2013, 07:44:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
See,  don't think Lopez is all that decent.  I haven't seen him do anything more than mediocre play at best.  I wasn't too thrilled with the Melo pick but I'm starting to come around on him possibly becoming a pretty good defensive center that isn't a complete wast of space on offense.  I know, high aspirations but I just don't see Lopez as much of a player.

He's scoring at a good rate, and doing it efficiently.  His defense has been solid, as has his rebounding.  12 points, 6 boards, 2 blocks and 55% shooting in 26 minutes is definitely "decent", in my mind.  It's certainly above average for a team's 3rd big man.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2013, 09:02:13 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
I wanted Robin from the beginning.

I was one of a few (maybe just by myself) who suggested that we should offer Robin the full MLE last summer.

I don't know if we have anything that NawLeans would like in exchange for Robin.

I'd rather keep Lee though. I understand Austin is family, but Lee's defense is more valuable.

N'awlins
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
The only reason I'm suggesting trading lee is to get rivers in the deal too with Lopez. Otherwise I'd just do bass and a pick for Lopez

why do we want rivers? I think that spells big trouble in the locker room not to mention favoritism. no thanks.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2013, 09:17:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

He's scoring at a good rate, and doing it efficiently.  His defense has been solid, as has his rebounding.  12 points, 6 boards, 2 blocks and 55% shooting in 26 minutes is definitely "decent", in my mind.  It's certainly above average for a team's 3rd big man.
He's certainly better than Milicic, Wilcox, or Collins - and it's not even close.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."