Author Topic: Why can't Jeff Green put a streak of good (or bad) games together?  (Read 13694 times)

Re: Why can't Jeff Green put a streak of good (or bad) games together?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 01:13:15 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Sooo... against Houston he will stink...tonight?

I no likey it amigo   :'(
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 01:16:44 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

maybe he breaks it tonight.... im gonna be cautiously optimistic

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

maybe he breaks it tonight.... im gonna be cautiously optimistic

yay... lets be  ;D

Go C's
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

I think it's more mental from post surgery and he will get better and better as the year goes on. I think the playoffs Jeff will be nothing like we see him now. He's looked more comfortable and confident with each game.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
His problem is he has the talent, just not the mentality.

I really think his first few minutes are huge every game. If it starts out ok, he gains confidence and plays well. If not, then he plays bad. I have no stats to back that up, I just feel like he isn't comfortable in his own skin and has no confidence.

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 02:20:28 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Offensive End ~ Because he has no left hand. Defenders who take it away make him passive, because he's not a good enough shooter to make guys pay for backing off and shading him left. He misses a few shots, then gets passive. I think if he worked on driving in a more diverse capacity, he'd benefit greatly.

Defensive End ~ It gets a little scarier here. His effort as a man defender and rebounder is oddly poor. In short he has the talent and size to be above average at both, but he doesn't focus every time down the floor, rendering him well below average at each. I'd argue he's the worst man defender on the team, and he certainly shouldn't be.

Bottom Line ~ Much like the Celtics as a team, I think good defense would foster good offense for Green. When he's doing his Ole! routine on the defensive end and defensive glass, he looks equally passive on the offensive end. I hope Doc is preaching defense first to Green in hopes of getting a more consistent effort from him every night...

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 02:32:11 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
It may not be a minutes thing but I don't like how he's played less than 25 min 20 times so far and less than 20 minutes 9 times

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It may not be a minutes thing but I don't like how he's played less than 25 min 20 times so far and less than 20 minutes 9 times

In games where he's played below 21 minutes, Green is shooting 20-for-64 (31%).  If you take out two games where he was playing well, in the other 9 games Green shot 22.4%. 

It could be that the reason he didn't see more minutes in those games was because he was playing poorly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

While I agree some players need consistent minutes to play well, it's not like Green has been playing well enough to deserve those minutes.

Chicken or the egg? Poor play=low min or low min=poor play?

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I think the biggest factor in his up and down play are the match ups. When he has a mismatch the Cs tend to look for him to score (ex novak). The problem is when he doesn't have a favorable match-up the Cs dont look to him at all.

Jeff has 3 sides to his game. 1. the corner 3pt shooter 2. triple threat driving the lane 3. post scorer. Doc needs to start incorporating all 3 into every game plan. Most teams don't have a player who can stop him at all 3. The corner 3 is always there, driving the lane should happen when ever a bigger slower player is on him, and when teams play him small he needs to work on the block. Doc needs to make him match up problem every game.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

In games where he's played below 21 minutes, Green is shooting 20-for-64 (31%).  If you take out two games where he was playing well, in the other 9 games Green shot 22.4%. 

It could be that the reason he didn't see more minutes in those games was because he was playing poorly.

That could be a reason.

IMO Green just will not be that great a player coming off the bench playing under 20 minutes a game. He's not a volume shooter and he's not going to get a ton of looks playing that amount. So sometimes he will do alright and sometimes he will go 0-3 and not have a chance to make up ground.

Even in Greens best games he plays around 25 min. Its not like he gets rewarded that much even when he is playing well. So to me the minutes don't really make any sense. I would like to see 25min or so at least a game and see what we've got. He hasn't been given that opportunity yet. Maybe he doesn't deserve it but he hasn't really been given a huge opportunity (even though he was given a fat contract)

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Looking at Jeff Green's game log, he has yet to put together a three game streak of good scoring games.  (I'm defining a "good scoring game" fairly loosely as double-digit points, and 40%+ from the field.

Green came closest between 12/7 and 12/12, as he scored between 15 and 19 points in three straight games.  However, in the 3rd game he shot 5-for-16 (31.3%).

His game log is pretty crazy.  Anybody see a pattern here?:

12/18:  3 points on 17% shooting
12/19:  3 points on 25% shooting

followed by:

12/21:  14 points on 44% shooting
12/25:  15 points on 63% shooting

followed by:

12/27:  8 points on 33% shooting
12/29:  6 points on 18% shooting

followed by:

12/30:  16 points on 29% shooting (outlier)
1/2:    10 points on 80% shooting

followed by:

1/4:    2 points on 25% shooting
1/5:    3 points on 25% shooting

followed by:

1/7:    16 points on 50% shooting
1/9:    14 points on 56% shooting

It's just bizarre.  With one outlier, he's basically had a pattern of two good games followed by two bad games for the past month.

Why can't this guy put a streak together?

1) He was eased into the season

2) He doesn't play enough consistent minutes

That is all.

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Looking at Jeff Green's game log, he has yet to put together a three game streak of good scoring games.  (I'm defining a "good scoring game" fairly loosely as double-digit points, and 40%+ from the field.

Green came closest between 12/7 and 12/12, as he scored between 15 and 19 points in three straight games.  However, in the 3rd game he shot 5-for-16 (31.3%).

His game log is pretty crazy.  Anybody see a pattern here?:

12/18:  3 points on 17% shooting
12/19:  3 points on 25% shooting

followed by:

12/21:  14 points on 44% shooting
12/25:  15 points on 63% shooting

followed by:

12/27:  8 points on 33% shooting
12/29:  6 points on 18% shooting

followed by:

12/30:  16 points on 29% shooting (outlier)
1/2:    10 points on 80% shooting

followed by:

1/4:    2 points on 25% shooting
1/5:    3 points on 25% shooting

followed by:

1/7:    16 points on 50% shooting
1/9:    14 points on 56% shooting

It's just bizarre.  With one outlier, he's basically had a pattern of two good games followed by two bad games for the past month.

Why can't this guy put a streak together?

1) He was eased into the season

2) He doesn't play enough consistent minutes

That is all.

How do either of those things explain why he's been in a consistent pattern of "two good games, two bad games" for the last month now?  His up-and-down struggles early in the season might be explained by that, but not his recent play.

It's just bizarre.  Offensively, Green looks valuable 50% of the time, and borderline terrible the other 50% of the time.  He doesn't really go through slumps, or through hot streaks.  Rather, he is schizophrenic in two-game blocks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Well he is a BENCH player. Not even Terry or Ginobli in their primes ever had consistent scoring outputs

IMO Doc needs to play Green at least 30 min a game for every game

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
What scares me is that in Green's GOOD games he averages 14 points on 50% shooting. He hasn't had a 20 point game yet this year. With bad defense and rebounding, and a completely overblown reputation as a passer, to boot.

If the totally overused cliche 'scoring wings are a dime a dozen in the NBA' holds any truth, then why pay Jeff Green $40Mil to be inconsistently... average?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)