Author Topic: Celtics 5-Win Revival: Up the Tempo!  (Read 843 times)

Celtics 5-Win Revival: Up the Tempo!
« on: January 12, 2013, 08:22:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Probably the main thing that stands out in the Celtics' play over the last 5-6 games since Bradley came back is that the defense has stepped up the intensity a notch, and they seem to be making many more defensive plays than they were earlier in the season.

Related to that is the other really noticeable change: the tempo.  The Celtics are getting out in transition now, and it's turning into easy points.  Usually these come off of defensive stops.  The Celtics don't have an explosive offense, and they probably won't at any point this year.  But they gain leads by going on big runs fueled by forced turnovers and quickly turning stops into easy buckets.

The bench at times has looked more impressive than the starters during this run in part because they seem to be much more willing and effective at pushing the tempo and getting out in transition like that.

Danny Ainge built the supporting cast this off-season to be effective at playing faster and getting in transition.  Players like Terry, Lee, Green, and Barbosa all reflect the goal of playing this style.  I think one of the keys to maintaining this success is going to be to continue pushing the tempo, and somehow getting the first unit guys in on that action. 

Too often during this run the first unit guys have come out slow at the start of each half, and it's not until the quicker, higher energy bench guys get in that the Cs really take off.  That's not going to work in the playoffs.

What the Celtics lacked through the first portion of this season was an identity.  They didn't do anything that stood out compared to any other team.  Playing quicker, forcing turnovers, blitzing the opponent's ballhandlers, and getting out in transition, while also playing grind-it-out half-court sets in high-pressure situations (the strength of the starting 5) can and should be this team's identity moving forward.  They can go places with that.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:31:17 AM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Celtics 5-Win Revival: Up the Tempo!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:37:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Don't mean to bump myself here but this is only sort of related to the OP:

The increase in energy and speed doesn't just relate to transition plays and full-court.  One thing I've noticed over the past few games is the Celtics playing much quicker in the half-court. 

There's a lot more movement on and off the ball, and more passing.  Instead of pounding the ball into the floor and waiting until the last few seconds of the shot clock to try to find an opportunity, the Celtics are shifting around and breaking down the defense as a 5-man unit. 

I don't know if this is related to Rondo being limited a bit by injury, but I like it.  I really hope that continues even once Rondo is back to 100%.  I don't want a return to the clock-killing ways of the earlier parts of the season. 

This team was built to share the load and keep the ball moving.  The more they do that, the more they will win.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Celtics 5-Win Revival: Up the Tempo!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 09:32:12 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Bradley and Lee's active hands coupled with sully's improved rotations have led to some really impressive defensive sets lately. Especially with sideline and baseline "ice" trapping. They're actually pushing guys to the right hand side/corner of the three point arc so that they either get trapped out of bounds, throw a cross court pass (which green and terry are snapping up), or attempt to dribble out of trouble with their non preferred left hand back to the middle of the floor.

It's impressive stuff and something that the second unit are doing far more actively than the vets.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?