Author Topic: Gortat on trade rumors  (Read 6991 times)

Re: Gortat on trade rumors
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I am a little less enthusiastic about Gortat after seeing him play.  There were more than a couple of cases where he played what I thought was very lazy defense.  His season on-court, off-court stats from 82games are:

Stat                                ON Court   OFF Court    Net
Offense: Pts per 100 Poss.  105.2        103.9     +1.3
Defense: Pts per 100 Poss.  109.4        108.9     +0.5

This is a little hard to follow but the bottom line is that the Suns are slightly better defensively when he is OFF the court.  Maybe he would snap out of it if he came to the Cs but I saw a guy who was coasting on defense to avoid fouls and then working hard when there was a positive stat involved.  He would still likely help but this just reduces what I would be willing to give up for him.

I'm going to have to disagree a bit here.  Watching Gortat on Wednesday (and I was actually at the game, not that that means much), it was clear that he altered and bothered a lot of shots at the rim, which gave the Celtics trouble at times.  He also killed the Celtics a number of times in the pick and roll, getting easy looks at the rim.  The Celtics really need a guy with the ability to rebound, bother and block shots, set good picks, and roll to the rim and finish.  Gortat can do all of that quite well. 

He's no star, but he's a very solid seven foot center with few drawbacks given his size and position.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I am a little less enthusiastic about Gortat after seeing him play.  There were more than a couple of cases where he played what I thought was very lazy defense.  His season on-court, off-court stats from 82games are:

This is a little hard to follow but the bottom line is that the Suns are slightly better defensively when he is OFF the court.  Maybe he would snap out of it if he came to the Cs but I saw a guy who was coasting on defense to avoid fouls and then working hard when there was a positive stat involved.  He would still likely help but this just reduces what I would be willing to give up for him.

I'm going to have to disagree a bit here.  Watching Gortat on Wednesday (and I was actually at the game, not that that means much), it was clear that he altered and bothered a lot of shots at the rim, which gave the Celtics trouble at times.  He also killed the Celtics a number of times in the pick and roll, getting easy looks at the rim.  The Celtics really need a guy with the ability to rebound, bother and block shots, set good picks, and roll to the rim and finish.  Gortat can do all of that quite well. 

He's no star, but he's a very solid seven foot center with few drawbacks given his size and position.

I think (b/c I'm to lazy to check), he had like 5 blocks, and 14rbs (Scola had 16rbs), and double digit points. Even with all that, I wouldn't go all out for that sinking ship either!! I think he did pretty well given that... no one our team has a stat line like that on their best nights (although Sully's line was comparable every way except the blocks).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 05:50:35 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Well he might look kind of bad now, but put him next to Rondo and he will surely look a lot better. Besides, you want to trade for players when their value is as low as it can get. You all wouldn't trade Bass and scraps for Gortat?

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 06:50:22 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

I think he would fit in well here. He's a role player on a bad team, he's probably checked out.

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Well he might look kind of bad now, but put him next to Rondo and he will surely look a lot better. Besides, you want to trade for players when their value is as low as it can get. You all wouldn't trade Bass and scraps for Gortat?

For the record, yes, I would trade Bass and scraps for Gortat but I still think his stats are soft after watching the parts of the game that I saw (and what I remember of him when he was with Orlando and I saw him more).

I think some team is going to be fooled by the stats and over pay in a trade.  I hope it is not the Celtics.  I would be very happy with a good trade and maybe that can still come true.

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 11:36:54 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Would love him but at this point I don't really want to give anyone on our team up but bass to get him. And bass and a pick for gortat ain't happening.

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 12:13:07 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
You guys really think the Suns would take Lee/Bass + Melo + a draft pick?

LOL.

There is no way they trade a double double big man ata  reasonable price for that.

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 03:21:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
unless we trade either Green, Bradley or Sully, how do we get Gortat?? Phoenix is going to want nothing less

The answer is, we don't.

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
unless we trade either Green, Bradley or Sully, how do we get Gortat?? Phoenix is going to want nothing less

The answer is, we don't.

Yeah Bass, Melo, and a pick probably isn't good enough.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 03:28:25 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 717

The answer is, we don't.

Yeah Bass, Melo, and a pick probably isn't good enough.

so Green for Gortat - straight up ??
would Phoenix do that ?
i'd be willing to add a little more, but not Sully or Bradley.

also, i'm not as ready as some to just throw Brandon Bass into any trade that we are interested in. I like Bass a lot and for whatever reason, the team does well when he starts instead of coming off the bench - kinda reminds me of Steve Kuberski and Paul Silas on the '74 title team - that team just did better when Kuberski started and Silas came in later. plus Bass is a team guy who likes it here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:42:16 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce