Author Topic: Rondo outplayed in 5 of last 7 games  (Read 9294 times)

Re: Rondo outplayed in 5 of last 7 games
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2013, 12:21:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I do think there is some concern about our starting unit the past few games. So far it hasn't produced very well for us.

I think that is more what's going on than Rondo's individual play.

I think Rondo's play in part is what's causing the problems in the starting unit.  Rondo keeps walking the ball up, then holding and pounding the ball, letting the opposition set up their defense.  Maybe he's still getting over his injury, so I won't complain, but that's what I see.

Could be, but ... Rondo's penchant for stopping the basketball in the halfcourt has always been a problem. He's always been a bit of a ballstopper, and it hurts our transition offense.

Rondo doesn't slow the ball down when we have transitional scoring opportunities, he slows things down when we *don't* have any kind of advantage.

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2013, 12:54:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Basketball isn't all about whether you outscore the person you are covering or whether you pile up more stats.  That was the problem when Rondo was getting 15 assists but we were losing.  Rondo has been a good solid, albeit under the radar, point guard these last few games.  To me, that is exactly what we need from him.

We don't need 15 assists, we don't need him taking 19 shots.  If he tries to be something he isn't, it hurts the team.  I really like this recent Rondo better than the 15 assists Rondo.

I read a ton of posts about how happy people are that the offense is less Rondo-centric and he isn't controlling the ball and looking for assists as much. When Rondo's assist streak ended we were 10th in the league in offensive efficiency, now we're 21st or so. We were 6th in the league in 4th quarter points per game when the streak ended, now we're 23rd. I'd rather see the team play the style of offense that leads to more efficient scoring but that seems to put me squarely in the minority here.

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Basketball isn't all about whether you outscore the person you are covering or whether you pile up more stats.  That was the problem when Rondo was getting 15 assists but we were losing.  Rondo has been a good solid, albeit under the radar, point guard these last few games.  To me, that is exactly what we need from him.

We don't need 15 assists, we don't need him taking 19 shots.  If he tries to be something he isn't, it hurts the team.  I really like this recent Rondo better than the 15 assists Rondo.

I read a ton of posts about how happy people are that the offense is less Rondo-centric and he isn't controlling the ball and looking for assists as much. When Rondo's assist streak ended we were 10th in the league in offensive efficiency, now we're 21st or so. We were 6th in the league in 4th quarter points per game when the streak ended, now we're 23rd. I'd rather see the team play the style of offense that leads to more efficient scoring but that seems to put me squarely in the minority here.

I think there's a difference between how the team has played overall since the streak ended and how the team has played since Bradley came back.

Mostly I think people are talking about the offense looking better since Bradley came back. 

So the change in offensive rankings since the streak ended doesn't really speak to that. 

Though I'm not discounting what you're getting at which is that people may be seeing what they want to see / having selective memories.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I think there's a difference between how the team has played overall since the streak ended and how the team has played since Bradley came back.

Mostly I think people are talking about the offense looking better since Bradley came back. 

So the change in offensive rankings since the streak ended doesn't really speak to that. 

Though I'm not discounting what you're getting at which is that people may be seeing what they want to see / having selective memories.

You'd expect some improvement over the last 5 games because our defense is better, and you get easier baskets off of steals or missed baskets than you do inbounding the ball after a made basket. We haven't seen much improvement overall but I'd expect that to change as Rondo gets healthier, Bradley gets more in a groove and the bench keeps producing.