Author Topic: Why can't Jeff Green put a streak of good (or bad) games together?  (Read 13693 times)

Re: Why can't Jeff Green put a streak of good (or bad) games together?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 04:01:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not even Terry or Ginobli in their primes ever had consistent scoring outputs

This isn't true at all.  I'm curious what this argument is based upon.

In 2008, Ginobili averaged 19.5 points on 46% shooting and a 40% 3PT%.

In 2009, Terry averaged 19.6 points on 46% shooting and a 37% 3PT%.

Both Ginobili and Terry were very consistent players.  That doesn't mean they scored 15 or 20 points every night -- no player does -- but they played very well consistently.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 04:02:45 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
His per36 numbers are actually right there with past seasons, except his shooting %

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The percentages aren't there, but as I've said before, with our guard and wing depth, the bench player's individual points will fluctuate.  What matters to me is the overall bench output.

Glad to see Jeff playing good defense lately.  That's half the game.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 04:04:25 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
If the totally overused cliche 'scoring wings are a dime a dozen in the NBA' holds any truth, then why pay Jeff Green $40Mil to be inconsistently... average?
Cap space, Bird Rights, Pierce backup, defense.

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 04:04:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
His per36 numbers are actually right there with past seasons, except his shooting %

This is true, which is why a lot of fans were never all that high on Jeff Green to begin with.  His primary skill is scoring, and he's mediocre at that.  What we're seeing now isn't really new, or due to role, or due to health. 

But, this isn't a bash Jeff Green thread.  He's filled his offensive role solidly about 50% of the time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 04:10:50 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
If the totally overused cliche 'scoring wings are a dime a dozen in the NBA' holds any truth, then why pay Jeff Green $40Mil to be inconsistently... average?

not a great list...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I really don't think its a minutes thing.

Agreed.  The minutes are a direct result of his inconsistent play, not a cause of it. 

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I really don't think its a minutes thing.

Agreed.  The minutes are a direct result of his inconsistent play, not a cause of it.

+1
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

We probably could have had Matt Barnes, who is better than Green IMO, for the vet minimum.

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
not a great list...
It's reality. If we don't give JG his payday, we either have to blow up some of the other offseason moves (like Terry or Lee) to free up some money, or we pick up some leftover SF at the vet min. Sign and trade wasn't an option, either, iirc.

So enjoy the somewhat stale sandwich known as Jeff Green. He's imperfect, but he's ours. Personally I like the match-up problems he causes, and I'm hoping that he'll become a little more consistent as the season wears on.

Fortunately we'll get another test of Roy's theory tonight. Who's Jeff most likely to match up against? Delfino? Random minutes against Parsons?

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 04:34:08 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
not a great list...
It's reality. If we don't give JG his payday, we either have to blow up some of the other offseason moves (like Terry or Lee) to free up some money, or we pick up some leftover SF at the vet min. Sign and trade wasn't an option, either, iirc.

So enjoy the somewhat stale sandwich known as Jeff Green. He's imperfect, but he's ours. Personally I like the match-up problems he causes, and I'm hoping that he'll become a little more consistent as the season wears on.

Fortunately we'll get another test of Roy's theory tonight. Who's Jeff most likely to match up against? Delfino? Random minutes against Parsons?

The reality is there were better role players available for the bi-annual or vet min.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 04:36:34 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
The reality is there were better role players available for the bi-annual or vet min.
"Available" doesn't mean that they're coming here. Matt Barnes was formerly on the Lakers, he can join the Clippers without even changing his parking space. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as they say.

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 04:43:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
"Available" doesn't mean that they're coming here. Matt Barnes was formerly on the Lakers, he can join the Clippers without even changing his parking space. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as they say.
Not only that, but Matt Barnes performance this season is an outlier.

In previous years he was a plus rebounding, minus defender, and okay shooting SF.

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 04:53:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I want to challenge the premise of this thread.

I think considering the role that Green has been asked to play (or perhaps the lackthereof), Green has done fine.

And often I get the sense that people judge Green's performance entirely on whether he reaches 14, 15, 16 or more points.  That's silly, if you ask me, because Green's deal has always been that he's pretty good at a lot of things but not elite at anything in particular.  He's not going to be a prolific scorer unless he has a good matchup in a particular game or a particular stretch of minutes.  That's just who he is, and we have to learn to accept that.  Green is NOT Paul Pierce -- i.e. a natural born scorer -- and we should not expect him to suddenly become one.

Green can score 7-8 points and still have a good game if he plays solid defense, maybe gets a block or a steal, makes some hustle plays, and generally helps keep the team stable for 18-20 minutes while Pierce is not playing. 

Green can be living up to REASONABLE expectations even if he's only averaging 10-12 points per game in 20-25 minutes.

Despite all of the gnashing of teeth about Green's contract, the bottom line is that he's a better SF backup than the vast majority of teams in the league have at their disposal.  Show me a list of all of these great role players who are better than Jeff Green playing for the minimum or bi-annual.  Most of the highly productive, athletic players on cheap contracts are rookies.

Green's ability to give quality minutes is important for this team moving forward considering that Pierce is too old to spend all of his minutes defending LeBron or Melo and still have energy to carry a large load on offense.  That's why Danny traded for Green in the first place.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Not only that, but Matt Barnes performance this season is an outlier.

In previous years he was a plus rebounding, minus defender, and okay shooting SF.

I was think more of Martell Webster, Ronnie Brewer and Marquis Daniels, personally. PJ Tucker and Josh Howard (yes -- i know he's injured) would have made some sense as well.

Cs also could have drafted Jeff Taylor, Draymond Green or Jae Crowder at 22. 

Mike

(My name is not Mike)