Author Topic: Why isn't Andre Drummond playing more?  (Read 3529 times)

Why isn't Andre Drummond playing more?
« on: January 16, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
This kid is putting up unbelievable stats on limited minutes. Just like everybody else, I had questions about this kid but he has put all those to rest. His current stats are:

PPG-7.1

RPG-7.3

BLKPG-1.6

PER-21.95

MPG-19.7

Let's take a look at Drummond's production. Drummond is currently ranked 13th in the league in blocks, 17th in offensive rebounds per game, 33rd in overall rebounds and once he qualifies would be in the top three in field goal percentage.

Additionally (although I am not a huge fan of this statistic) he is 15th in the league in player efficiency.

OK, so you have absorbed those statistics. Pretty impressive, huh?

Now get ready to have your mind blown. Drummond has done all of the above despite ranking 171 in the league in minutes per game at a meager 19.7.

The best way to assess how impressive Drummond's production has been is to measure his stats over 36 minutes.

If you extend his minutes to 36 per game (the same as Dwight Howard), he would be averaging 13 points, 13.3 rebounds and three blocks per game.

That rebound production would put him behind only Kevin Love and Anderson Varejao, that block production would put him second in the league behind only Larry Sanders and even his steals production of 1.5 would put him just outside of the top 20 in the league.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Why isn't Andre Drummond playing more?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:34:54 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
(1) Drummond is strictly a garbage man on offense. Can't make a shot outside of five feet.

(2) Drummond has great physical tools defensively but is still fairly raw on that end of the floor. Probably a wee bit below average defensively.

(3) Tremendous rebounder

Right now, Drummond doesn't add enough in terms of offense and defense to warrant big minutes. He is in the right role in terms of minutes and responsibilities. Lawrence Frank is doing a good job of steadily bringing Drummond along. As Drummond's defense continues to improve, I'd expect his minutes to steadily rise.

Also, Drummond (C) + Monroe (PF) have serious spacing issues as a big man pairing which makes it difficult to get them longer minutes alongside one another. Monroe has a weak jump-shot and Drummond has no jump-shot.

Monroe needs to continue to develop his game offensively (jump-shooting, developing more of a power game in post instead of his current finesse post up game) and defensively (guarding further away from the basket both in man-to-man defense and team defense) to become a more able power forward on both ends of the court as much as Drummond needs to improve his own skill-level. Monroe's lack of refinement is just as large an issue here as Drummond's.

Also, Jason Maxiell is having a very good season for Detroit. An unsung hero. His best year since 2008 or 2009 whenever the last time was that Maxiell was a very good backup PF.

Charlie Villanueva gives them a different sort of weapon with his jump-shooting and explosive scoring. Detroit's big man rotation needs that (a big that can play away from the basket and space the floor for everyone) so Villanueva needs some minutes off the bench too.

All in all, I think Lawrence Frank is handling Drummond's role and minutes brilliantly. I think Frank deserves praise rather than criticism.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 02:55:45 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
(1) Drummond is strictly a garbage man on offense. Can't make a shot outside of five feet.

(2) Drummond has great physical tools defensively but is still fairly raw on that end of the floor. Probably a wee bit below average defensively.

(3) Tremendous rebounder

Right now, Drummond doesn't add enough in terms of offense and defense to warrant big minutes. He is in the right role in terms of minutes and responsibilities. Lawrence Frank is doing a good job of steadily bringing Drummond along. As Drummond's defense continues to improve, I'd expect his minutes to steadily rise.

Also, Drummond (C) + Monroe (PF) have serious spacing issues as a big man pairing which makes it difficult to get them longer minutes alongside one another. Monroe has a weak jump-shot and Drummond has no jump-shot.

Monroe needs to continue to develop his game offensively (jump-shooting, developing more of a power game in post instead of his current finesse post up game) and defensively (guarding further away from the basket both in man-to-man defense and team defense) to become a more able power forward on both ends of the court as much as Drummond needs to improve his own skill-level. Monroe's lack of refinement is just as large an issue here as Drummond's.

Also, Jason Maxiell is having a very good season for Detroit. An unsung hero. His best year since 2008 or 2009 whenever the last time was that Maxiell was a very good backup PF.

Charlie Villanueva gives them a different sort of weapon with his jump-shooting and explosive scoring. Detroit's big man rotation needs that (a big that can play away from the basket and space the floor for everyone) so Villanueva needs some minutes off the bench too.

All in all, I think Lawrence Frank is handling Drummond's role and minutes brilliantly. I think Frank deserves praise rather than criticism.

well said TP

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This is similar to asking why Jared Sullinger doesn't play more, considering he's averaging 11.7 pts and 10.2 rebounds per 36 minutes.

Simple answer: he's not ready to play those kinds of minutes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:47:49 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Coach Frank has already stated he plans to go step with step. Drummond has impressed him with his work ethic, which was labeled as questionable prior to draft, so, he should be getting more minutes by the end of the season.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:12:09 AM »

Offline frosty33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I was thinking the same thing because management wants him to play more. But after reading what everyone wrote on here, I see coach Frank's point of view

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah. Great numbers for minimal minutes. With the Pistons being as bad as they are I think he needs more minutes. Him and Monroe could be a nice duo downlow for many years.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
detroit's not going anywhere this year.  no sense ruining this kid's development by rushing him. 

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 01:45:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This is similar to asking why Jared Sullinger doesn't play more, considering he's averaging 11.7 pts and 10.2 rebounds per 36 minutes.

Simple answer: he's not ready to play those kinds of minutes.
It's not very similar. The answer for Sullinger is way more mundane: he doesn't play more because he can't stop fouling.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 02:24:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Lots of reasons to keep his minutes down. Keeps his head on straight. Reduces risk of injury, which is a real concern for a big guy who has never played a long season before. Allows him more time to see things from the bench. Reduces expectations.

In Sullinger's case we are in "win now" mode, which trumps many of those concerns.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I'd be pretty pumped if they gave him more minutes. I picked him up in my fantasy league hoping he will see extra pt.