Author Topic: What this Laker season says about Kobe Bryant  (Read 20906 times)

What this Laker season says about Kobe Bryant
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:13:30 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
This whole Laker debacle is proof of one thing: Kobe is overrated

Not saying he's a horrible player, one of the best that ever played. But overrated that he should not be one of the top 15 players of all time

His leadership has really coime into question. This season it seems he can't even lead his team to the bathroom. With Pau and Dwight not playing, he looks so lost in not rallying the troops. Doesn't know how to direct and will his team to victory. Not an elite defender, not an elite passer, not an elite rebounder. So whats left? Only his scoring

No one can take away Kobe's scoring ability. Maybe top 5 all time in that aspect. But I think people are so blindsighted by his highlights and scoring prowess, that they excuse the obvious holes in his game. When his team is in dire need of direction, what does Kobe do? Keep shooting and trying to make ultra-tough shots, like its 1 against 5. IMO how this season plays out would define Kobe's legacy

Re: What this Laker season says about Kobe Bryant
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 01:21:55 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
In my opinion Kobe never was a leader.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 02:00:06 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
This whole Laker debacle is proof of one thing: Kobe is overrated

Not saying he's a horrible player, one of the best that ever played. But overrated that he should not be one of the top 15 players of all time

His leadership has really coime into question. This season it seems he can't even lead his team to the bathroom. With Pau and Dwight not playing, he looks so lost in not rallying the troops. Doesn't know how to direct and will his team to victory. Not an elite defender, not an elite passer, not an elite rebounder. So whats left? Only his scoring

No one can take away Kobe's scoring ability. Maybe top 5 all time in that aspect. But I think people are so blindsighted by his highlights and scoring prowess, that they excuse the obvious holes in his game. When his team is in dire need of direction, what does Kobe do? Keep shooting and trying to make ultra-tough shots, like its 1 against 5. IMO how this season plays out would define Kobe's legacy

there is no question about it. He IS top 5 all time scoring....

When you look at some of the people they have playing atm id be doing the same thing. As much as i dislike the lakers franchise ( i have to being a celtic fan) in this season especially i think iv come to appreciate kobe as a player alot more then previous years. He wont be around much longer. Appreciate whats there. Doesnt come around often

Plus there is other forms of leadership. I can guarantee you that Kobe is the hardest worker on that team right now.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 02:19:48 AM »

Offline celtsfan619

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree. The one who is overrated on that team is without a doubt Dwight. He's ridiculously overrated. All dwight does is take a running hook which never goes in with the occasional face up bank shot from a terrible angle from about 12-15 feet out. Not to mention he goes up soft every time he attacks the basket then doesn't make his free throws, that is why i don't buy the shaq comparison because shaq even when they hack the crap out of him he went up and dunked it. You can't blame Kobe for Dwight's lack of focus and desire or pau's inability to grow a pair. Don't get me wrong i hate the lakers as much as any die hard Celts fan does, however I RESPECT Kobe and his game because there is no denying he is more talented than any player playing right now

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 02:47:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That team is turrible without 2 of the 3 of Dwight, Pau, or Nash. Kobe hasn't had a string of those 3 all season. Of all the poop smeared on all the names here, Kobe's wil be the cleanest.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:41:17 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
This season screams that Kobe is a top notch ballhog. hard to deal with and is a coach and chemistry killer.

i don't know if any player wants to play with him. Very difficult to deal with and is a diva.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 04:58:49 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree. The one who is overrated on that team is without a doubt Dwight. He's ridiculously overrated. All dwight does is take a running hook which never goes in with the occasional face up bank shot from a terrible angle from about 12-15 feet out. Not to mention he goes up soft every time he attacks the basket then doesn't make his free throws, that is why i don't buy the shaq comparison because shaq even when they hack the crap out of him he went up and dunked it. You can't blame Kobe for Dwight's lack of focus and desire or pau's inability to grow a pair. Don't get me wrong i hate the lakers as much as any die hard Celts fan does, however I RESPECT Kobe and his game because there is no denying he is more talented than any player playing right now

Agreed. Gasol seemed to be unmotivated even when on the court, and Howard is highly overrated.
That only leaves Nash as Kobe's supporting cast, who has missed most of the games so far.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:14:11 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
This thread is a little unbelievable.  The only thing this season has solidified is that Kobe Bryant is one of the top 5 greatest players of all time.  I hate admitting that, but this season takes the cake for me. 

