Author Topic: Top 5 Role Players "every team should have".  (Read 7348 times)

Re: Top 5 Role Players "every team should have".
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 11:32:57 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm surveying the top 5 role players that every team should have. I'm doing this for a blog that I would like to write and I'm using this idea as my very first topic for it.

Bleacher Report?

No, just a Facebook thing for my friends actually.  ;D

I will try bleacher report when I get good at this.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Guy who overreacts to dunks

Robert Sacre anyone?

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Guy who overreacts to dunks

Robert Sacre anyone?

On a serious note, I'd love for Sacre to play for us.

He's one of those "bruiser" type bigs who would rebound on ever single shot he sees. Not afraid of contact, will challenge anyone.

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 12:15:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'm surveying the top 5 role players that every team should have. I'm doing this for a blog that I would like to write and I'm using this idea as my very first topic for it.

Bleacher Report?

Being "good at this" isn't a requirement for the bleacher report.

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Bleacher Report?

Getting good at writing then taking it to bleacher report is like getting good at cooking and trying to get a job at Ponderosa.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Bleacher Report?

Getting good at writing then taking it to bleacher report is like getting good at cooking and trying to get a job at Ponderosa.

You still gotta start somewhere right?

I mean BR has a lot of readers, and I want to make a solid write up. I'm not just gonna go there and write "IMO it's this and that."

I kind of want my friends (who are basketball fans as well, but Lakers fans so to hell with them) to read it first, give me feedback. Then try BR and then maybe do an amateur blog.

BTW IP, I would like to read your write up, where can I find it?

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 01:12:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Bleacher Report?

You still gotta start somewhere right?

I mean BR has a lot of readers, and I want to make a solid write up. I'm not just gonna go there and write "IMO it's this and that."

I kind of want my friends (who are basketball fans as well, but Lakers fans so to hell with them) to read it first, give me feedback. Then try BR and then maybe do an amateur blog.

Don't write for Bleacher Report. Its everything that's wrong with online blogging. Zero credibility, zero insight, zero substance. It would be better to start writing Fanposts on here, or anywhere really, and just getting better that way.

BTW IP, I would like to read your write up, where can I find it?

I only started writing it before i saw what Who wrote. Basically the way I'd approach what you're doing is from the angle of describing a 'template' for an ideal player that successful teams seem to have.

For example:

1) The 'Three and D' swingman: When you think of a championship caliber 2 guard, or small forward, usually you think of guys who are dynamic two-way players; maybe guys who are athletic freaks with preternatural scoring instincts. Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony all probably come to mind, and obviously you start the conversation with Michael Jordan.

And while having a guy like that is a great step forward towards claiming a trophy in June, there is another guy you absolutely need to have, that every championship team for the last 10 years has had. The 'Three and D' perimeter player is absolutely critical to success. Defense of course, wins championships, and it is common sense to realize that not everyone on the floor can handle the rock all the time.

The 'Three and D' swingman isn't a guy who gets 12 shots a game, but he doesn't need it to make an impact. He shoots 40% from 3, and that's basically all he does on offense, besides not turn the ball over. He's not necessarily an all-time great sniper, he's just out there to make sure that teams can't leave him alone. On defense, he's not the most athletic guy in the world, but he's smart, savvy, experienced, and knows how to defend the best players in the league through years and years of doing it. He's tenacious, he gets under the other guy's skin with elbows, tripped up feet, trash talk. He might start, depending on your other personnel, but he doesn't have to.

Current examples of this guy are Shane Battier, Deshawn Stevenson, Stephen Jackson, Matt Barnes

Great Historic Examples: James Posey, Bruce Bowen, Michael Cooper

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Where is Perk on that list?

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 03:50:38 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Before I read the thread, I thought it was going to be a different angle.   Not name specific players, but talking about certain roles.  So without too much thought or analysis, I wrote up mine:

The Happy-To-Be-Their Guy: End of bench guy, who the fans love to see play.  He knows he’s the 12th man, he knows he's not getting in the game, but cheers every play like it's the last second of a big game and it's his first time at a pro game.  Always cheering his teammates on.  And that rare time when his number is called, knows exactly what’s going on and exactly what he should do.  Real life examples: Brian Scalabrine, Robert Sacre.

