Author Topic: Boston’s bench has settled on “Gangster Squad  (Read 12849 times)

Re: Boston’s bench has settled on “Gangster Squad
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 01:15:02 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
How can something that helps bench players embrace their roles be a bad thing?

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 02:41:55 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'm not saying a team identity as a motivator is a bad thing. I'm saying giving guys who aren't starters a name to call their own can also be a good motivator, and shouldn't be dismissed. Anything that can make your reserves go harder is useful.

I think the bench having a nickname won't affect the team negatively, seeing as how they are all veterans(except Sully)... they know what their job is, they aren't breaking into factions. All of them know (even Sully b/c he is so smart) that the name on the front of the jersey matters most! If we had a bunch of young guys on the bench and vets as our starters then maybe I could understand the point others on here are making, but we don't. We have a team of mostly, been there done that guys... if they need to boost themselves up with a name, I say go for it!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 09:54:44 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
As far as I'm concerned, they can call themselves whatever they want if they keep playing the way they have been lately.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 10:11:57 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
The Boston Stranglers  ;D

Don't like it!  My cousin was strangled downtown Boston at the age of 16 in 1979. She was all broken up and put into a trash bag. :'(
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I shall call them "the Salmon Fishermen of Yemen."

They might not get it NOW, but they'll thank me when they see this DELIGHTFUL film

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 10:50:46 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Not a fan of the name they settled on but oh well. I'm a fan of the bench guys. Keep grinding!
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 04:52:31 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'm not saying a team identity as a motivator is a bad thing. I'm saying giving guys who aren't starters a name to call their own can also be a good motivator, and shouldn't be dismissed. Anything that can make your reserves go harder is useful.
And I'm not saying that's a bad thing.  Just that nothing is a more effective motivator than Ubuntu (or more honorable) and this seems counter-intuitive to that. 

Obviously Ubuntu isn't coming back though, so it doesn't matter to me.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 05:10:22 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I've seen some references to "Ubuntu" throughout the thread, and to those of you who miss it - I don't believe it's left. The reason I say this?

Yes - Avery Bradley is a big reason why I believe that "ubuntu" hasn't left our Celtics. Any time someone like Avery can come back and have such a seemingly profound effect on our team is evidence to me that this team STILL thrives on Ubuntu.

Avery Bradley's work on Defense and his tireless devotion to it...his now fearless confidence against ANYONE in the league now:

...is evidence to me that he's willing to sacrifice for the team and take on tough tasks such as our opponents' primary guard threat.

To me, Ubuntu still thrives with this team.

Avery Bradley received a few Defensive Team votes last year...was ranked 106 (out of 500) among his NBA peers last summer by gurus at ESPN summer rankings.

So, basically - any time someone whose supposedly NOT a top player in the NBA can come back and have such a seemingly profound effect on this team is pure evidence, to me - that Ubuntu is still here.

This just doesn't happen with ANY NBA team.

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I've seen some references to "Ubuntu" throughout the thread, and to those of you who miss it - I don't believe it's left. The reason I say this?

Yes - Avery Bradley is a big reason why I believe that "ubuntu" hasn't left our Celtics. Any time someone like Avery can come back and have such a seemingly profound effect on our team is evidence to me that this team STILL thrives on Ubuntu.

Avery Bradley's work on Defense and his tireless devotion to it...his now fearless confidence against ANYONE in the league now:

...is evidence to me that he's willing to sacrifice for the team and take on tough tasks such as our opponents' primary guard threat.

Avery Bradley received a few Defensive Team votes last year...was ranked 106 (out of 500) among his NBA peers last summer by gurus at ESPN summer rankings.

So, basically - any time someone whose supposedly NOT a top player in the NBA can come back and have such a seemingly profound effect on this team is pure evidence, to me - that Ubuntu is still here.

That's not Ubuntu.  It's called defense.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 05:52:43 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
The Boston Stranglers  ;D

Don't like it!  My cousin was strangled downtown Boston at the age of 16 in 1979. She was all broken up and put into a trash bag. :'(
Seriously?!

Sorry for your loss
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 06:27:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

That's not Ubuntu.  It's called defense.

What's your definition of Ubuntu?

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
And I'm not saying that's a bad thing.  Just that nothing is a more effective motivator than Ubuntu (or more honorable) and this seems counter-intuitive to that. 

Obviously Ubuntu isn't coming back though, so it doesn't matter to me.

Yet since Garnett and Allen joined, we had the "Big 3" to go alongside ubuntu.

A lot is being made around here about nothing.