Author Topic: Rondo outplayed in 5 of last 7 games  (Read 9295 times)

Re: Rondo outplayed in 5 of last 7 games
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 03:56:54 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Ok i go with the OP....
RR`s been outplayed and it`s a problem

But what does that say about the players that outplayed him but their teams lost the games?

the concern about RR (and any other player) should be whether he plays good or not and not if he playes better than the opposition

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 05:42:33 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
As far as statistical production, after a brilliant start Rondo has now fallen to 3rd behind Chris Paul (well in the lead, as usual) and Russell Westbrook.  Kyrie Irving is hot on Rondo's heals.  Tony Parker and Steph Curry are right behind him as well.   Rondo was 5th last year.  Definitely a top 5 point guard.  He's got weaknesses, though.

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 06:07:21 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
As far as statistical production, after a brilliant start Rondo has now fallen to 3rd behind Chris Paul (well in the lead, as usual) and Russell Westbrook.  Kyrie Irving is hot on Rondo's heals.  Tony Parker and Steph Curry are right behind him as well.   Rondo was 5th last year.  Definitely a top 5 point guard.  He's got weaknesses, though.

Paul, Rose, Westbrook, Parker, Irving.

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 06:23:17 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Not sure what the big mystery is here ...  he's just plain been getting the rest of the team involved more.

Have you noticed the huge improvement in bench contributions?

The intensified defensive effort he's giving, and the energized team?

The involvement and chemistry developing between the entire team?

The more clarified roles and limited rotaion combinations?

He has purposely taken less of a scoring role in order for this team to become more complete and cohesive.

He's also a in a slight funk, but that happens, and will correct itself.

Hopefully he's not reading the blogs much, cuz the number of absurd trade threads would discourage anyone.

Man, this team is finally coming together in a big way, and people are still not encouraged or satisfied, and can only focus on the negative.

Personally, I completely understand his lower numbers and realize it's a necessary part of bringing this team together right now ... it will change as the team solidifies even further, and Rondo will be the balanced player he has been.

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 06:46:54 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Not sure what the big mystery is here ...  he's just plain been getting the rest of the team involved more.

Have you noticed the huge improvement in bench contributions?

The intensified defensive effort he's giving, and the energized team?

The involvement and chemistry developing between the entire team?

The more clarified roles and limited rotaion combinations?

He has purposely taken less of a scoring role in order for this team to become more complete and cohesive.

He's also a in a slight funk, but that happens, and will correct itself.

Hopefully he's not reading the blogs much, cuz the number of absurd trade threads would discourage anyone.

Man, this team is finally coming together in a big way, and people are still not encouraged or satisfied, and can only focus on the negative.

Personally, I completely understand his lower numbers and realize it's a necessary part of bringing this team together right now ... it will change as the team solidifies even further, and Rondo will be the balanced player he has been.

Good point on the defense bahku...he's been giving the game what it needs lately and picking his spots...maybe taking a cue from the captain.

I also think Hes getting used to the new guys and now knows where to get them the ball to be effective.

Some games he's been a defender and distributor and some games he's attacked more offensively and some games he has attacked the boards.

I am fine if he doesn't do all of it every game like he does in the playoffs because the team finally has the role players to allow rondo to pick his spots.

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 07:06:20 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
The real problem you're having is that you're looking at the efficiency stat. Its garbage.

Lol

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 08:01:52 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I do think there is some concern about our starting unit the past few games. So far it hasn't produced very well for us.

I think that is more what's going on than Rondo's individual play.

I think Rondo's play in part is what's causing the problems in the starting unit.  Rondo keeps walking the ball up, then holding and pounding the ball, letting the opposition set up their defense.  Maybe he's still getting over his injury, so I won't complain, but that's what I see.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 08:07:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I do think there is some concern about our starting unit the past few games. So far it hasn't produced very well for us.

Yeah, the bench has bailed out the starters during much of this winning streak.  Which is both good and bad.

But Rondo definitely has been underwhelming recently.  Seems like a totally different player than earlier in the season when he was racking up double digit assist games every night.

However, the Celtics are playing better.  So one can't help but wonder if the Celtics are better with Rondo averaging 8-8-2?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Still believe Rondo is recovering from his hip injury. He seems reluctant to do alot of driving plays . ANd his defense has been down abit.  I'm thinking he just isn't 100 %healthy right now. ANd trying to play though it.

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 08:33:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Still believe Rondo is recovering from his hip injury. He seems reluctant to do alot of driving plays . ANd his defense has been down abit.  I'm thinking he just isn't 100 %healthy right now. ANd trying to play though it.

Yeah, he hasn't been the same since that injury.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
haha haha hahahahahaha have to laugh at this thread...what do we want, wins or rondo stats? this is a team.he's our only guard capable of running an offense and passing and we're winning, buh byeeeeeee
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:01:08 AM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 09:22:46 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I'm looking for ROndo to play better on monday, he'll have a couple days off to heal up his body.

Maybe we'll have Wilcox back monday and th team will look even better .  :)

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 10:11:48 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo has been outplayed by opposing PG's in 5 of the last 7 games and one was close to a tie.

All of these are efficiency ratings from popcornmachine.net

1. Lin outplayed him 19 to 14
2. Dragis outplay him 13 to 5
3. Rondo was a +24, but Teague was +16 and Lou was a +26.  This could be called a tie.
4. +23 vs. Indy.  Dominated!!!!
5. Conley dominated Rondo 29 to 12.
6. Isiah Thomas dominated Rondo 29 to 10.
7. Chris Paul outplayed RR 12 to 9.

What has happened to Rondo of late??  It seems that since the "STREAK" ended he is playing half-heartedly and seemingly disinterested. 

Thoughts??

$11 million this season is a LOT to play for someone that seems to take off large chunks of the season to me!!!!!

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!!! 

It's fairly amazing that so many of Rondo's detractors (not just the OP) watch Rondo closely enough to see all of his perceived mistakes every game but are unable to figure out when his play is affected by injury. The fact that he missed one of the games in the streak due to injury should have been a hint though.

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 10:12:46 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

If stats do suggest that Russell Westbrook is a better PG than Rajon Rondo, I'll just pass.
Paul, Kyrie, Parker, Steph. I could understand. Westbrook? No. Another mediocre guard that benefits from explosiveness to be mistaken as a great player.

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I think Rondo's play in part is what's causing the problems in the starting unit.  Rondo keeps walking the ball up, then holding and pounding the ball, letting the opposition set up their defense.  Maybe he's still getting over his injury, so I won't complain, but that's what I see.

Could be, but ... Rondo's penchant for stopping the basketball in the halfcourt has always been a problem. He's always been a bit of a ballstopper, and it hurts our transition offense.

Doc talks often about wanting him to attack the rim more, and getting that done is a pretty difficult thing.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."