Author Topic: Would Charlotte trade both Walker and MKG for Rondo?  (Read 7410 times)

Would Charlotte trade both Walker and MKG for Rondo?
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Both look solid but not spectacular, with good skills but notable flaws. But I like the heart of both players.

I doubt the answer is 'yes' -- I'm curious what people think.

Would be interesting to trot out a young squad built largely around Walker, Bradley, MKG and Sully in future years. Hard-nosed group.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Would Charlotte trade both Walker and MKG for Rondo?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:01:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think they'd have to consider it.  MKG is a really nice young player, and a hard-worker.  He looks like he has a ton of potential.  But he seems like he's going to be more of an Andre Iguodala type player than a LeBron.  Which is to say, a really great guy to put next to a top scorer, rather than a player who is going to carry your team.

So the Bobcats might consider trading him for an established All-Star PG who is exciting for fans to watch and who can, at least in theory, be the centerpiece of an efficient offense.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
They should ... but who knows with that whacky front office and ownership.

Anyway, on Boston's side of things, I have zero interest in trading Rondo for those two. I don't think Kemba Walker is anything more than a change of pace point guard off the bench and MKG projects more as a Gerald Wallace type. Not enough value for a player as talented as Rondo.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 08:24:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Anyway, on Boston's side of things, I have zero interest in trading Rondo for those two. I don't think Kemba Walker is anything more than a change of pace point guard off the bench and MKG projects more as a Gerald Wallace type. Not enough value for a player as talented as Rondo.

I tend to agree, though I'd strongly consider it if the Cats threw in their 1st round pick this season.  I'd also want this deal to be concurrent with the Celtics trading for a quality starting PG prospect (e.g. trading Pierce for Eric Bledsoe).

Also, I think Gerald Wallace is probably a little bit conservative as a comp for MKG.  Ideally he's probably closer to Iguodala. 
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
omg, yeah and we'll sprinkle green fairy dust on them and they'll be something more than losers in the nba and we'll sprinkle fairy dust on someone else on the team so they'll be capable of running an offense. don't understand these fascinations with trading a young star and playoff stud for lottery team garbage.spare me!

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

I tend to agree, though I'd strongly consider it if the Cats threw in their 1st round pick this season.  I'd also want this deal to be concurrent with the Celtics trading for a quality starting PG prospect (e.g. trading Pierce for Eric Bledsoe).

Also, I think Gerald Wallace is probably a little bit conservative as a comp for MKG.  Ideally he's probably closer to Iguodala.

In no way is Bledsoe an NBA starter. A reasonably capable backup maybe, but he is definitely not contender point guard material.

He has no consistent jump shooting ability and he is patchy with his passing at best.

Carry on.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 09:31:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

In no way is Bledsoe an NBA starter. A reasonably capable backup maybe, but he is definitely not contender point guard material.

He has no consistent jump shooting ability and he is patchy with his passing at best.

Carry on.

Right, because Bledsoe is clearly a finished product at the age of 22 with no upside.  ::)

Also you haven't been watching the Clippers much if you don't have an appreciation for Bledsoe's upside.  He's probably not going to ever be a prolific passer, but he's shown the ability to make really impressive, athletic plays on defense and offense.  And he's already a productive scorer.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:33:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
omg, yeah and we'll sprinkle green fairy dust on them and they'll be something more than losers in the nba and we'll sprinkle fairy dust on someone else on the team so they'll be capable of running an offense. don't understand these fascinations with trading a young star and playoff stud for lottery team garbage.spare me!

Yes, because players who are on a losing team are by nature losers not worth investing in.  It's not possible for a player to be really valuable and still be on a team that loses a lot of games.

Obviously since Pierce and Rondo both played on that '06'-7 team that set the franchise record for losing streak they are lottery team garbage.  Total losers.

::)
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 09:39:19 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Carry on.

Right, because Bledsoe is clearly a finished product at the age of 22 with no upside.  ::)

Also you haven't been watching the Clippers much if you don't have an appreciation for Bledsoe's upside.  He's probably not going to ever be a prolific passer, but he's shown the ability to make really impressive, athletic plays on defense and offense.  And he's already a productive scorer.

My original post probably came out a little harsh on the guy and I do like his active defense and athleticism.

To be brutally honest though, there isn't much evidence that he can properly run an offense for any period of time or shoot the ball comfortably from anywhere on the floor. His game so far this year has benefitted from extra shooters spacing the floor so he can slash inside and finish around the rim.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Carry on.

My original post probably came out a little harsh on the guy and I do like his active defense and athleticism.

To be brutally honest though, there isn't much evidence that he can properly run an offense for any period of time or shoot the ball comfortably from anywhere on the floor. His game so far this year has benefitted from extra shooters spacing the floor so he can slash inside and finish around the rim.

I'll admit that I haven't watched him a ton, and it is obvious that there are flaws in his game.

But PG is one of the toughest positions to learn in the NBA and when a guy has only ever played limited minutes, and the role he's been asked to play has been combo guard off the bench -- hustle plays and scoring, basically -- it's hard to fault a young player for not being great at running the offense.

Poise to run the point and shooting are two things that young players tend to develop over time, when given the chance.  It's not a guarantee that he will, but I think it's safe to say with Bledsoe that the potential is there.  And he has a ton of talent and ability already to do lots of other things, most notably to make impressive defensive plays (blocks and steals) and to blow by defenders to get to the rim. 

There aren't too many point guard prospects (i.e. guys who aren't already established as starters) who I'd want to give an opportunity ahead of Bledsoe.  There are a lot of young guards playing more minutes who haven't shown as much as he has.  At the least he seems like he could be something like a cross between Ty Lawson and Jrue Holiday.

The prospect of playing Bledsoe next to Bradley, especially defensively, would be very exciting.

Of course, this is all very academic because neither Pierce nor Rondo is likely to get traded anytime soon, if ever.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Agreed.  Basketball is the last sport where you want to trade a horse for two ponies.  The trick is to get three clear All-Stars, with one of them something of a superstar.  Rondo might not be our ultimate superstar, but he's a clear All-Star.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 09:53:41 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Carry on.

I'll admit that I haven't watched him a ton, and it is obvious that there are flaws in his game.

But PG is one of the toughest positions to learn in the NBA and when a guy has only ever played limited minutes, and the role he's been asked to play has been combo guard off the bench -- hustle plays and scoring, basically -- it's hard to fault a young player for not being great at running the offense.

Poise to run the point and shooting are two things that young players tend to develop over time, when given the chance.  It's not a guarantee that he will, but I think it's safe to say with Bledsoe that the potential is there.  And he has a ton of talent and ability already to do lots of other things, most notably to make impressive defensive plays (blocks and steals) and to blow by defenders to get to the rim. 

There aren't too many point guard prospects (i.e. guys who aren't already established as starters) who I'd want to give an opportunity ahead of Bledsoe.  There are a lot of young guards playing more minutes who haven't shown as much as he has.  At the least he seems like he could be something like a cross between Ty Lawson and Jrue Holiday.

The prospect of playing Bledsoe next to Bradley, especially defensively, would be very exciting.

Of course, this is all very academic because neither Pierce nor Rondo is likely to get traded anytime soon, if ever.

Maybe you gentlemen could take your discussion about Eric Bledsoe... to a thread about Eric Bledsoe?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Maybe you gentlemen could take your discussion about Eric Bledsoe... to a thread about Eric Bledsoe?

I think we seem to have reached something of a consensus here.

But anyway, a little bit of a tangent isn't gonna derail your thread.  No need to get protective.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
They shouldn't.
I mean, that roster's offensive capabilities are known to everyone. As good as Rondo is, he isn't going to turn them into a great team himself. I doubt he would do any better than Kemba, since Kemba is more of a scorer on his own.

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 10:16:44 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Both look solid but not spectacular, with good skills but notable flaws. But I like the heart of both players.

I doubt the answer is 'yes' -- I'm curious what people think.

Would be interesting to trot out a young squad built largely around Walker, Bradley, MKG and Sully in future years. Hard-nosed group.

So who gets to pull KG and PP aside and say "Sorry, we decided to cut back on our chances of contending now because we'd like to field a scrappy, hard-nosed team without any stars in the future"?