Author Topic: Why I think the lakers wont make the playoffs  (Read 6267 times)

Re: Why I think the lakers wont make the playoffs
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 10:07:28 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think they still got a pretty good at getting there. I don't think Portland can keep up this pace so I think that final seed is still fairly open. I think Utah may actually be more of a threat to LA for that 8th seed than Portland are.

I'm not as down on Portland as some people seem to be.  The main weakness for them is their bench, which is pathetic.

But that starting lineup is one of the better units in the NBA.  LaMarcus is an All-Star caliber big man, and Lillard is a prolific guard who already has the poise of a veteran.  Matthews, Batum, and Hickson are all quick, athletic, talented supporting players.

You add a decent bench to that team and they could legitimately win 50+ games. 

As it is, I wouldn't bet against them making the playoffs, though I do think they'll fall off their current pace a bit.  But they're a better team than the Lakers.

That's one of the most talented starting fives in the league.  Their bench is a problem, though.  If anyone goes down, they are in trouble.  Even if they manage to stay healthy, there's a good chance of them wearing themselves out.

They kind of have the same problem as the Lakers, albeit, they are younger and their main guys ought to be more durable. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Down to 31-13 to hit 48 wins, of course they are only 3 games behind the 7th seed.  I would be pretty shocked if they didn't catch at least 3 teams ahead of them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 07:37:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
According to Zach Lowe's recent article on the Indiana Pacers, the Portland Trailblazers have had the easiest schedule in the Western Conference so far.

A sign that Portland may be due a slip in the standings.

Creating an opening (for LAL or Utah) in that playoff picture out West.

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 08:40:19 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I still thing they will -- Stern won't tolerate a Lakerless playoff picture.  too much TV revenue lost without 2 of the league's glory boys, Kobe and DH.

although, they ARE loooonnnnnggggg overdue for a dose of negative karma as a franchise so a nice 20-year drought of playoffs/championships will hopefully commence this year :)

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 08:51:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
According to Zach Lowe's recent article on the Indiana Pacers, the Portland Trailblazers have had the easiest schedule in the Western Conference so far.

A sign that Portland may be due a slip in the standings.

Creating an opening (for LAL or Utah) in that playoff picture out West.
That, plus everyone keeps citing the 48 win landmark.

But someone online (can't recall whom) pointed out recently that Utah/Houston/Portland were on just a 43 win pace.

26-17 would be the record necessary to hit 43 wins. That just seems a lot easier then getting over 30 wins in the rest of the season.