No guard has averaged 15ppg in his 17th season in the history of the NBA.  Kobe is averaging 30ppg.  47/35/84 are his percentages.  He's playing 40 min a game at his age and averaging 5 rebounds and 5 assists.  He's pretty awful at defending the young athletic guys, but he's also getting 1.5 steals a game. 

The Lakers are a poorly built team.  They have no legit 3 point threat (around 40%) outside of Steve Nash.  They have no legit athleticism outside of Howard.  They are old and thus constantly injured.  Celtics fans should be able to relate to that.  They have players in their bench that wouldn't be drafted in the second round of the d-league.  They had a couple of coaches that weren't good enough for Lebron and Carmelo, and they certainly are not able to handle Kobe and Howard. 

Kobe, by the way, despite his knees and the fact that he played and won a gold medal in the off season hasn't missed a game. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 06:34:19 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I thought Jeff Van Gundy described Kobe's defense nowadays very well in a recent broadcast.

JVG said that Kobe is still a very effective man-to-man defender when asked to guard a main scoring threat on the opposing team but that Kobe has been lazy on team defense when guarding lesser players.

That Kobe is taking too many risks playing passing lanes trying to create turnovers. Getting himself out of position to recover back to his back to his man. That Kobe is leaving spot up shooters open too often. That his transition defense has been awful and neglectful. A lack of effort (transition defense). A lack of focus on team defense in the halfcourt.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:19:59 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
yeah and when Michael Jordan was on the wizards it was proof he was overrated ::)

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 07:25:01 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Kobe's been playing indifferent defense for a long while.  The most annoying thing had been seeing the shooters he left wide open clank shot after shot from three.  They're finally making them this year for whatever reason.  I wished it could've happened sooner but it's just nice that it's happening.

I've always thought Kobe's main strength was defending point guards.  It's not just Rondo, he really does an excellent guard against any point he's put upon.  He's not so good anymore against the other positions.  I thought last year he was a very weak individual defender and of course he made first team all-nba defense which is Jeterian as can get. 

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 07:43:37 AM »

Offline henr1k

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
Offensively he is having a GOAT season considering his age. But basketball is a two-way game, and his defense has been turrible. (Charles Barkley voice)

This article pretty much sums it up. http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013/1/11/3864814/kobe-bryant-is-ruining-kobe-bryants-historic-season

Luckily for him, casual fans and even some of the so called experts are only looking at his stats and give him a pass for his lack of effort on defense.

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 08:31:19 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
This thread is a little unbelievable.  The only thing this season has solidified is that Kobe Bryant is one of the top 5 greatest players of all time.  I hate admitting that, but this season takes the cake for me. 

No guard has averaged 15ppg in his 17th season in the history of the NBA.  Kobe is averaging 30ppg.  47/35/84 are his percentages.  He's playing 40 min a game at his age and averaging 5 rebounds and 5 assists.  He's pretty awful at defending the young athletic guys, but he's also getting 1.5 steals a game. 

The Lakers are a poorly built team.  They have no legit 3 point threat (around 40%) outside of Steve Nash.  They have no legit athleticism outside of Howard.  They are old and thus constantly injured.  Celtics fans should be able to relate to that.  They have players in their bench that wouldn't be drafted in the second round of the d-league.  They had a couple of coaches that weren't good enough for Lebron and Carmelo, and they certainly are not able to handle Kobe and Howard. 

Kobe, by the way, despite his knees and the fact that he played and won a gold medal in the off season hasn't missed a game.
His longevity is amazing but in my opinion there are more than 4 other players who have been better than Kobe.  He's not top 5 on my list.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:45:53 AM by moiso »

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Spoiled Brat is what I have taken away.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 08:50:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
As we always knew , unwilling to share the ball. Very poor sport , poor team player, poor teammate, won't listen to anybody but Jackson who caters to his whines. Ego driven , Kobe first , team last player.  Plays defense only if he can afford too, uses all energy on scoring.

Scoring machine, and one of the worse ball-hog team players of all time .

Last star player I would EVER want on the Celtics at this point in his career.

HE can't SHARE the court with other SUPERSTARS well.  Pau and Bynum are stars , but not SUPER STARS....

Its obvious SHAQ and now Howard (superstars) don't like Kobes dominating the ball 99% of the time.

A totally none team player...

He couldn't have played along side the old lakers ....they played team ball...Kobe plays HOG BALL.