Author Topic: The Celtics don't have a big man problem...  (Read 14567 times)

Re: The Celtics don't have a big man problem...
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 01:05:32 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
sully cannot block shots. we need another big who can do this plus rebound and scor a tad when KG is out.

Maximize Sullinger's minutes when KG is resting and maybe you only need a big who can play defense and block shots, but who doesn't have to be an above average rebounder.

Fabulous Fab Melo. Oh how i wish he was ready. he will be a great shot blocker. Once he can rebound better and learn his rotations he will be good. I wish he was ready now but too much of a liability on D.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 02:57:55 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
When a 27 year old player's numbers are lower than their career average that means they are in a slump.  Brandon Bass has proven throughout his career that he is one of the best isolation defenders and mid range jump shooters in the league.  This is very important because the athleticism of the Heat make it necessary to switch when guarding Lebron.
http://redsarmy.com/2012/10/22/the-case-for-starting-brandon-bass/

The best big that we can reasonably trade for is Marcin Gortat.  I hate to burst people's bubble here, but Gortat would do absolutely nothing to help against the Heat.

March 20th, 2012 matched up against Dexter Pitman and Chris Bosh:
Gortat 13 points in 6-13 shooting. 8r 1a 1b for a -7
Pittman and Bosh combined for 15-22 for 35 points and a combined +21.

November 17th matched up against the much smaller Bosh and Battier:
Gortat 4 points in 2-5 shooting.  6r 2s 1b for a -11
Bosh and Battier combined for 13-19 FG for 24 points and were a combined +35.

The first game he had Steve Nash feeding him the ball and the second had Goran Dragic so he was playing with excellent point guards. 

Unless you happen to have a trade for Dwight Howard or Marc Gasol type player there is no center that is going to dominate the Heat.  More likely they would stand around and let Battier and Bosh drain 3 after 3. 

The Celtics on the other hand took the Heat to 7 games playing small with Ray Allen, Marquis Daniels, Sasha Pavlovic, Mikael Pietrus, Greg Stiemsma, Ryan Hollins and Keyon Dooling. 

Avery Bradley, Jason Terry, Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, Courtney Lee, Chris Wilcox, Leandro Barbosa are an upgrade in every position. 

If you want to beat the Heat you need athletic players who can contest the 3 and make life difficult for Lebron and Wade if forced to switch.  That is Lee, Green and Bass.  Trading 2 or three of these guys for a 7 footer who will be forced to sit in the bench because they are useless against the Heat is a sure fire way to lose to them.
TP good post agree with a lot of what you said
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 03:20:44 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
I am pretty sure now with this re-emergence of Lee playing lockdown defense along with Ab we now have enough perimeter D to stop chalmers, miller, traitor, and battier do we not?? I mean everybody talks about how rondo will step it up in the playoffs so that SHOULD give us 3 good perimeter defenders right?

Seems many here miss the advantage we would have on the block with two bigs who can score some offensively for 48 minutes straight. pound them relentlessly like KG did to Anthony. Do it to bosh also. also you out rebound the heat down low with this. KG, sully and another good one who can block shots and rebound? oh my. That helps the perimeter defenders. has anybody forgot LBJ and DW love to dribble drive? what does a big do if they get by one of our pitbulls? swat that stuff out of there. we are not beating the heat with small ball people.  we have very few advantages. we must maximize the ones we have.

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I am pretty sure now with this re-emergence of Lee playing lockdown defense along with Ab we now have enough perimeter D to stop chalmers, miller, traitor, and battier do we not?? I mean everybody talks about how rondo will step it up in the playoffs so that SHOULD give us 3 good perimeter defenders right?

Seems many here miss the advantage we would have on the block with two bigs who can score some offensively for 48 minutes straight. pound them relentlessly like KG did to Anthony. Do it to bosh also. also you out rebound the heat down low with this. KG, sully and another good one who can block shots and rebound? oh my. That helps the perimeter defenders. has anybody forgot LBJ and DW love to dribble drive? what does a big do if they get by one of our pitbulls? swat that stuff out of there. we are not beating the heat with small ball people.  we have very few advantages. we must maximize the ones we have.

Good thing the Thunder had Ibaka and Perkins last year.

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
its also something worth noting that last year we had to Double wade ALOT to throw him off his game because we had no one who could single cover him...and that left alot of other guys open

not that Lee/Bradley can totally stop wade. but they should be able to cover him one-on-one better than Ray allen/Dooling

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

wait, so Ibaka played at the 5? really? and he rotated out with Perk? really? 

nobody said it was a GUARANTEE regardless. but if you think we are beating them with small ball then I cannot help you. In this whole thread and others i clearly stated we need two FIVES(centers, KG and someone else), who need to ROTATE out to keep a rim/paint presence along with our perimeter defenders. That BIG presence is not just for defense either. It for OFFENSE. Did you not see we were better than the heat at only PG and C last year? DO you not want to maximize that advantage? I am not really sure how you thought Ibaka at the 4 and Perk at the 5, much less not rotating equaled what i was saying. Unless i missed it. Did ibaka play the 5? and did he rotate with perk all game long like that?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:05:12 PM by Boston Garden Leprechaun »
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

nobody said it was a GUARANTEE regardless. but if you think we are beating them with small ball then I cannot help you. In this whole thread and others i clearly stated we need two FIVES(centers, KG and someone else), who need to ROTATE out to keep a rim/paint presence along with our perimeter defenders. That BIG presence is not just for defense either. It for OFFENSE. Did you not see we were better than the heat at only PG and C last year? DO you not want to maximize that advantage? I am not really sure how you thought Ibaka at the 4 and Perk at the 5, much less not rotating equaled what i was saying. Unless i missed it. Did ibaka play the 5? and did he rotate with perk all game long like that?

I'm not disputing that we need to add a big, we have 2 open roster spots after all, I'm disputing your assesment that having these types of centers will be the difference in stopping the Heat.

LeBron destroyed the Thunder despite having arguably the best big 1-2 defensive punch in the league.

Perimeter defense will prove to be much more important to beating the Heat.

Would it be better if we had more big help? Of course, but I'm not sacrificing our perimeter defense to get it. I'll roll the dice with what we can get in the open market, unless a trade is made that really brings someone of significance, and even then the sacrificial lamb should come from our PF logjam.

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2013, 06:45:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I'm not disputing that we need to add a big, we have 2 open roster spots after all, I'm disputing your assesment that having these types of centers will be the difference in stopping the Heat.

LeBron destroyed the Thunder despite having arguably the best big 1-2 defensive punch in the league.

Would it be better if we had more big help? Of course, but I'm not sacrificing our perimeter defense to get it. I'll roll the dice with what we can get in the open market, unless a trade is made that really brings someone of significance, and even then the sacrificial lamb should come from our PF logjam.

The key isn't big who is good defensively.  As long as they play solid defense as a C, the Celtics will be good.

The key is a big man that can score in the low post.  Someone Bosh can't defend down low that forces the Heat to play bigger. 

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2013, 08:06:25 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

The key isn't big who is good defensively.  As long as they play solid defense as a C, the Celtics will be good.

The key is a big man that can score in the low post.  Someone Bosh can't defend down low that forces the Heat to play bigger.

yep. hopefully Kg or the new guy i hope we acquire will be able to handle boshtrich down low and then we can witness joel anthony get destroyed again by the other guy we use. we really need to use that advantage this year and make them pay dearly for it.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 09:24:29 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
yes they have... maybe is not as big. or unsolvable orhowever y say that
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!