The If-I-Wasn’t-In-The-NBA-I’d-Be-In-The-WWE Guy:  These guys are tough and scared of no one.  Even though they’re fringe NBA players, they don’t back down from anybody.  They go hard.  They play hard.  They foul hard.  They have no problem knocking Kobe, LeBron, Wade down as they drive to the hoop.  Not a bully, but an enforcer, as they’d go toe-to-toe with Karl Malone or Charles Barkley at a moment’s notice.  You put these guys in the game, and hard fouls ensue.  They grind it out, can grab boards, will dive for loose balls, and love playing physical.  Real life examples: Brandon Hunter, Leon Powe, Mardy Collins.

The He’s-Still-In-The-League? Guy:  Even a knowledgeable basketball fan is surprised when he sees this guy on the roster.  Wow, he’s still in the league?  Though said not in a “cuz this guy sucks” condescending sort of way, but in a “he’s been around forever” sort of respectable way.  Classy, crafty veterans with a little bit of game left.  Only used for spot minutes now, but great for mentoring the young guys and for the locker room as a whole.  Not only have they played with and against the current NBA’s old superstars (Kidd, Duncan, Garnett), the current superstars (LeBron, Wade, Rose), and the next generation superstars (Griffin, Rubio, Irving), but also played with the previous 2-3 generations of stars (Magic, Jordan, Olajuwon).  Sometimes been in the league longer than the rookies have been alive. Pretty limited skill set now, but still able to turn back the clock once or twice a year.  Real life examples: Kurt Thomas, Juwan Howard.

The Utility-Infielder Guy:  Doesn’t really do any one thing well, except play basketball.  Mid-first round talent when they came into the league, maybe even got an early push on a rebuilding team, but didn’t quite have the overall skills to lead the way.  Can play and defend at least 2-3 positions, and you can plug them into most specialty lineups.  3pt shooters lineup? Check.  Free throw shooters lineup? Check.  Small lineup? Check. Big lineup? Check.  Defensive lineup? Check.  Real life examples: James Posey. Courtney Lee.

The Why-Is-He-Starting Guy:  This might be your 4th man, might be your 5th man, but the casual fan has no idea why he’s out there.  Usually a big drop-off from the least of your star players to this guy.  He’ll never be an All-Star, nor is he a starter on every team, but he’s a starter on your team.  Usually a veteran, and there’ll be some young guy that most fans would rather see play over him.  Yet he’s still out there.  The thing is, he makes things run smoothly.  He knows no plays will be called for him, he knows he has to do things that won’t show up in the box score.  He sets picks, he stands out by the 3 point line, he brings the ball up then immediately passes off to the point forward, and he doesn’t complain, demand more shots, a bigger role, or ask to be traded.  A lot of fans want to upgrade him, but if you replaced him with a better player, your team often plays worse as there’s suddenly not enough shots to keep everybody happy.  Real life examples:  Mario Chalmers, Kendrick Perkins, Brandon Bass.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:53:29 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 04:19:12 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I would say Sully is right up there.  I'd still categorise him as a role player at this point in his career, but his banging, rebounding, energy and second chance points create a huge bonus for Boston.

He and AB are IMO two of the beat role players in the league, and I don't think its any surprise that we are winning games consistently since we've had them both suited up for us.

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 04:35:25 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Scalabrine

hustle and a great 3pt shooter
basketball IQ is tops
and a great lockeroom guy

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 04:37:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
bdm that was very nice.

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Steve Buscemi, Harvey Keitel, Chris Penn, Michael Madsen and Tim Roth.

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 07:10:58 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
bdm that was very nice.
+1

I really enjoy the names of the roles like "The If-I-Wasn’t-In-The-NBA-I’d-Be-In-The-WWE Guy"
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Bleacher Report?

I think I've linked to this previously in the forums, but I can't help but to think of this article whenever I hear about Bleacher Report.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/furious-bleacher-report-editor-will-make-staff-ran,30662/
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur