Author Topic: J.J. Hickson- The Player We Need  (Read 4284 times)

J.J. Hickson- The Player We Need
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
The more I think about it, and the more I watch him, the more I realize that J.J Hickson is truly the perfect player for this team and would help us immensely.

He's having a year in Portland, currently averages double digit rebounds. However, there are rumors (I think?) that the Blazers wouldn't be against moving him so they can increase playing time for younger guys.

The other benefit to going after Hickson is we may be able to pry him without giving up too much. This team is really beginning to play into its own and I don't like the idea of giving up a lot of pieces for a pf/c, especially with Sully playing so well.

My idea for Hickson is Bass and a first. Salaries may be a little off but Bass and Hickson make around the same amount so it could be fixed.

Why does it make sense?

For Portland- lets them increase minutes for their younger guys and get a scorer off the bench. Right now, the Blazers bench is awful (pretty sure Jared Jeffries backs up Aldrich?). Bass off the bench for them would be instant scoring when Aldrich is on the bench.

For us- Another physical rebounder that gives us options! With Hickson, we could start him at C and move Kg back to pf. Hickson gives our first unit rebounding. Sully comes off the bench and gives the second unit rebounding. Rebounding solved. And when kg sits, imagine Sully and Hickson together? bye bye rebounding and toughness problems.

Thoughts?

Re: J.J. Hickson- The Player We Need
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:15:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is another version of what the Celtics have.  A 6'9 PF. 

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:17:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hickson's rebounding is inflated by playing next to Aldridge. I have my doubts that his defensive board work this year is sustainable or would translate if he's put next to another good defensive rebounder.

He's a good offensive player at the C position, needs to score to have a positive impact though. He's not a good defender though, both individually and in help defense.

Basically a better version of Wilcox.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley

Much tougher and more versatile player than the celtics already have (with the exception of sully). Much better rebounder than Bass. Blazers currently start the guy at C and he's thriving

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:19:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Much tougher and more versatile player than the celtics already have (with the exception of sully). Much better rebounder than Bass. Blazers currently start the guy at C and he's thriving
How is he versatile?

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
Hickson's rebounding is inflated by playing next to Aldridge. I have my doubts that his defensive board work this year is sustainable or would translate if he's put next to another good defensive rebounder.

He's a good offensive player at the C position, needs to score to have a positive impact though. He's not a good defender though, both individually and in help defense.

Possibly, though it could change in our system. It's one of those cases where you don't really know unless you try. I think paired up with KG he would still be a good defensive rebounder, KG's rebounding rate has been steadily decreasing

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

He rebounds more.

Still doesn't defend the paint. 

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 01:22:24 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley

How is he versatile?

Versatile may have been the wrong word. I just meant that he could play two positions effectively.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 01:25:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

How is he versatile?

Versatile may have been the wrong word. I just meant that he could play two positions effectively.
Not really, he was pretty awful at PF overall, killed floor spacing if the other frontcourt player couldn't shoot.

He'd fit fine next to KG (similar to Aldridge)

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Possibly, though it could change in our system. It's one of those cases where you don't really know unless you try. I think paired up with KG he would still be a good defensive rebounder, KG's rebounding rate has been steadily decreasing
Yeah, though most of the decline is on the offensive glass, his DReb% has held pretty steady overall.

Still this is by far the highest defensive glass stretch of Hickson's career. I'm not counting on it.

Meanwhile defensively he's a mess, and I wouldn't be shocked if his team rebounding was poor too.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 01:29:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

just because they do doesn't mean we should.  I'd prefer a center of legit-center size.  you know, someone that could actually look KG eye-to-eye instead of looking up to him  ;)

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 01:32:08 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

How is he versatile?

he knows some Hebrew?
 :P

During the 2011 NBA lockout, he joined Bnei HaSharon, which plays in Ligat HaAl.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 01:35:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
JJ Hickson = Chris Wilcox 2.0

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 01:38:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Portland should dump Hickson for whatever they can get for him.

He is not part of the long term solution there and he is about to become a vastly overpaid player this summer. Portland should cut ties with him as soon as possible for whatever assets they can pick up for him.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Portland should dump Hickson for whatever they can get for him.

He is not part of the long term solution there and he is about to become a vastly overpaid player this summer. Portland should cut ties with him as soon as possible for whatever assets they can pick up for him.

If Lillard/Wes/Batum/Aldridge is the core, what should they add?

Very thin beyond those four players. Is Meyers Leonard the franchise 5 going forward?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague