Author Topic: Why I think the lakers wont make the playoffs  (Read 6273 times)

Why I think the lakers wont make the playoffs
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:58:15 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
 The teams that earned the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference over the last five full NBA seasons averaged about 48 wins to get there. For the Lakers to hit that mark, they'd have to go 33-13 the rest of the way.

Re: Why I think the lakers wont make the playoffs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 06:00:35 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Its tough to call if they make it or not. Chemistry not present at all and their defense is their biggest problem. Btw i think Jordan @ 38 can lead this team to the playoffs. :D

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 06:09:22 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
They are just too injured to compete.  They probably won't make the playoffs. It is definately a tough year for them, which is sweet for me.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:09:50 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
The teams that earned the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference over the last five full NBA seasons averaged about 48 wins to get there. For the Lakers to hit that mark, they'd have to go 33-13 the rest of the way.

Honestly though they have enough talent to do it...

What a terrible decision to hire santo I and not phil

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 08:03:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah, there's just no way they're going to get healthy enough in time to make that sort of run.

You need to have depth in order to win games if your top guys aren't always healthy.  The Lakers have no depth whatsoever.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 08:07:14 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Not sure I'm happy about them not making the playoffs.  Are there any possible superstars entering the draft next year?  If they don't make the playoffs, Stern will make sure they get that potential superstar player. >:(
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 08:10:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Not sure I'm happy about them not making the playoffs.  Are there any possible superstars entering the draft next year?  If they don't make the playoffs, Stern will make sure they get that potential superstar player. >:(

Worry not my friend!

The Suns have their pick :)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 08:39:18 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Don't want Nash to retire. Want Clippers to do well and resign CP3 to a multiyear extension.

Don't want CP3 or K  Irving on the Lakers.

Not to worry..Lakers will be back next year...stronger than ever , all their guys will be healthy, and will regroup.  Howard will be brainwashed into staying.  Next year is pretty much do or die for them for the "KOBE" era. They'll be looking for their 60 wins next year. ::)    So right now we need to bask in their misery while we can. ;D

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think they still got a pretty good at getting there. I don't think Portland can keep up this pace so I think that final seed is still fairly open. I think Utah may actually be more of a threat to LA for that 8th seed than Portland are.

But yeah, for the first time, I am thinking (1) LA has a real chance of missing the playoffs + (2) Dwight Howard may actually consider leaving LA. Missing the playoffs would be a major shift in LA's chances of keeping Dwight.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:27:13 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Stern will find a way to see that the Lakers make the playoffs.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 09:37:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think they still got a pretty good at getting there. I don't think Portland can keep up this pace so I think that final seed is still fairly open. I think Utah may actually be more of a threat to LA for that 8th seed than Portland are.

I'm not as down on Portland as some people seem to be.  The main weakness for them is their bench, which is pathetic.

But that starting lineup is one of the better units in the NBA.  LaMarcus is an All-Star caliber big man, and Lillard is a prolific guard who already has the poise of a veteran.  Matthews, Batum, and Hickson are all quick, athletic, talented supporting players.

You add a decent bench to that team and they could legitimately win 50+ games. 

As it is, I wouldn't bet against them making the playoffs, though I do think they'll fall off their current pace a bit.  But they're a better team than the Lakers.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
My theory is the karma bill come due. And I don't even believe in karma much

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 12:02:12 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Three games out of the 8th seed. I bet they get in; however I doubt they have HCA in any round and that will make winning the title incredibly difficult for them.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 12:16:36 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I will take bets (paid in Tommy Points) of the odds of LA missing the playoffs.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 12:31:12 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I will take bets (paid in Tommy Points) of the odds of LA missing the playoffs.

Paid from you, or to you, or just are you the "house" in this arrangement?