Author Topic: Celtics "open to discussing Paul Pierce"?!  (Read 20200 times)

Celtics "open to discussing Paul Pierce"?!
« on: January 11, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Team executives involved in exploratory trade talks report that the Knicks (Amar'e Stoudemire), Lakers (Pau Gasol), Raptors (Bargnani) and Celtics (Paul Pierce) are open to discussing their high-profile names. In every case but one, the early indications are that none could be moved without a bad contract going back in return. (In Stoudemire's case, his health and the $45 million left on his contract after this season almost certainly will prevent any deal from happening.) The lone exception, executives say, may be Pierce, whose ruthless scoring prowess and championship experience come with another attractive feature: only $4 million of his $15.3 million salary is guaranteed next season. With the Celtics playing better since Avery Bradley returned from injury, president Danny Ainge once again finds himself trying to determine whether the remnants of the 2007-08 championship team have enough to make one more run. Some rival executives believe the Celtics recently waived Jarvis Varnado and Kris Joseph to create roster flexibility for a potential trade. If Ainge decides to stand pat, a deal involving Pierce -- which would mark the true end of the Big Three era -- could be re-examined around the draft or during free agency.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/21539972/postups-gay-trade-bait-as-grizzlies-maneuver-between-winning-taxes

Say it isn't so.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Celtics "open to discussing Paul Pierce"?!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Seems like this happens every year. Pierce even jokes about it.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If he's discussing trading Rondo then he's clearly going to be discussing Pierce.

Thing is other than a team like the Grizzlies Pierce has a much more limited market. For them he has to be attractive to replace Gay's on the court production with a shorter contract.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah, this is why KG got his no-trade clause.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 05:01:06 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Don't tell me you're surprised.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 05:03:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What team is going to trade the Celtics something of value for Pierce?  Who is a Paul Pierce away from being a contender, THIS year?

Only one I can think of is the Clippers (who are already a contender).

Butler + Odom + Bledsoe

for

Pierce + Wilcox + Barbosa

That could make sense if the Celtics then trade Rondo for something. Bledsoe has been phenomenal in limited minutes for the Clips and pairing him with Bradley could give the Celtics a ferocious, very fast and athletic combo in the backcourt on both ends of the floor.

The Clippers would obviously prefer not to give up Bledsoe, who has been GREAT this year, but going from Butler to Pierce is a pretty huge upgrade, and could make them nearly unstoppable this season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 05:09:10 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Not a huge surprise, considering i think it's a forgone conclusion that the Cs are going to ask Pierce to renegotiate his deal or nix the rest of it over the summer, and have a major investment in Green.

Ainge has been crystal clear about trading "Big 3" players before they're toast. Surely he wishes he traded Ray...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Essentially this. 

And if we couldn't find something palatable the past few years, I don't see what is going to change this time.  It's not like his trade value has gone up. 

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

It's not like his trade value has gone up.

Actually, as the quoted paragraph suggests, his trade value may indeed have gone up because though he makes a lot of money, he does not represent a long term investment for whoever takes him on.  The team who trades for him is only on the hook for $4 million next season.  That makes him much easier to trade.

It's plausible that a team with the right contracts could trade for Pierce if they thought plugging him at SF would turn them into world-beaters.  There aren't a lot of teams that fit that bill, but there's at least one or two.

In the past, most teams would have insisted that the Celtics take back a bad contract, which was almost certainly a non-starter for Ainge.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

It's not like his trade value has gone up.

Actually, as the quoted paragraph suggests, his trade value may indeed have gone up because though he makes a lot of money, he does not represent a long term investment for whoever takes him on.  The team who trades for him is only on the hook for $4 million next season.  That makes him much easier to trade.

It's plausible that a team with the right contracts could trade for Pierce if they thought plugging him at SF would turn them into world-beaters.  There aren't a lot of teams that fit that bill, but there's at least one or two.

In the past, most teams would have insisted that the Celtics take back a bad contract, which was almost certainly a non-starter for Ainge.

Well, maybe from last year.  But they couldn't get enough value for him a couple years back when he was younger and represented an expiring deal. 

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
This is stupid. Ugh.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Pierce for Rudy Gay?

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 05:25:05 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
If the right deal came along I'd move the captain. It'd be sad to see him go, but its about the Celtics first

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Team executives involved in exploratory trade talks report that the Knicks (Amar'e Stoudemire), Lakers (Pau Gasol), Raptors (Bargnani) and Celtics (Paul Pierce) are open to discussing their high-profile names. In every case but one, the early indications are that none could be moved without a bad contract going back in return. (In Stoudemire's case, his health and the $45 million left on his contract after this season almost certainly will prevent any deal from happening.) The lone exception, executives say, may be Pierce, whose ruthless scoring prowess and championship experience come with another attractive feature: only $4 million of his $15.3 million salary is guaranteed next season. With the Celtics playing better since Avery Bradley returned from injury, president Danny Ainge once again finds himself trying to determine whether the remnants of the 2007-08 championship team have enough to make one more run. Some rival executives believe the Celtics recently waived Jarvis Varnado and Kris Joseph to create roster flexibility for a potential trade. If Ainge decides to stand pat, a deal involving Pierce -- which would mark the true end of the Big Three era -- could be re-examined around the draft or during free agency.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/21539972/postups-gay-trade-bait-as-grizzlies-maneuver-between-winning-taxes

Say it isn't so.

Roy, I forget the rules on this.  Could Pierce be traded on draft day, and then cut, so there would only be the $4 million guaranteed?

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 05:26:07 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
I think this year the C's make a major trade.  I think it will be either:

1. Rondo for cousins and maybe Evans
2. Pierce for Gay
3. Or role players for gortat

I think any one of these are good deals for the C's. I really like Rudy,  but I don't like the idea of giving up Pierce; however, that's a deal you have to do if it's on the table