Author Topic: Rondo outplayed in 5 of last 7 games  (Read 9286 times)

Re: Rondo outplayed in 5 of last 7 games
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 10:17:33 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Maybe it's just me but it seemed like he hasn't put as much effort in since his assist streak was broken.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 10:28:44 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I do think there is some concern about our starting unit the past few games. So far it hasn't produced very well for us.

I think that is more what's going on than Rondo's individual play.

Yeah, the bench has bailed out the starters during much of this winning streak.  Which is both good and bad.

But Rondo definitely has been underwhelming recently.  Seems like a totally different player than earlier in the season when he was racking up double digit assist games every night.

However, the Celtics are playing better.  So one can't help but wonder if the Celtics are better with Rondo averaging 8-8-2?

They're playing better on defense but worse on offense. I don't see why having a worse offense is a good thing, even if we're winning now.

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In other news the Celtics have won 5 of their last 7 games.

If this keeps up Rondo will get outplayed by his PG counterpart and the Celtics will win 34 of the last 46 games and so the Celtics will end up 53-29.

I could live with that.

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 10:35:27 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Even with a 5 game winning streak there are still threads were RR is being treated as a problem. While nursing a hip injury too.

Good Lord realky, he should be traded now. He doesnt deserve this kind of treatment.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 10:36:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I do think there is some concern about our starting unit the past few games. So far it hasn't produced very well for us.

Yeah, the bench has bailed out the starters during much of this winning streak.  Which is both good and bad.

But Rondo definitely has been underwhelming recently.  Seems like a totally different player than earlier in the season when he was racking up double digit assist games every night.

However, the Celtics are playing better.  So one can't help but wonder if the Celtics are better with Rondo averaging 8-8-2?

They're playing better on defense but worse on offense. I don't see why having a worse offense is a good thing, even if we're winning now.

Well, I'll readily admit that I have no idea what correlation, if any, there is between Rondo's play and the team's resurgence.

But I have noticed that the starters seem to come in and start off slow, and then things pick up once the bench guys get in the game.  Usually that pick-up is characterized by players getting out in transition more, and the ball moving around a lot more in the half-court.  To the extent that Rondo sometimes seems to slow things down maybe a bit too much and hold onto the ball for a while, making it more of a 2 or 3 man game versus a 5 man game offensively, I think that could hurt them at times.

I guess what I'm trying to say, to answer your query, is that though the Celtics haven't been great overall offensively during this stretch, they've had some really great runs that have given them leads.  Usually those runs are easy buckets fueled by defensive stops.  Rondo has been a big part of that, at times. 

But I also notice that when the bench is in, and we have a sort of "run the offense by committee" thing going with Lee, Terry, Bradley, Green, etc, it seems like that actually creates some easier opportunities, especially ones closer to the rim (for guys like Green, Sullinger, and KG).

Take that for what it's worth.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
rondo sets the tone.  He can go fast or slow. So to some degree, for the sake of preserving energy especially for KG/Pierce, He's important to have.  He just needs to know when to set the tone.

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 11:01:09 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Basketball isn't all about whether you outscore the person you are covering or whether you pile up more stats.  That was the problem when Rondo was getting 15 assists but we were losing.  Rondo has been a good solid, albeit under the radar, point guard these last few games.  To me, that is exactly what we need from him.

We don't need 15 assists, we don't need him taking 19 shots.  If he tries to be something he isn't, it hurts the team.  I really like this recent Rondo better than the 15 assists Rondo.

Of course the other big change is that the Celtics are 5-1 since Avery Bradley returned and it coincides both with us winning and Rondo’s more low profile play.

I see no problem with Rondo’s recent play.

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
rondo sets the tone.  He can go fast or slow. So to some degree, for the sake of preserving energy especially for KG/Pierce, He's important to have.  He just needs to know when to set the tone.

I tend to agree with this.

I think that Rondo has been conditioned to slow down the offense a lot because in his first few years in the league, his main role on the team was to set the pace and get the Big 3 into their sets. 

Now the team is better served by Rondo upping the pace at the right times, getting the team into transition off of defensive stops and forced turnovers, and getting everybody moving.  The team is much better off playing a quicker, more flowing style rather than grinding out each possession, because Pierce and Garnett don't create 1 on 1 mismatches like they used to.  The team is built to take advantage of its young athletes and its overall depth.

I know Rondo can thrive in that sort of system, I think he just needs to change his tendencies a bit to play more that style.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33:39 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
To be fair I'm pretty sure he's still getting over an injury

This.

And I could also care less since we are 5 and 2 during the last 7 games.

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Head to head usually he's outplayed by the better points in the League. He's a lot like Doc he plays better when the team is in sync. That has happened again only because someone useless is sitting and Bradley is starting. Doc nor Rondo had very little to do with this surge as is evidenced by the pre Bradley games. I will state that Bradley is more valuable to the Celts than Rondo. Rondo would be great on the Harlem Globetrotters if still in existence.

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Timobusa,

You make a GREAT point.  I had not noticed him deferring play calling to Lee and AB.  That would make sense.  I do also believe that RR is still hurt a little.  Not much, but a little.

Thanks,

Smitty77

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42

Enjoy them now. At least 2 starters will have lead feet after 65 games. Bradley may hit a wall also.

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Ederson,

We lost 3 of those 7:  LA Clips, Sac, and Memphis.

Smitty77

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 11:50:51 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
omg

yet another Rajon Rondo thread
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 11:54:10 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Bakhu,

I am as thrilled with this 5 game winning streak as anyone, but that does NOT by any means there is NOT room for improvement.  We SHOULD be concerned for where the dominant RR went that can simply take over games as needed!!! We SHOULD be concerned when a team just shoots 13 more FT attempts than us on OUR HOME COURT!!

I love the kool-aid as much as anyone, but we must be more than a jump-shooting team whose shots happen to be falling if we are to be a contender!!!!  PP must get back to driving the ball to the hole.  KG must start posting up a little bit more!!  RR must get back to driving the ball to the lane and not launching insane 3-point attempts.

I am NOT satisfied and I will NOT apologize for that!!!

Smitty77