Author Topic: Alvin Gentry and the Suns have agreed to part ways  (Read 3175 times)

Alvin Gentry and the Suns have agreed to part ways
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Alvin Gentry and the Suns have agreed to "part ways," according to John Gambadoro.
First of all, wow. Secondly, we can't say that it comes as a total surprise. Gentry's name has been mentioned by several when talking about coaches on the hot seat, and the Suns have had a miserable start to the season. Phoenix is 13-28 and last in the Pacific Division. The report has since by confirmed by multiple outlets, and Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski reports that the favorites for the interim coaching position are Elston Turner and Lindsey Hunter.

Source: John Gambadoro on Twitter Jan 18 - 12:54 PM

It might be fire sale time for Gortat, Beasley, Dudley, Brown

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns have agreed to part ways
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 01:35:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Or it might be time to change strategies to see if the current players can perform better. 

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:38:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Gentry is a weak coach. There was only really that one season where Phoenix made the Western Conference Finals where I thought one of his teams overachieved. Oftentimes they (PHO, DET, LAC) in was the opposite = they underperformed.

Good decision to fire Gentry. They have a strong chance at upgrading their coaching staff here.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Gortatss been pretty bad (not that he's ever really been good) id love to get him on the cheap

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Or it might be time to change strategies to see if the current players can perform better.

Maybe a little of both.

Was shocked to see that they are dead last in the West. I think that roster should be performing better than that (though not a playoff team in the West).

Scola isn't going anywhere (can't be traded as an amnesty pickup). The new coach will presumably make better use of Gortat, to win more games and/or boost his trade value.

Happy to hear Lindsey Hunter's name mentioned as a potential interim coach. Always liked him.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:54:42 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237

easier to fire the coach than the players

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Gortatss been pretty bad (not that he's ever really been good) id love to get him on the cheap

I think 11 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks per game (his numbers this season) is pretty good, and would be a huge upgrade over any current Celtics big not named KG.

And he averaged 15/10/1.5 last season, and 13/9/1 the season before that. And he's a career 55% shooter.

I'd love for the Cs to have him.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 04:26:34 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86

Marcin Gortat (@MGortat) is asking the Phoenix Suns to hire his former head coach Stan Van Gundy.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 04:33:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Marcin Gortat (@MGortat) is asking the Phoenix Suns to hire his former head coach Stan Van Gundy.

That would be a great hire for Phoenix. I hope it doesn't happen though. SVG should wait for a better job opening. A quality playoff team preferably a title contender.

SVG is too good for Phoenix ... with all their mismanagement and poor ownership.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Maybe a little of both.

Was shocked to see that they are dead last in the West. I think that roster should be performing better than that (though not a playoff team in the West).

Scola isn't going anywhere (can't be traded as an amnesty pickup). The new coach will presumably make better use of Gortat, to win more games and/or boost his trade value.

Happy to hear Lindsey Hunter's name mentioned as a potential interim coach. Always liked him.

I imagine they are hoping to reestablish some of the players values first.