Author Topic: J.J. Hickson- The Player We Need  (Read 4285 times)

Re: J.J. Hickson- The Player We Need
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Nope! couldn't see him getting minutes over sullinger or bass or any team with legit hopes...I remember reading he'd rather play on a non playoff team so he could get minutes and put up numbers as opposed to earlier in his career...he's a loser

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
He's playing well this year but he isn't the defensive minded center we need.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:17:09 PM by ScottHow »

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
JJ Hickson -- because Sullinger, Bass (and even Green) are just not enough...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Portland should dump Hickson for whatever they can get for him.

He is not part of the long term solution there and he is about to become a vastly overpaid player this summer. Portland should cut ties with him as soon as possible for whatever assets they can pick up for him.

If Lillard/Wes/Batum/Aldridge is the core, what should they add?

Very thin beyond those four players. Is Meyers Leonard the franchise 5 going forward?
For Hickson? They are not going to get anything of serious value for him. A low first round pick. Something like that.

As for their core = Wes Matthews isn't a core player. The other three guys are core players. So they have a PG and two forwards in place. So, the Blazers are still looking for long term solutions at SG and C.

Meyers Leonard? Maybe. It's too early to say. Showing some promise but it's only promise at this stage. Even if he comes good, he is still a few years away from being what they need him to be.

From the way they pursued Hibbert in the summer, it looks like Portland's first priority is landing a center. I expect they'll continue to search for that player. Someone to anchor their defense alongside Aldridge.

I don't think they should be worried at all about their weak bench at this point. They need to get the core of their team sorted first. They are still at least one high level starter (maybe two) away from being where they need to be. Then they can worry about their depth.

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
He is another version of what the Celtics have.  A 6'9 PF.

Agree. He'd not be an impact acquisition. I'd swap him for Bass, but the Blazers wouldn't.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 02:43:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The more I think about it, and the more I watch him, the more I realize that J.J Hickson is truly the perfect player for this team and would help us immensely.

He's having a year in Portland, currently averages double digit rebounds. However, there are rumors (I think?) that the Blazers wouldn't be against moving him so they can increase playing time for younger guys.

Thoughts?

If they say that they want to get rid of a 24 year old center to make more time for younger guys you can be pretty sure that's not the whole story.

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 03:12:36 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I have a bad feeling this is a guy playing for a contract and in an ideal situation. Not that JJ is a bad player he just is playing above himself this year.

At least when he played for the Cavs i thought of him as more of a 4/3 maybe this has changed but I know he isnt the 4/5 shot blocker we need.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Portland should dump Hickson for whatever they can get for him.

He is not part of the long term solution there and he is about to become a vastly overpaid player this summer. Portland should cut ties with him as soon as possible for whatever assets they can pick up for him.

I agree with this. Nice high energy player but is nothing more than a role player on a contender.

C's need a rim protector above all else.

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Get real he is always underperforming.  What a dud.

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 04:58:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Might as well title the thread: "J.J. Hickson: The Player the Blazers Aren't Going to Trade to the Celtics"
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain